Amazon HD versus Tidal Connect

Pcryan5

Major Contributor
I am looking at Amazon to replace Tidal. Is it accurate that Amazon does not support HD streaming via WiiM Mini unless it is to a Amazon Studio device? (I use Devialet)

thanks!
P

Must be. If I remember later on, I’ll try it on an older android phone I have (Honor 10) and my fire hd tablets. I’m currently using a Motorola Edge 30 Fusion which is only weeks old.
Also OK on my 4yr old Honor 10 which is based on Android 10, although I did briefly get the spinning wheel. My Motorola is based on Android 12.
also tried on my Fire HD10 and HD8 tablets and they’re fine too…

In the WiiM app, yes, but you can still search for them in the WiiM app Amazon music page, or access them from the Amazon Music app itself and cast.
I can't cast in Poland without having british address. What do You mean "wiim app Amazon music page"?

I can't cast in Poland without having british address. What do You mean "wiim app Amazon music page"?
Ah yeah, there is that drawback in regions where AlexaCast isn’t supported. Re the Amazon music page in the WiiM app, I’m referring to the find icon under browse/amazon music in the Wiim app.

I am looking at Amazon to replace Tidal. Is it accurate that Amazon does not support HD streaming via WiiM Mini unless it is to a Amazon Studio device? (I use Devialet)

thanks!
P
I tested Tidal, Apple against my existing subscription to Amazon.

It's fair to say each app has a learning curve.

That said, the most recent enhancements to Amazon and the greater ease with which I use it to make playlists;

AMAZON MUSIC HD

Wins.

If you happen to have music tastes that includes classical Amazon +++.

Jazz +++

Catalog of classic rock, pop Amazon+++

ATMOS (yes I know WiiM doesn't ATMOS yet) Amazon +++

(Hip-hop I dunno a dun care)

Amazon has a music quality icon for every track now and you can click it to see bit rate word length.

Says Ultra HD? is it 24/96? 24/48? Etc. If you care you know.

Also, even if you aren't playing ATMOS back on an ATMOS system, the way it has created a packet for each instrument and note CAN be heard. Subtle. There. It's spatial.

As the Wiim team have confirmed in a thread here somewhere, there is no difference between using Amazon within the Wiim app or casting from the Amazon app - both will play files at up to 192, as long as you've chosen UHD in the Alexa settings and have not restricted your Wiim's output resolution.
I have the UHD set to on in the alexa device settings and when i try to play thru the amazon app it shows it is casting to the mini and shows up to 192 on my dac but it plays a few seconds then the sound cuts out. Any suggestions

I have the UHD set to on in the alexa device settings and when i try to play thru the amazon app it shows it is casting to the mini and shows up to 192 on my dac but it plays a few seconds then the sound cuts out. Any suggestions
Does the same happen if you cast, for example, to an amazon echo device? If not (or if you can't try that), submit a ticket thru the feedback section so that WiiM can inspect your log file for clues as to why

Does the same happen if you cast, for example, to an amazon echo device? If not (or if you can't try that), submit a ticket thru the feedback section so that WiiM can inspect your log file for clues as to why
No. I just cast amazon to my echo show device and it plays fine. It just cuts out when i play thru the mini. Thank you for the response.

Back