Audio quality

TSHRED

I'm using the optical out from my television for sound and into my WiiM Pro Plus.
I also have an Nvidia Shield Pro that's attached to the television via HDMI.

I have Netflix installed on the television and I also have it installed on my Shield Pro.

Here's what I found odd.

While watching Netflix via the smart television the sound quality sounds inferior compared to when I ran Netflix on the Shield Pro via HDMI into the television.

My theory for this is that the LG OLED smart television's computer processing is inferior to the Nvidia Shield pro.

Does this make sense?
Am I correct in this theory?

I'm using the optical out from my television for sound and into my WiiM Pro Plus.

I have Netflix installed on the television and I also have it installed on my Shield Pro.

Here's what I found odd.

While watching Netflix via the smart television the sound quality sounds inferior compared to when I ran Netflix on the Shield Pro via HDMI into the television.

My theory for this is that the LG OLED smart television's computer processing is inferior to the Nvidia Shield pro.

Does this make sense?
No. LG OLED toslink audio is just fine. Check your settings.

Here's what I found odd.

Does this make sense?
Have you listened to and compared the audio settings and volume unified?

Reactions: jdh
The proper way to connect a tv panel to WiiM is via toslink. No volume control on the tv panel. Volume is either controlled by WiiM or preferably by outboard amp. No volume issues. Standard broadcast quality audio.

No. LG OLED toslink audio is just fine. Check your settings.
As I understand the OP, output from the TV into the WiiM Pro Plus is toslink in both cases, so he doesn't observe bad quality over toslink.

The question is, why the Nvidia Shield Pro (connected to the TV through HDMI) produces better sound.

Personally, I doubt this is related to the TV's processing capabilities, but the implementation as a whole, including the hardware and software.

Depending on the hardware you use, the volume of the app may vary. For example, the YouTube app on my Hisense TV is a bit louder than the YouTube app on Fire TV Stick. Also, if I turn on automatic volume control (normalization) on Fire stick, the volume will be even lower.

In such a case, the amplifier needs to adjust the volume before performing the sound quality comparison.

Back