Actual Streaming Interface via HDMI

b00ky

This is honestly more like a future product request, but something I would love to see is a full featured interface that is output via hdmi. I love the Pro Plus and I love the app. However, I’d really love to be able to have the option to view and control the WiiM from a full interface on the TV/projector. Let me see the album art, lyrics, playlists, settings and maybe even videos on the big screen.

Don’t eliminate the app, but just expand it to the big screen.

Maybe there is an alternative to this for now? I think I could cast a screen while using different audio on my receiver, but is not as ideal since my phone is not a dedicated device for WiiM.

Keep up the great work and be sure to send me a link to this future product so I can give you my money 😁😍😎👍

Last edited:
Agreed, Steve. I’m glad there is a clever workaround for now, but I’m envisioning this more like the Apple TV of Streamer/DAC interfaces. The mobile app on steroids.

I’m sure there are many listeners who prefer just audio with no distractions. That’s not me. I enjoy having something up. Info about the track, artist, album, queue, bitrate info, etc.

Plus, most of us are probably the primary users. Most of our family members probably never play music through the WiiM because they don’t use the app. If there was a on screen interface it would be much more approachable.

Agreed, Steve. I’m glad there is a clever workaround for now, but I’m envisioning this more like the Apple TV of Streamer/DAC interfaces. The mobile app on steroids.

I’m sure there are many listeners who prefer just audio with no distractions. That’s not me. I enjoy having something up. Info about the track, artist, album, queue, bitrate info, etc.

Plus, most of us are probably the primary users. Most of our family members probably never play music through the WiiM because they don’t use the app. If there was a on screen interface it would be much more approachable.

For as little as 35$ (or less if you wait for the next sale) you can get an Echo Dot. Then everyone in your family who can speak can easily use the WiiM to listen to music. No screens needed.

We have no shortage of smart speakers so that is covered and a good point. Thanks for reminding me. I sort of forgot that this can be used this way since I specifically plan to use it with my main system and don't mind using the app.

The WiiM Pro Plus came with a remote so that is nice.

My main desire for the interface is for information and just enjoyment. I like how the Tidal App for Apple TV shows info and playlists, but it and my receiver alone don't support the audio quality the WiiM Pro Plus does. Plus the Apple TV Tidal App isn't great and lacks some playlist features I would like. I just want something like that. Not a "need" just something I think would make the experience more enjoyable and immersive.

There are dozens of cheap Android set top boxes with HDMI output that run the latest version of Android, and support the Play Store. When WiiM finally launches a landscape version of their app, it should run on one of these, though they’re usually a bit awkward to run with a remote control.

While I am looking forward to the landscape mode for tablets, so I can use an old tablet for a 'now playing' type thing, it's not a make or break issue. But for the long term, I personally think something like Roon uses for a 'Display' mode would be awesome, easy to turn on or off. Works on a tablet, PC screen or TV. It's not interactive but does show current playing content. Just my two cents. 😎

For as little as 35$ (or less if you wait for the next sale) you can get an Echo Dot. Then everyone in your family who can speak can easily use the WiiM to listen to music. No screens needed.

Not a route I’d ever use.

I had an echo ‘puck’ (still have it somewhere), effectively an echo speaker without the speaker.

If you say ‘Alexa , play U2 New Years Day’ it’s pot luck if you get the album version, single version, 12” version, US remix, or live version. If you want to specify which version, you need to know exactly what it’s called - is it the single version, single edit, 7” version, 7” edit, short version…?

Absolute non-starter. I gave up after a few weeks.

Not a route I’d ever use.

I had an echo ‘puck’ (still have it somewhere), effectively an echo speaker without the speaker.

If you say ‘Alexa , play U2 New Years Day’ it’s pot luck if you get the album version, single version, 12” version, US remix, or live version. If you want to specify which version, you need to know exactly what it’s called - is it the single version, single edit, 7” version, 7” edit, short version…?

Absolute non-starter. I gave up after a few weeks.
How else would you expect Alexa to know which version you wanted unless you specified it? And I suspect it probably delivers the one that’s most commonly picked by other users, either by specifying the version or manually choosing it in the music app. It’s also said that if you add a track to your library, it will choose that in preference to the other versions.

A remote for a menu that you cannot see. I never understood that. Looking at my tablet while using the remote or just use the tablet to make changes. An HDMI should be a no brainer. Especially with the AMP coming out.

How else would you expect Alexa to know which version you wanted unless you specified it? And I suspect it probably delivers the one that’s most commonly picked by other users, either by specifying the version or manually choosing it in the music app. It’s also said that if you add a track to your library, it will choose that in preference to the other versions.

The pr on been is the other way around.

It’s not when you’re looking for a specific different version. It’s when you want the normal/vanilla version, and you get an exotic one.

So you ask it to play Stairway to Heaven by Led Zep and you get a live version, as an example.

And, as I say, if you do want a different version, you have to remember the exact name (7”, single, short, edit, etc.).

And here’s the thing - you don’t know if it’s got the right one until after it’s started playing.

The pr on been is the other way around.

It’s not when you’re looking for a specific different version. It’s when you want the normal/vanilla version, and you get an exotic one.

So you ask it to play Stairway to Heaven by Led Zep and you get a live version, as an example.

And, as I say, if you do want a different version, you have to remember the exact name (7”, single, short, edit, etc.).

And here’s the thing - you don’t know if it’s got the right one until after it’s started playing.

Alexa is primarily good at playing My Playlists. The right person in the right place.
You don't have to let her (or him) do what she's not good at. 🙂

I use routines to play any playlist just by specifying a number. For example, just say "Alexa, number 3"

Alexa is primarily good at playing My Playlists. The right person in the right place.
You don't have to let her (or him) do what she's not good at. 🙂

I use routines to play any playlist just by specifying a number. For example, just say "Alexa, number 3"

Clearly, playlists are different. There may be a dozen different versions of a song, but you only create one playlist with that name.

After all this years I still ask myself where the inconvenience is to grab a phone or a tablet and avoid all this little no-problems?
But I fear that train left and I was not onboard. It scares me already enough that my cars talk to me....😉

After all this years I still ask myself where the inconvenience is to grab a phone or a tablet and avoid all this little no-problems?
But I fear that train left and I was not onboard. It scares me already enough that my cars talk to me....😉

Yes, that’s obviously still an option.

But, coming round full circle, it’d be nice to have album art, now playing, etc, up on a big screen (the tv).

Yes, that’s obviously still an option.

But, coming round full circle, it’d be nice to have album art, now playing, etc, up on a big screen (the tv).
Agreed, for me as long-time-Rooner this on screen feature is available already for a good while. But after an enthusiastic first period it lost the fascination quite quickly.
To be honest, in our living room the screen on the Atom is enough and my wife as living room CEO knows what she listens. We both are never playlist but solely album listeners. Thats likely one of a few more reasons I often forget other wishes 😉.
In my music cave isn't a TV and the display on the streamer is tiny. But indeed the now-playing option would be more important for me than the smart things.
But sure you will find a solution!

Back