Amazon Music HD vs. Apple Music (ALAC/Airplay 2) vs Tidal (Master) vs Spotify

Jeffcs

I understand if my Wiim mini is connected via Aux out I’m limited to 16/44.1, so then which streaming service (i.e. Amazon Music HD, Apple Music (ALAC/Airplay 2), Tidal (Master), and Spotify) will provide the highest stream quality to the Wiim mini? Since Apple is limited to Airplay 2 am I correct that Amazon Music HD and Tidal (master) will provide the highest quality, followed by Apple then Spotify?

"I understand if my Wiim mini is connected via Aux out I’m limited to 16/44.1"
No... aux out is analog.
The dac in the wiim will take whatever signal it's provided, up to 24/192, and convert it to analog.
How well it does this compared to an external dac is up for debate.

As for your streaming quality ordering, seems about right to me, if equating higher quality solely with higher sampling frequency.
Note that 24/96 is the max you'll get from Tidal. i.e. the wiim can do the first unfold and then convert that to analog.

All those services have free trials, right?
Give each a whirl, see which you like most.
User experience (i.e. the app) can play a big part in how much you enjoy using / listening to them.

I subscribe to Apple Music, Tidal, and Amazon, and occasionally stream Spotify (free). For whatever reason, Apple Music via Airplay to the WiiM mini sounds consistently better to my ears which is surprising given the limitations of Airplay 2.

Last edited:
Then stick with Apple (toffee apple?) and don't worry about 'missing out' on higher sample rates.
You should be enjoying it, not chasing high numbers / marketing.

I subscribe to Amazon Music. I like it. Anything I want to listen to is there. It is supported on my Garmin fitness watch. My budget only supports one subscription service. I am satisfied.

I subscribe to Amazon Music. I like it. Anything I want to listen to is there. It is supported on my Garmin fitness watch. My budget only supports one subscription service. I am satisfied.
I know it’s overboard to have multiple streaming subscriptions but our family is little fanatical about music. :). I mainly use Apple Music for the convenience but since picking up the WiiM Mini I’d love to know which streaming platform is best optimized for hi res streaming since my receiver doesn’t have optical inputs.

If
I know it’s overboard to have multiple streaming subscriptions but our family is little fanatical about music. :). I mainly use Apple Music for the convenience but since picking up the WiiM Mini I’d love to know which streaming platform is best optimized for hi res streaming since my receiver doesn’t have optical inputs.
If you're solely concerned with providing the highest initial sample rate to the wiim dac to decode, then, from your list, Amazon is the only one that can provide up to 192.
But as you've already proved to yourself, you generally prefer the sound of Apple, so is it a moot point?

You may find that using the mini's optical out to an external dac has a greater impact on your enjoyment than choosing between streaming services (although spotify free is pretty poor!).

If

If you're solely concerned with providing the highest initial sample rate to the wiim dac to decode, then, from your list, Amazon is the only one that can provide up to 192.
But as you've already proved to yourself, you generally prefer the sound of Apple, so is it a moot point?

You may find that using the mini's optical out to an external dac has a greater impact on your enjoyment than choosing between streaming services (although spotify free is pretty poor!).
Agree. I’ve been thinking about picking up a Schiit Modi+.

Back