Amp Wi-Fi issues Bluetooth

Daniel_SIMS

My Wiim Amp seems to always tell me it has a weak connection in the app, I have also noticed that when I Airplay my phone to it, it does not stay connected. No other device in my house has this issue. In addition to this, I have also noticed that when I use Bluetooth, the right channel is the only one that works, It only does this over Bluetooth both channels work on every other source. ALso, when it is on, even low volume, it gets warm. I would suspect it to get warm if it was loud, but I can have the volume bearley even up and it gets warm, is this normal?

Which firmware version? How old is the amp?
I bought it from Amazon in January. the amp is in V 5.0.609856. When I put it on the Bluetooth input and I switch it to Mono audio then the left channel works, but when I switch it to left channel there is nothing, and on stereo it only comes out of the right channel. Also it might be worth noting that when I move the balance all the way to the left channel the subwoofer doesn't even work.

I bought it from Amazon in January. the amp is in V 5.0.609856. When I put it on the Bluetooth input and I switch it to Mono audio then the left channel works, but when I switch it to left channel there is nothing, and on stereo it only comes out of the right channel. Also it might be worth noting that when I move the balance all the way to the left channel the subwoofer doesn't even work.
Three problems, could be related or not.

1. There was a bug in early firmware versions where the amp would get warm in "standby" ( ecause standby did not really work). This has been resolved, long before the current FW 5.0.609856. If you unit still shows this behaviour, it could be faulty.

2. Only one channel over Bluetooth. This one's really odd and cannot be explained with a weak radio connection alone.

3. Weak WiFi connection, as shown by the app. My amp shows this from time to time (without anything being changed), but rarely and only for a couple of seconds. If it is permanent and the distance to your WiFi access point or router isn't too long, then this might indicate a defect, indeed. Does relocating the amp by a few inches change anything? If not, then there might be a defect, indeed.

Giving feedback through the app looks like your best bet.

If you're experiencing Wi-Fi issues with your Amp, try troubleshooting by ensuring it's placed in an optimal location for Wi-Fi signal strength, away from interference sources. Additionally, check for firmware updates for your Amp and your Wi-Fi router. If Bluetooth connectivity is also affected, ensure there are no nearby electronic devices causing interference and try resetting the Amp's Bluetooth settings.
...and also try to used 5Ghz wifi rather than 2.4 which Bluetooth and about everything else on the planet uses.

...and also try to used 5Ghz wifi rather than 2.4 which Bluetooth and about everything else on the planet uses.
No...2.4 Ghz has better radio frequency penetration than the shorter wavelength of 5 GHz. Most WiFi systems that support mixed 5 GHz and 2.4 GHz will use 5 GHz for better radio link capacity but will fail over to 2.4 GHz when the 5 GHz link becomes unstable or unworkable -- usually at the edge of range for 2.4 GHz.

No...2.4 Ghz has better radio frequency penetration than the shorter wavelength of 5 GHz. Most WiFi systems that support mixed 5 GHz and 2.4 GHz will use 5 GHz for better radio link capacity but will fail over to 2.4 GHz when the 5 GHz link becomes unstable or unworkable -- usually at the edge of range for 2.4 GHz.
Yes...in a mesh network (important assumption) penetration is less of an issue and 5GHz avoids interference with other devices. Daniel is using bluetooth (not a good idea on WiiM really as they have no decent codecs) and that could be an interference potential. So, a "no" for older WiFi networks and a "yes" for mesh I would say.

Back