Android TV and Google TV app to display "now playing" album art, and maybe album info, lyrics

MrOtto

Can we have an Android TV and Google TV app to display now playing information? I have sideloaded Wiim Home apk to Google TV but it will not display the app correctly

I see this as the best option to connect a display to the Wiim streamers to have "now playing" and album art.

I can get and use an Android 10" tablet running Wiim Home, but it will look better on a bigger screen, and also I already have a TV.

Again a very personal opinion and experience regarding a whats playing display on tv.
Of course I tried the possibility Roon gives for that and for a few days it was kind of new and interesting. But after a few days it started to bore and disturbs me. Too big!

Again a very personal opinion and experience regarding a whats playing display on tv.
Of course I tried the possibility Roon gives for that and for a few days it was kind of new and interesting. But after a few days it started to bore and disturbs me. Too big!
I can do it with LMS fairly easily but like you I find there isn’t much point to doing so

If one is listening often to radio stations or to playlists made by others with lots of unknown music it has another ranking to see what is playing. It is only the sheer size of a full-size tv which I do not like for this special situation.
When in my cave I listen to albums, so normally I know the artist.
In living room tbh my wife is commander-in-chief for music choice. Thanks heaven we know (and may be after more than 50 years married have synchronized) the preferences from each other. And here the small display on the all-in-one box is fine.

Can we have an Android TV and Google TV app to display now playing information? I have sideloaded Wiim Home apk to Google TV but it will not display the app correctly

I see this as the best option to connect a display to the Wiim streamers to have "now playing" and album art.

I can get and use an Android 10" tablet running Wiim Home, but it will look better on a bigger screen, and also I already have a TV.
It could be probably implemented in a Roon-like way with chromecast support, ie. WiiM casts a "fake" stream to chromecast enabled device in parallel. Such feature could be used also with devices like Nest Hub, not only Android TV.

Last edited:
Android TV and Google TV runs Android, porting the current Wiim Home Android app to work on Android TV and Google TV devices should not be difficult?

Android TV and Google TV runs Android, porting the current Wiim Home Android app to work on Android TV and Google TV devices should not be difficult?
The current Android WiiM Home App has a portrait phone layout (landscape is on the roadmap) but might work - have you tried sideloading it? However, the phone app is touch controlled, while tv apps tend to be cursor controlled so you might have issues navigating it. “Should not be difficult” is probably over simplifying matters tbh

The current Android WiiM Home App has a portrait phone layout (landscape is on the roadmap) but might work - have you tried sideloading it? However, the phone app is touch controlled, while tv apps tend to be cursor controlled so you might have issues navigating it. “Should not be difficult” is probably over simplifying matters tbh
I was going to say exactly that. The advantage of a Chromecast approach is that it already has no controls and is just a display.

As far as I know, there are many useful online TV viewing applications on the Android operating system, right everyone

Another request for Wiim Home for Android TV/Google TV, please...

I second a request of having WiiM Home App available for Android TV, unless you can just install it as a package from external source? Has anyone tried it?

I'm using Spotify on my Android TV ( can work also with other streaming services ) which is connected via hdmi on my Wiim amp so I can visualize lyrics / album art while listening which is working fine

but having Wiim home app on Android TV directly could be of course interesting

A few years ago I would have attempted the various Linux based approaches to display a Now Playing screen on a TV/monitor, but with advancing years and being spoilt by android install-and-go apps, I just can't get the oomph to tackle terminal battles again. 😕

I'm a bit surprised that there still isn't a Now Playing app for Fire TV (or a browser based way to view what's playing). 📺🤔

A few years ago I would have attempted the various Linux based approaches to display a Now Playing screen on a TV/monitor, but with advancing years and being spoilt by android install-and-go apps, I just can't get the oomph to tackle terminal battles again. 😕

I'm a bit surprised that there still isn't a Now Playing app for Fire TV (or a browser based way to view what's playing). 📺🤔
There is something for the Chrome browser (not Fire TV unfortunately) - see here and other @cc_rider projects

There is something for the Chrome browser (not Fire TV unfortunately) - see here and other @cc_rider projects

Thanks. But android Chrome doesn't do extensions 😭

I created an Android desktop widget-thing with Edge (uses LMS material) which works. (ipaddress:9000/material/now-playing)... If only wiim had a Web interface like LMS 😎

Maybe using LMS is the way to go...

Back