How to use optical output with soundbar?

Kpyhifi

I have a WiiM Pro and a WiiM Mini. The Pro is connected via RCA line out to a Sony HT-A7000 analog input. I have tried using the Pro optical out to the Sony optical in to use the Sony soundbar internal DAC but have struggled to maintain a useable connection. The Sony soundbar is connected to a Sony Bravia TV by HDMI eARC. The optical connection between the WiiM Pro and the soundbar seems only to work reliably if I manually select TV audio input on the soundbar settings menu as optical only rather than auto/HDMI. This means to watch actual TV audio on the soundbar after using the WiiM Pro I have to manually change back the settings on the soundbar to HDMI. I don’t want to use an optical connection between the TV and the soundbar as this would be an inferior audio quality connection for watching movies. I also have a Sony UBP-800 Blu-ray player connected to the TV by HDMI. I have a large collection of CDs which play fine, and also 5.1 multichannel SACDs which sadly I am now only able to play via a Bluetooth (albeit LDAC) to the soundbar due to HDCP limitations which I only discovered after purchase. (The soundbar replaced an AVR and KEF speakers). Other family members are not familiar with all the menus etc and do not want to fiddle with settings just to watch TV understandably. I also use the Pro with my turntable, connected via an iFi phono pre-amp to the RCA line in inputs. The analog output from the Pro is again as before used to connect to the soundbar. I like the ability to have multiroom audio from my Technics SL-1500 turntable (grouping the Pro and the Mini, which is connected via analog out to a Sony wireless speaker). I stream Hi-Res music (I’ve tried Tidal, Quboz and Amazon, and have settled on Amazon. The soundbar does 360RA and Dolby Atmos via Alexa Cast itself, and can handle very high quality audio formats). Any ideas? I’m wondering what connections would give me the best audio quality without sacrificing ease of use connectivity. It may be that using the soundbar’s own streaming capabilities is better than using the WiiM. The main reason I got the WiiM was for the ability to have multiroom audio from my turntable. All suggestions gratefully received!

So the soundbar is switching to the hdmi input even if the tv is in standby?
I've seen this reported before for a Sony turning an avr on via arc when the tv was in standby.
I'd imagine that if you disconnected the hdmi from the tv end it'd work - i.e. that the tv is sending a signal, causing the switching.
iirc, a tv menu option somewhere helped that person.

So the soundbar is switching to the hdmi input even if the tv is in standby?
I've seen this reported before for a Sony turning an avr on via arc when the tv was in standby.
I'd imagine that if you disconnected the hdmi from the tv end it'd work - i.e. that the tv is sending a signal, causing the switching.
iirc, a tv menu option somewhere helped that person.
Hi - yes that’s right, even when TV in standby.

Back