power supply

It won't make any difference.

I’ll modify that.

It won’t make any difference based on any known scientific principle, or which has been proven by any controlled, double blind test.

You may quite legitimately have had an experience outside the parameters of these standards, and I do not comment on those experiences, other than to invite people to make their own conclusions, based on all the available evidence.

So that means that you know all scientific principles and know all controlled double-blind tests?
There's no one person that is the final authority on anything, IMHO.

Listeners don’t have to come to their own conclusions based on “all available evidence” - they can come to their own conclusion based simply on what they hear, whether that has scientific, ASR backed evidence or is no more than just confirmation bias in the eyes of others.

Some believe power supplies make a difference even when they’re using digital output from their WiiM, or that coax is better than optical, or that glass is better than plastic fibre, or more expensive interconnects are better than cheaper ones etc etc ad nauseum.

Ultimately, it’s their opinion and shouldn’t be denigrated because they don’t conform to “scientific principle”.

As I’ve said umpteen times before, people should by all means try alternative solutions and run with them for a week or so, then go back to what they originally had for another period. If after that, they hanker for what they felt the change provided, then keep it. Otherwise return it.

Let’s leave it at that and not have this escalate into another ASR v non-ASR believer thread…

Thanks

Brantome, I agree that everyone should try for themselves. But I’d disagree about extended listening for a week, then swapping.

Any difference will be more readily spotted with a quick AB comparison, or a number of quick AB comparisons.

Some of the differences we’re looking for are small. You’re not going to remember (as an example) -1dB at 3kHz with a 7-day gap.

Brantome, I agree that everyone should try for themselves. But I’d disagree about extended listening for a week, then swapping.

Any difference will be more readily spotted with a quick AB comparison, or a number of quick AB comparisons.

Some of the differences we’re looking for are small. You’re not going to remember (as an example) -1dB at 3kHz with a 7-day gap.
That’s how I’ve tended to test changes, auditory memory considerations aside - my hearing isn’t that acute or my brain that attuned that I’d hear minor changes during rapid a/b comparisons but if I listen to my usual music fare for an extended period and find the experience fatiguing to the extent I feel I need to turn the music off, then I know it’s not for me. It may not be scientific and it might give ASR aficionados palpitations, but different strokes for different folks :)

Really? Again and again?
The simple question from @dato1121 was "Have u heard of this power supply?"
If your answer is no, and I didn't read a single "yes", why shining with knowledge or general opinions to start another meta discussion about if or if not power supplies have an impact.

Really? Again and again?
The simple question from @dato1121 was "Have u heard of this power supply?"
If your answer is no, and I didn't read a single "yes", why shining with knowledge or general opinions to start another meta discussion about if or if not power supplies have an impact.

I believe there was a follow up question “How good is it?”

I fully appreciate Brantome’s desire to keep subjectivist v objectivist arguments away from these forums. But recently it does appear that this is to be achieved by allowing some to make whatever tinfoil hat subjectivist claims they like, whilst any objectivist claims are silenced.

This would be annoying and unfair in any context. But let’s remind ourselves that this is a WiiM forum. WiiM have made a name for themselves in the objectivist community - firstly with the Mini which, whilst having a poor DAC, could output a bit perfect stream, so the only limitation is your DAC.

They then further this excellent reputation with the superb Pro Plus, with has a DAC measured as transparent.

And those significant and towering achievements by WiiM, apparently we’re not supposed to mention them at the WiiM forums, whilst people making criticisms based on unsubstantiated claims are given free rein to criticise WiiM products.

I just find that to be decidedly odd.

Listeners don’t have to come to their own conclusions based on “all available evidence” - they can come to their own conclusion based simply on what they hear, whether that has scientific, ASR backed evidence or is no more than just confirmation bias in the eyes of others.

I feel you’ve misunderstood my comments. For clarity, when I said:

“You may quite legitimately have had an experience outside the parameters of these standards, and I do not comment on those experiences, other than to invite people to make their own conclusions, based on all the available evidence.”

I am not criticising anyone’s view, or saying they didn’t hear what they think they heard.

The people I invite to draw their own conclusions is anyone else.

They have a choice to listen to either what the science says, or what the original poster claims.

Sorry, isn’t that completely even-handed?

Not at all, but my firm belief is that you know very well how and where such discussions ends. If this is ok for your or your intention go ahead ;-)

I’d like to think we can both put points of view respectfully and politely.

I do not seek to denigrate anyone. If someone says they believe they can hear a difference, I’m sure that belief is true - they do genuinely believe they can hear a difference.

to answer OP's question: MCRU have a great reputation in the industry for producing quality power supplies for a wide range of audio equipment. in my mind the only question you need to ask yourself before taking the plunge is if the PSU is within your budget or not. :unsure:

did you end up ordering the unit? i've been debating between the MCRU power supply, the topping p50 and the ifi ipower2 and ipower x.

to answer OP's question: MCRU have a great reputation in the industry for producing quality power supplies for a wide range of audio equipment. in my mind the only question you need to ask yourself before taking the plunge is if the PSU is within your budget or not. :unsure:

did you end up ordering the unit? i've been debating between the MCRU power supply, the topping p50 and the ifi ipower2 and ipower x.
I've not used one of the MCRU lps but have tried one of their power cables a No88 I think. It solved a slight RF problem I had, I assume from the old cables shielding not being good enough for the situation. Good cable but definitely at the upper end of what I would pay.

I use SMPS power supplies on almost all the WIIM/Linkplay devices I have, I run one off a battery for the garden in the summer. The main reason is they mostly stay on all the time and use less power. I have tried to use fairly good ones with no fast charge capability, as I did bump into issues early doors with some cheap ones and fast/PD chargers. The bad supplies caused varying degrees of humming from the speakers when connected by RCA, from barely there to downright annoying.

SMPS use less electricity but I suppose you have to balance that with the fact you would be presumably turning off the LPS.

I know I saw a report on the forum of a member saying they had good results from a Topping P50. Its cheaper than the MCRU LPS. Obviously the iFi's are SMPS devices, with some kind of noise cancelling feedback tech built in, but area around the Toppings price depending on Sales etc.

I've not used one of the MCRU lps but have tried one of their power cables a No88 I think. It solved a slight RF problem I had, I assume from the old cables shielding not being good enough for the situation. Good cable but definitely at the upper end of what I would pay.

I use SMPS power supplies on almost all the WIIM/Linkplay devices I have, I run one off a battery for the garden in the summer. The main reason is they mostly stay on all the time and use less power. I have tried to use fairly good ones with no fast charge capability, as I did bump into issues early doors with some cheap ones and fast/PD chargers. The bad supplies caused varying degrees of humming from the speakers when connected by RCA, from barely there to downright annoying.

SMPS use less electricity but I suppose you have to balance that with the fact you would be presumably turning off the LPS.

I know I saw a report on the forum of a member saying they had good results from a Topping P50. Its cheaper than the MCRU LPS. Obviously the iFi's are SMPS devices, with some kind of noise cancelling feedback tech built in, but area around the Toppings price depending on Sales etc.

Thanks for sharing your insights... MCRU are indeed the real deal...

I would prefer to use a high quality SMPS as well, for the same reasons - efficiency and frankly a fire risk in my carpeted listening room!! There is also some evidence that they suit audio equipment better overall (assuming something is done to counteract noise from the transistors)

I haven't come across any legitimate competition to the ifi range though. Have you come across any? I would prefer to try out a few different manufacturers products if I'm gonna be shelling out hard cash for these items. In some cases more than I spent on the device(s) they will be powering!!

Can't seem to find any legitimate low-noise SMPS from any other brands. Especially in europe

Thanks for sharing your insights... MCRU are indeed the real deal...

I would prefer to use a high quality SMPS as well, for the same reasons - efficiency and frankly a fire risk in my carpeted listening room!! There is also some evidence that they suit audio equipment better overall (assuming something is done to counteract noise from the transistors)

I haven't come across any legitimate competition to the ifi range though. Have you come across any? I would prefer to try out a few different manufacturers products if I'm gonna be shelling out hard cash for these items. In some cases more than I spent on the device(s) they will be powering!!

Can't seem to find any legitimate low-noise SMPS from any other brands. Especially in europe

I settled on these

5V Charger 5Vdc 1A 2A 3A DC Power Supply Cord, AC 110-240V to DC 5 Volts 2.5A 1.5A Power Adapter Cable for Hello Baby Monitor Bluetooth Sony Speaker Raspberry Pi with 9 Tips. https://amzn.eu/d/iyz8JAi

Seem to do the job, the stated ripple is less than 50mV but obviously that has not been independently tested and other 'pro' supplies will have better figures. I figured power supplies were one of those items where the law of dismissing returns kicks in quite quickly. 😀

It is plugged into a power conditioner as well,

CS947 Tacima 6 Way Mains Conditioner with Surge Protection https://amzn.eu/d/hOrjqqS

yes the tacima is well known in the community cos of the what-HiFi 5 star rating... i may end up springing for one, but i reckon that might matter more for people in an area with noisy AC. i'm guessing the AC in my area is pretty clean, so i've been focusing on reducing common mode interference in the digital chain from streamer > DAC. :unsure:

but for some reason it seems to me like the cheap, free SMPS included in most (low-end/entry level) streamers and DACs etc are the weakest link in my chain. i've been on the lookout for high quality SMPS (esp alternatives to the relatively expensive iFi models) but so far my search has come up empty... thanks for sharing the amazon link to that SMPS 🙏

many reasons for choosing SMPS over LPS (like the cheap topping p50 etc) - for me in a carpeted listenting environment the efficiency/heat generation is a major consideration. also there is some evidence that (high-quality) SMPS are better suited to digital-first (or digital-only) audio chains compared to LPS. the jury is out, but tbh i can't see myself spending $$$ on a quality LPS until the jury is out on this one 🤷‍♂️

Back