WiiM Pro Preview

Here's a rendering of what WiiM Pro will look like. We're expecting WiiM Pro to launch by early December and will be sold through Amazon.com. More info will be on our website www.wiimhome.com. Please stay tuned! In the meantime, we'd love to hear your thoughts on what you think of WiiM Pro 🤔

Screen Shot 2022-12-01 at 3.53.09 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-12-01 at 3.52.29 PM.png

Tech Specs
Software
  • Chromecast Audio
  • AirPlay 2
  • DLNA
  • (Roon Ready expected late Dec or early Q1 2023) - updated
  • MICless Amazon Alexa Voice Service
    (AVS) MRM (Multi-Room)
  • BT A2DP Source and Sink
  • Linkplay streaming services and multiroom
  • Spotify Connect/TIDAL Connect/Amazon Music cast
  • HD Output 24-bit/192kHz
  • Bit perfect output
  • True gapless playback
  • 10-band EQ or 24 Preset EQs
  • TI Audiophile DAC
  • Frequent FW/App updates
  • Mobile and PC App
Button and LED
  • Capacitive touch control: Play/Pause, Volume +, Volume -, 1 x Presets
  • LED: BT/WiFi/Line-in modes
Hardware
  • Connectivity: Wi-Fi 2.4G/5G, BT5.1, Ethernet (100M)
  • Line In RCA
  • Optical In
  • Line out RCA
  • Digital Coaxial Out
  • Optical SPDIF Out
  • USB Type-C power
  • 12v Trigger for AMP
  • Mic for Multiroom audio auto-sync
  • SBC and AAC codec

Amazon Link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BJDY6D1W

Attachments

• WiiM Pro (front).png
    WiiM Pro (front).png
    17.9 KB · Views: 2,179
  • WiiM Pro (back).png
    WiiM Pro (back).png
    24 KB · Views: 1,543
Last edited:
May be a good starting point for digging deeper. Or losing ground 😉
If I can disrupt this entrance to another rabbit hole, I can report a slight improvement when switching to an existing Allo digione on a Pi 3 B+ as compared to the Wiim, using the same wire and DAC

However, the Wiim is better suited for driving my older computer speakers as an outdoor work motivation streamer.. which allows them to coexist in my setup

Still, rabbit holes have been able to sidetrack this distraction, so carry on....

Quite sure not 😉
Had this page bookmarked a while ago. It comes back in mind every time this theme appears. To avoid that for me I deleted it already from the bookmarks.

Quite sure not 😉
Had this page bookmarked a while ago. It comes back in mind every time this theme appears. To avoid that for me I deleted it already from the bookmarks.
What would an audio...hmm, or any, forum be like without a rabbit hole?

I've made some rough tests with the Pro and different cables terminated at 50 or 75 ohms, and results varied. Signal level differences were obvious but it wasn't so obvious with the observed signal quality. I'm skeptical a bit about the declared impedances for RCA cables, but I have no equipment to verify it.
Cables are made to order in my city. The manufacturer asks Do you need 50 ohms or 75 ohms? It is necessary to connect the output of the Wiim pro and the input of the Topping dx3pro + DAC via coaxial. The optical output is busy with me. At 50 ohm, the cable is thin and flexible. At 75 ohms it's much thicker and stiffer. And the central vein itself is the same for both. Here I don't know. Which one to order?

Cables are made to order in my city. The manufacturer asks Do you need 50 ohms or 75 ohms? It is necessary to connect the output of the Wiim pro and the input of the Topping dx3pro + DAC via coaxial. The optical output is busy with me. At 50 ohm, the cable is thin and flexible. At 75 ohms it's much thicker and stiffer. And the central vein itself is the same for both. Here I don't know. Which one to order?
All I can be sure here is that both kinds can be stiff or flexible. For example Mogami 2964 is 75 ohms and flexible.
As we do not have a clarity I'd suggest 75 ohms one.

All I can be sure here is that both kinds can be stiff or flexible. For example Mogami 2964 is 75 ohms and flexible.
Thank you. For advice. I'm more interested in the quality of signal transmission. Rigidity is not that important. I'm also leaning towards 75 ohms. There is very little information on the forums specifically about using 50 ohms or 75 ohms. Maybe there is no difference in quality?

Thank you. For advice. I'm more interested in the quality of signal transmission. Rigidity is not that important. I'm also leaning towards 75 ohms. There is very little information on the forums specifically about using 50 ohms or 75 ohms. Maybe there is no difference in quality?
The SPDIF specification for coax is 75 Ohms, there is no consideration there for quality. Both the sending and receiving device should adhere to 75 Ohms if they are following the SPDIF specification, and so too should the connecting cable.
A composite video cable should also be 75 Ohms, if you still have one laying around give it a go.

The SPDIF specification for coax is 75 Ohms, there is no consideration there for quality. Both the sending and receiving device should adhere to 75 Ohms if they are following the SPDIF specification, and so too should the connecting cable.
A composite video cable should also be 75 Ohms, if you still have one laying around give it a go.
Thank you . everything became clear. I order a 75 ohm coax.

Follow up question. And theoretically, a 50 ohm cable will degrade the signal quality? Compared to 75 ohms? I can't check it myself yet. Since it is necessary to order the manufacture of cables.

Do not expect a clear advice here, nobody will take responsibility 😉 They all can measure everything and nothing. The result will nearly each time be a clear and straight "it depends".
Do not expect an audible difference, this discussion is as old as hifi is. If you want to avoid an only theoretically possible decrease in sound quality go for the 75 Ohm. If not satisfied you can sue me at the SCOHF.

Want to add for all eventualities my words are valid for "normal" cable length, lets say up to three meters. If you want to use significantly longer RCAs there is a chance that is has an impact.

Do not expect a clear advice here, nobody will take responsibility 😉 They all can measure everything and nothing. The result will nearly each time be a clear and straight "it depends".
Do not expect an audible difference, this discussion is as old as hifi is. If you want to avoid an only theoretically possible decrease in sound quality go for the 75 Ohm. If not satisfied you can sue me at the SCOHF.
Thank you . I ordered 75 ohms. I think my 63 year old ears are not very picky. I can't hear the difference. Cable length 1 meter.

My ears are even nearly 72 years old. But I could not hear a difference years ago. And my ears are and have always been among the best working parts of my body 😉

Моим ушам даже почти 72 года. Но много лет назад я не услышал разницы. А мои уши были и всегда были одной из лучших рабочих частей моего тела.😉
Да в молодости и уши и еще что-то работают...:)

The result will nearly each time be a clear and straight "it depends".
Exactly, it depends if each the sending and receiving devices both strictly adhere to the 75 Ohm specification (or not), and also the cable stock and connectors themselves. Invariably there will be some deviation from 75 Ohms unless using BNC instead of RCA, however that doesn't mean sound quality will be wrecked.
That said, there is no good reason to opt for a 50 Ohm cable when the specification calls for 75 Ohms.

I await my new Wiim Pro Plus, at which point I can use my fancy schmancy 75 Ohm coax cable, currently this cable's Canare RCA connector barrel diameter is too large to fit the opening in the Pro's chassis.

BJC -75 Ohm.jpeg

I chose QED Performance Digital based on the perfectly adequate tech specs and the fact that the connector would actually fit the Pro. ;)

I await my new Wiim Pro Plus, at which point I can use my fancy schmancy 75 Ohm coax cable, currently this cable's Canare RCA connector barrel diameter is too large to fit the opening in the Pro's chassis.

View attachment 2300

good point, any cable that can't fit inside the cutout is unusable

The pro plus is a bigger cutout (from photos) so could likely fit a larger connector

From this photo, I think this cable would fit the pro plus, but certainly I'm guessing

No issue with such Canare plugs and the Pro Plus. It's hard to go in but it fits also my Pro.

Back