Can't get WiiM Pro to play hi Res radio.

Phosphoric

Brand new WiiM Pro set up. Works fine at the moment streaming music from Spotify and my extensive music collection of FLAC files on NAS.
However, I can't seem to get Hi Res radio stations on Tunein or vTuner to connect. The only stations that seem to be available are relatively low res, below 100kbps, can't even get BBC Radio 3!
I can connect and stream thousands by casting Open Radio from my phone or radio stations from Moode on a RPI via optical input. That's not the point really, I purchased the WiiM Pro to use as a one stop shop without fiddling about with other applications.

What I've tried so far, deleting and reinstalling the app, internet access by cable or wifi ( WiiM Pro is just 2 m from mesh router), different power supply. I've also tried typing in known good URLs in Open Network Stream ( always try the URL on my PC first to make sure it is valid).
I've spent a lot of time searching forums but can't find a solution.

My next step was to subscribe to Tidal for hi res audio but I don't want to spend out £20 on that only to find it won't stream in Hi Res. I can't get a free trial of Tidal as I had an account a couple of years ago connected to my email address.
Need some help please :)

Brand new WiiM Pro set up. Works fine at the moment streaming music from Spotify and my extensive music collection of FLAC files on NAS.
However, I can't seem to get Hi Res radio stations on Tunein or vTuner to connect. The only stations that seem to be available are relatively low res, below 100kbps, can't even get BBC Radio 3!
I can connect and stream thousands by casting Open Radio from my phone or radio stations from Moode on a RPI via optical input. That's not the point really, I purchased the WiiM Pro to use as a one stop shop without fiddling about with other applications.

What I've tried so far, deleting and reinstalling the app, internet access by cable or wifi ( WiiM Pro is just 2 m from mesh router), different power supply. I've also tried typing in known good URLs in Open Network Stream ( always try the URL on my PC first to make sure it is valid).
I've spent a lot of time searching forums but can't find a solution.

My next step was to subscribe to Tidal for hi res audio but I don't want to spend out £20 on that only to find it won't stream in Hi Res. I can't get a free trial of Tidal as I had an account a couple of years ago connected to my email address.
Need some help please :)
Get another email address ;)
Yes, tidal will stream high sample rates. Price to drop soon too.
Sorry, I know next to nothing about radio streams, but I'm sure others will chime in.

Last edited:
Also, have you saved any custom hi res URLs in your Tunein account and linked that to your WiiM device and tried to play that way too? Been a while since I tried tbh but that might work too.

I find Open Network Stream works well for the few I use.

Oh pooh! No idea why I posted as WiiM Amp, getting mixed up with the WiiM app perhaps. Perhaps an admin could move this to the correct thread please?
@Brantome
Thank you for your links, I have already seen them in my previous searches. As for BBC Radio, I can stream Radio 3 standard and high res with no problem from Open Radio and also Moode so not sure why I can't directly from WiiM's app using TuneIn or vTuner. Perhaps WiiM could integrate Open Radio in to the app ;)
The list of high res streams in the second link is where I found that I can't stream flac files after laboriously typing the URL in to Open Network Stream. I only got one URL to work from that list and that was only 320 kbps so not much point.
I was particularly interested in MotherEarth streams and have found many different URLs. Sadly none of them work for me.

Oh pooh! No idea why posted as WiiM Amp, getting mixed up with the WiiM app perhaps. Perhaps an admin could move this to the correct thread please?
@Brantome

No problem, will do but I’m not overly pedantic about where posts land particularly part way thru a thread if that’s where the conversation naturally has gone :)

Thank you for your links, I have already seen them in my previous searches. As for BBC Radio, I can stream Radio 3 standard and high res with no problem from Open Radio and also Moode so not sure why I can't directly from WiiM's app using TuneIn or vTuner. Perhaps WiiM could integrate Open Radio in to the app ;)
One of the issues with BBC radio is that it’s geofenced and the hi res streams are only meant to be available in the UK, and there’s currently no way in the WiiM Home app to determine which region you’re in, so it’s probably using the lower res international streams. Also a few years back, the BBC removed its radio stations from Tunein (at least in the UK if not worldwide) in their push to get listeners to use BBC Sounds so they could gather user stats that Tunein couldn’t or wouldn’t provide. Might be the same case with vTuner re the hi res streams.

I use the excellent BBC Sounds and Radio Paradise plugins on LMS to play to my WiiM devices and tend only to use the WiiM Home app to configure the devices.

Maybe raise a feature request for Open Radio either her in the forum or thru the settings/feedback section in the WiiM Home app.

The list of high res streams in the second link is where I found that I can't stream flac files after laboriously typing the URL in to Open Network Stream. I only got one URL to work from that list and that was only 320 kbps so not much point.
I was particularly interested in MotherEarth streams and have found many different URLs. Sadly none of them work for me.

Have you done the audio test in the Audio settings page in the WiiM Home app and set the output resolution to the max your connected DAC/amp supports? The attached image shows me playing motherearth Klassik on my Pro using the url http://server9.streamserver24.com:18910/motherearth.klassik at 24/192

Attachments

• IMG_8659.jpeg
    IMG_8659.jpeg
    22.3 KB · Views: 3
No problem, will do but I’m not overly pedantic about where posts land particularly part way thru a thread if that’s where the conversation naturally has gone :)

One of the issues with BBC radio is that it’s geofenced and the hi res streams are only meant to be available in the UK, and there’s currently no way in the WiiM Home app to determine which region you’re in, so it’s probably using the lower res international streams. Also a few years back, the BBC removed its radio stations from Tunein (at least in the UK if not worldwide) in their push to get listeners to use BBC Sounds so they could gather user stats that Tunein couldn’t or wouldn’t provide. Might be the same case with vTuner re the hi res streams.

I use the excellent BBC Sounds and Radio Paradise plugins on LMS to play to my WiiM devices and tend only to use the WiiM Home app to configure the devices.

Maybe raise a feature request for Open Radio either her in the forum or thru the settings/feedback section in the WiiM Home app.

Have you done the audio test in the Audio settings page in the WiiM Home app and set the output resolution to the max your connected DAC/amp supports? The attached image shows me playing motherearth Klassik on my Pro using the url http://server9.streamserver24.com:18910/motherearth.klassik at 24/192
Thanks Bratome, last things first, I put that link in to Open Network Stream and it worked! at 24/192 so I must have my settings correct.
The odd thing with TuneIn and vTuner if I try to select BBC Radio 3 it won't play at all, let alone low res. My app just tries to connect all the time and fails, then locks up. I can't try another link. I have to turn my phone on and off the clear it. (tried reboot, that doesn't work)
I think maybe that I am expecting too much of WiiM Home app as, like you, I can achieve what I want by other means outside of the app but I was expecting a "one stop shop" with WiiM Home.
I shall have to review my expectations and perhaps look at another method of streaming high res music. :(

The odd thing with TuneIn and vTuner if I try to select BBC Radio 3 it won't play at all, let alone low res.
I don't know about Tunein but Vtuner are very poor at updating their URLs for dead stream links.
Vtuner have not properly updated their service to point to the BBC HLS streams

jazz

Open a browser on your phone/tablet and copy the link to your clipboard and then just paste it into the network stream input box of the Wiim app
Whohoo! Thanks jfbuk again. Haven't tried your copy/paste method yet but I've found that twice now, typing the URL in manually, auto correct separated mother and earth which I hadn't noticed.
Your comments on vTuner might explain my difficulties and also they are not WiiM's fault.
Thank you to the WiiM community today. :):):)

I don't know about Tunein but Vtuner are very poor at updating their URLs for dead stream links.
Vtuner have not properly updated their service to point to the BBC HLS streams

Those are very old links that have been updated at least once I’d say. The link I provided in comment #4 are the latest I believe.

Those are very old links that have been updated at least once I’d say. The link I provided in comment #4 are the latest I believe.
Thanks Brantone, even the latest in your link no longer work, Open Radio can't find BBC Radio 3 either. I'll settle with my DAB tuner (with a good external aerial) or cast from BBC Sounds app on my phone.
Goodness knows why BBC are making it so difficult but they'll eventually lose market share.....if that matters!

Thanks Brantone, even the latest in your link no longer work, Open Radio can't find BBC Radio 3 either. I'll settle with my DAB tuner (with a good external aerial) or cast from BBC Sounds app on my phone.
Goodness knows why BBC are making it so difficult but they'll eventually lose market share.....if that matters!
Couple of reasons I guess - they want more people to use BBC Sounds so they get audience statistics to “improve the service” and see what people are (or aren’t) listening to, and secondly, their charter and licensing probably prevents them from giving access to all content and hi res steams outwith the Uk.

Back