Allow users to schedule & customize 12V trigger behavior

Voltron

I’m a user with a vintage class A amp that takes a bit of time to turn on and be ready to playback a signal. To keep my energy bill in check I use your trigger feature however it's current implementation is limiting and causing issues for users in the house. To work around the “boot time” you need to briefly start a track and then stop it, wait for the trigger to kick the amp on and then waiting 5 seconds before restarting a track. Not only does this cause frustration it also seems to be causing weird playback issues where the track needs to be restarted multiple times in some cases when using Spotify connect. Additionally, the duration after a track has finished to the trigger turning off the amp is far too short. This exacerbates the issue as it forces you to do the hack above more frequently.

I’d like to be able to schedule my amp to be on during certain hours of the day. For example I could simply have my amp turn on at 10 AM then off at 10 PM. Alternatively (or in addition) I’d like to extend the auto shutoff with a custom set time on a scale of minutes and hours.

Perhaps one implementation is easier than the other, but as of right now I'm forced to disable the feature and just leave my amp on 24/7.

Have you thought of using a smart plug or even a basic mechanical timer plug for your amp?
Yep, however I'd really prefer to leverage the trigger input to turn it on and off rather than just "pulling the plug" on it so to speak. It's a fairly pricey / hard to find parts for vintage amp. It's doubtful that it was designed with the correct protections to endure being hard power cycled like it would be via a smart plug. I could do a smart plug to a 12V psu but finding the time and dealing with the blight of more things/wires has kept me from pursuing that.

edit: I see you're a Linn guy, so for what it's worth the amp is a Linn Klout.

I’m a user with a vintage class A amp that takes a bit of time to turn on and be ready to playback a signal. To keep my energy bill in check I use your trigger feature however it's current implementation is limiting and causing issues for users in the house. To work around the “boot time” you need to briefly start a track and then stop it, wait for the trigger to kick the amp on and then waiting 5 seconds before restarting a track. Not only does this cause frustration it also seems to be causing weird playback issues where the track needs to be restarted multiple times in some cases when using Spotify connect. Additionally, the duration after a track has finished to the trigger turning off the amp is far too short. This exacerbates the issue as it forces you to do the hack above more frequently.

I’d like to be able to schedule my amp to be on during certain hours of the day. For example I could simply have my amp turn on at 10 AM then off at 10 PM. Alternatively (or in addition) I’d like to extend the auto shutoff with a custom set time on a scale of minutes and hours.

Perhaps one implementation is easier than the other, but as of right now I'm forced to disable the feature and just leave my amp on 24/7.
"SwitchBot Smart Switch Button Pusher"

It is a device that presses the button at the specified time.

*I don't know if this will help you, so it's just information sharing. 🙂

1000003439.jpg

Agreed.

Maybe this issue could be resolved if the trigger responded to Standby mode status instead of playback status. The former makes much more sense to me, and it's how my A/V preamp works. When I want to use it, I turn it on, and when I'm done, I turn it off. The power amp responds to that.

I posted a feature request here: https://forum.wiimhome.com/threads/...standby-mode-status-instead-of-playback.2211/

Of course, the pair of Sonos One speakers in my kitchen behave differently - they're always on. I don't know if they have a standby mode or not, but if they do, then the app automatically delays playback until they awaken.

But in the living room, where the WiiM Pro Plus and power amp are, I'd prefer the above trigger option.

Last edited:
Yes if the trigger worked with sleep that woild be great. Also a delay to allow the amps etc to powerup.

Back