WD MyCloud Home

Duncan Clench

I have all my music in a folder on a MyCloud home - there doesn't seem to be a way of getting it indexed on the phone app but the windows app appears to have that functionality (the windows app appears to be indexing it and I will leave it for a while to see how it gets on)

Am I missing something with the phone app?

I have all my music in a folder on a MyCloud home - there doesn't seem to be a way of getting it indexed on the phone app but the windows app appears to have that functionality (the windows app appears to be indexing it and I will leave it for a while to see how it gets on)

Am I missing something with the phone app?
You're right, the WiiM app doesn't index network shares.
Can't you install Plex on the MyCloud?

Hi Duncan,

Are you running a DLNA server on your MyCloud or PC ?
A Wiim needs a DLNA/UpNP server running to access files over a network.
is your MyCloud mapped as a drive on your PC ?

You're right, the WiiM app doesn't index network shares.
Can't you install Plex on the MyCloud?
Thanks for the reply

It will be interesting to see how the windows app does if I leave it overnight - I will be using my laptop mostly anyway.

The MyCloud Home runs Plex and the only device that is having problems with it is my WiiM amp.

Sometimes it can find the plex server sometimes it can't, when it does and you search for an album it comes up as blank

Hi Duncan,

Are you running a DLNA server on your MyCloud or PC ?
A Wiim needs a DLNA/UpNP server running to access files over a network.
is your MyCloud mapped as a drive on your PC ?
The MyCloud Home is mapped as a network drive but doesn't support DLNA

It will be interesting to see how the windows app does if I leave it overnight - I will be using my laptop mostly anyway.
The Windows home app is still in the very early stages of development, so it's really quite basic.I've tried it a couple of times and the vast majority of the scan time is taken scraping resources from the web e.g. artist images. Before you leave it scanning for hours on end, I'd let it scan a small subset to see if it suits your needs.

There really aren't many good options for controlling playback from a desktop, the best I've seen is foobar2000, but there's a bit of a learning curve.

Situation as of today

Plex - WiiM App - neither phone nor windows apps can see the plex server, they could on initial setup but not now

The windows app has indexed some of the folder on the MyCloud Home no idea how much and it no longer seems to be actively indexing

Frustrating

Plex - WiiM App - neither phone nor windows apps can see the plex server, they could on initial setup but not now
I don't think I've seen discovery issues with Plex and the WiiM Home app before, so I'm surprised that you're seeing these.

You could install MinimServer on your PC and then control playback from the WiiM Home app on your phone, but if you're specifically looking to control it from your laptop then give foobar2000 and the UPnP plugin a try. If you're interested I could put some very basic instructions together, but it would have to be soon as I'm going away shortly.

I don't think I've seen discovery issues with Plex and the WiiM Home app before, so I'm surprised that you're seeing these.

You could install MinimServer on your PC and then control playback from the WiiM Home app on your phone, but if you're specifically looking to control it from your laptop then give foobar2000 and the UPnP plugin a try. If you're interested I could put some very basic instructions together, but it would have to be soon as I'm going away shortly.
Thanks for the offer but what I am hoping to get is the minimal devices/servers/softwares between me and the amp

I've settled for using plex amp on my phone just now, I have deleted the music folder from the windows app and re added it, it's now started a new index - I'll see how that goes

I used to use Volumio with my Denon AVR till that amp died (that's 2 Denon amps that have faulted, no more Denon for me)

Volumio had it's faults but it's streets ahead of WiiM at the moment which is a shame

I've just fired up a Plex instance and the Android WiiM app picked it up straight away.

Given PlexAmp doesn't use UPnP it might be worth trying another UPnP app to see if they have issues too e.g. BubbleUPnP or mconnect.

What was Volumio running on?
Raspberry Pi, connected to amp with HDMI, ran off an open browser tab - I have another Volumio in the living room connected to my Yamaha Receiver via a USB DAC to optical (as the Volumio won't play nice with the Acer Revo HDMI output)

I've just fired up a Plex instance and the Android WiiM app picked it up straight away.

Given PlexAmp doesn't use UPnP it might be worth trying another UPnP app to see if they have issues too e.g. BubbleUPnP or mconnect.
I can't run either of those on MyCloud Home and really don't want to be installing multiple servers on my laptop, I was hoping going with the WiiM would simplify things, one device reading files off the MyCloud (hopefully just using the WiiM app) unfortunately not working out that way for now

Sound quality is nice though :)

I can't run either of those on MyCloud Home and really don't want to be installing multiple servers on my laptop, I was hoping going with the WiiM would simplify things, one device reading files off the MyCloud (hopefully just using the WiiM app) unfortunately not working out that way for now

Sound quality is nice though :)
BubbleUPnP and mconnect are mobile UPnP control points just like the WiiM Home app. Trying one of these would verify your Plex DLNA configuration.

Bubbleupnp (android app) can access smb shares, so might be able to access the mycloud directly?
Yes, just folder browsing, but maybe better than nothing.

Bubbleupnp (android app) can access smb shares, so might be able to access the mycloud directly?
Yes, just folder browsing, but maybe better than nothing.
Plex amp preferrable to me for the moment, I'll see how the new indexing goes and keep those in mind for the future

I have factory reset the amp and uninstalled and reinstalled the app.

I also took another copy of my music library and plugged it into the USB socket of my router and enabled DLNA.

App still can't see the Plex server running on MyCloud Home (it did for a short time when I set it up on delivery)

It can see the music plugged into the router, well it can see about a 10th of it

I have previously used HEOS and Volumio and for their faults they are streets ahead of WiiM which is very dissapointing.

Back