WiiM sound comparizon Part 1 Power supply/RCA output

Wiimer

Major Contributor
Hi, all.

This is a video of the sound of the 4 different power supplies on the WIIM pro.
  1. WiiM Accessory AC Adapter
  2. ELECOM GaN 30W ACDC-PD0630WH
  3. ELECOM GaN 65W ACDC-PD1265BK
  4. Linear Power Supply
Please let me know what you think if you like. 🙂

Created by WiiM friends in Japan.
Thanks for Tak Kon.

Interesting.:)
During very short listening using my Sony xm1000 mk3 , I thought that ELECOM GaN 30W ACDC-PD0630WH sounded the best, and the bigger GaN charger slightly worse on second place. the WiiM stock power supply on third and the linear power supply surprisingly the worst with dull transients. Edit: This dull sound may be even worse through my Sony eaphones that are rather dull sounding.

As I already have found out , one has to test each and every power supply for the WiiM , theres no guaranty that the sound will be perceived as better with a linear power supply If its a bad one.

That said, even the worlds best powersupply on the WiiM pro using analog out is still handicaped by the inbuilt dac, and most external good sounding dacs will sound better.

Last edited:
Hi, all.

This is a video of the sound of the 4 different power supplies on the WIIM pro.
  1. WiiM Accessory AC Adapter
  2. ELECOM GaN 30W ACDC-PD0630WH
  3. ELECOM GaN 65W ACDC-PD1265BK
  4. Linear Power Supply
Please let me know what you think if you like. 🙂

Created by WiiM friends in Japan.
Thanks for Tak Kon.
Unfortunately with opus audio codec.

Interesting.:)
During very short listening using my Sony xm1000 mk3 , I thought that ELECOM GaN 30W ACDC-PD0630WH sounded clearly best, and the bigger GaN charger slightly worse on second place. the WiiM stock power supply on third and the linear power supply surprisingly the worst with dull transients.

as I already have found out , one has to test each and every power supply for the WiiM , theres no guaranty that the sound will be perceived as better with a linear power supply If its a bad one.

That said, even the worlds best powersupply on the WiiM pro using analog out is still handicaped by the inbuilt dac, and most external good sounding dacs will sound better.
Yeah the WiiM Pro best use is as a straight streamer out to an external quality DAC via coax SPDIF or better yet a clean USB port (if it had one) to a DAC with a modern USB receiver. This Ultra thing adds stuff that does not add any value for those who just need a WiFi streamer.

Unfortunately with opus audio codec.

Sure.
However, assuming that some people are listening to "unmeasurable sound", the resolution of the file may not matter much. 😁

I couldn't find the difference in the sound of the GaN that I got from you. So naturally, I can't even find the difference in this video. But I'm very interested in opinions like @Musician. 🤗

Thank you.

No audible difference is obvious for me, but I can imagine that in the world of "unmeasurable but audible differences" everything matters. When HD resolution vs CD resolution or lossless vs lossy is like "night and day" I would suspect that listening to the lossy opus compression must be really painful for some people ;)

Sure.
However, assuming that some people are listening to "unmeasurable sound", the resolution of the file may not matter much. 😁

I couldn't find the difference in the sound of the GaN that I got from you. So naturally, I can't even find the difference in this video. But I'm very interested in opinions like @Musician. 🤗

Thank you.
I will surely try a GaN power supply in the future.

The compression artefacts (opus audio) on youtube might also fool us - what is sounding slightly ”dull” to me ( the linear power supply ) might in the real world sound more ”natural” .
It probably takes long therm listening with the powersupplies in the listening room to make correct judgements

Last edited:

Here is the second review with the analog output from a WiiM pro+.

With my Markaudio speakers with Hypex ncore amp ( much better than my dull sounding Sony xm1000 mk3 ) I can now hear clear differences.
Now I rank the quality a little different, and the differences to my ears are bigger.

I rank those tracks as follows:

1. Linear power supply ( clearly best sound )
2. ELECOM GaN 30W ACDC-PD0630WH ( rather good )
3. Stock power supply
4. ELECOM GaN 65W ACDC-PD1265BK ( makes music boring )

Im pleasantly surpriced by the good soundquality material in this youtube video.

Last edited:

Here is the second review with the analog output from a WiiM pro+.

With my Markaudio speakers with Hypex ncore amp ( much better than my dull sounding Sony xm1000 mk3 ) I can now hear clear differences.
Now I rank the quality a little different, and the differences to my ears are bigger.

I rank those tracks as follows:

1. Linear power supply ( clearly best sound )
2. ELECOM GaN 30W ACDC-PD0630WH ( rather good )
3. Stock power supply
4. ELECOM GaN 65W ACDC-PD1265BK ( makes music boring )

Im pleasantly surpriced by the good soundquality material in this youtube video.
Hi, @Musician ,

I'm glad you posted this video.
Thank you. 😉

Back