Only just realised you need to change audio streaming quality in the app to get best quality

ZoydWheeler

So after using WiiM Pro Plus happily enough for two months, I've only just learned that you need to change the audio streaming quality in the app to get best quality sound output. DUH! (And I only learned this from a post on a WiiM Facebook group - can see nothing about this in the product brochure). Has anybody else fell foul of this snafu?!

One thing I've been doing forever is, whenever I get a new piece of technology, whether smartphone, tablet, AVR, etc, is to find the Settings or Options sections and go over the settings and adjust to my needs.

To me, it's like any other tool; you need to know its capabilities to use it to its full potential.

Also, make sure you do the same to whatever streaming service you use. Many times, the default settings are not set for max quality.

Last edited:
So after using WiiM Pro Plus happily enough for two months, I've only just learned that you need to change the audio streaming quality in the app to get best quality sound output. DUH! (And I only learned this from a post on a WiiM Facebook group - can see nothing about this in the product brochure). Has anybody else fell foul of this snafu?!
And yet you were happy enough until you thought you might not be... :devilish: ;)

So here's a question - this setting to choose the maximal optical or Coax output resolution - talks about 'to check your downstream device can support this resolution'... which makes me think > is this setting only applicable if you are using an external DAC?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-01 at 08.17.19.jpeg
    Screenshot 2024-04-01 at 08.17.19.jpeg
    272.4 KB · Views: 5
So here's a question - this setting to choose the maximal optical or Coax output resolution - talks about 'to check your downstream device can support this resolution'... which makes me think > is this setting only applicable if you are using an external DAC?
You only use that setting if you’re using that digital output, there’s a similar setting for the optical SPDIF output, so yes it’s only relevant when you’re not using the WiiM’s DAC and passing that job to an external DAC.

Re missing this setting, didn’t the setup procedure offer you to test the audio output and hence those settings? Been a while since I set mine up but seem to recall that

You only use that setting if you’re using that digital output, there’s a similar setting for the optical SPDIF output, so yes it’s only relevant when you’re not using the WiiM’s DAC and passing that job to an external DAC.

Re missing this setting, didn’t the setup procedure offer you to test the audio output and hence those settings? Been a while since I set mine up but seem to recall that
Ta 🙏 I've been playing Qobuz mainly since I bought the WPP and the very highest resolution tunes have been showing up as 32 bit/192 Khz in the song info alongside track playing, so I don't *think* I've been missing out. I also think the WPP's DAC sounds pretty great, so I'm unsure about those folk recommending that I invest in a 'better' external DAC "to get the most out of my system" etc.

One thing I've been doing forever is, whenever I get a new piece of technology, whether smartphone, tablet, AVR, etc, is to find the Settings or Options sections and go over the settings and adjust to my needs.

To me, it's like any other tool; you need to know its capabilities to use it to its full potential.

Also, make sure you do the same to whatever streaming service you use. Many times, the default settings are not set for max quality.
Yep - that's the first thing I do with any streaming service. And I've been through the lot of them, I think! :)

Back