B&W 603S2 or KEF IQ70 for WiiM Amp?

fabgent

Hey all

It's second post here , i'll probably buy the WiiM Amp this week but i would like to know before this :does somebody experienced the B&W603S2 or KEFIQ70?

Thank you in advance
FabGent

I have the b&w 601 s3...I also added a subwoofer to the system.
Very pleased with the amp in combination with the speakers..
But ok the 601 are a different speaker then the 603.

Last edited:
I am or was a B&W fan of the made in England era. I never sampled the 603S2. But did test out the 683 or whatever B&W named them many many years ago. I wasn't impressed. Didn't have the acoustic nuances that I used to enjoy with the older B&Ws. Felt like another big box speakers you know Paradigms or Polk. The made in England stuff had alot of unique signature that I appreciated. I ended up with KEF IQ90. The KEF is quite transparent sounding. It loves sustained high wattage and will belt out fine even without subwoofers. Pairing to a warmer receiver/amp balances our the KEF clinical characteristics to deliver a full body stereo music.

I also have a pair of Tannoy DC6Ti whatever it's called. It's warmer sounding. Handsome speakers. Currently mated to a Marantz receiver. I like it too.

I use Wiim Pro so I cannot comment on the Wiim Amp pairing at this time. Suggest you try 'em out if you can.

I have the B&W 603S2 and I can say that they are absolutely fantastic. I've never heard the KEFIQ70.
I would like to add one thing. Given the quality and cost of the B&Ws, I would think, I would suggest combining them with a real HiFi amplifier, certainly not with an amplifier like the Wiim. ;)
B&W deserve a much better amplifier.
Remember the golden rule. Your system will sound like the weakest link in the chain. €2,000 speakers with a €369 amplifier? 🤔🤔🤔
Unfortunately they will sound for €360 ☹️
Of course this is only my personal opinion

I have the B&W 603S2 and I can say that they are absolutely fantastic. I've never heard the KEFIQ70.
I would like to add one thing. Given the quality and cost of the B&Ws, I would think, I would suggest combining them with a real HiFi amplifier, certainly not with an amplifier like the Wiim. ;)
B&W deserve a much better amplifier.
Remember the golden rule. Your system will sound like the weakest link in the chain. €2,000 speakers with a €369 amplifier? 🤔🤔🤔
Unfortunately they will sound for €360 ☹️
Of course this is only my personal opinion
Thank you Maurizio. That's what i tought first but after reading all the comments/review about the WiiM amp, i thought that this more an amp about 1500eur....So i try combine old and past but not sure it's a good idea

Your system will sound like the weakest link in the chain
A system sounds like the speakers. There are no other rules. If you like spending money on theoretical differences, go ahead, but you shouldn't scare other people into thinking they also need to spend way more.

I have a pair of Focal Chorus 826V, which are actually very similar to the B&W model mentioned here, and they sound excellent even on the tiny little Wiim Amp. I've never heard (or, in fact, even seen) Kef speakers, but if they sound good with a € 3700 or € 37000 amp, they'll sound just as good with a € 370 amp. If an amp makes your speakers sound bad, the amp is broken.

A system sounds like the speakers. There are no other rules. If you like spending money on theoretical differences, go ahead, but you shouldn't scare other people into thinking they also need to spend way more.

I have a pair of Focal Chorus 826V, which are actually very similar to the B&W model mentioned here, and they sound excellent even on the tiny little Wiim Amp. I've never heard (or, in fact, even seen) Kef speakers, but if they sound good with a € 3700 or € 37000 amp, they'll sound just as good with a € 370 amp. If an amp makes your speakers sound bad, the amp is broken.
That's only true of very good amps who are both transparents and immune to speaker impedance fluctuations across the frequency range. Yes in this case the speaker is all. However lots of amps, while not 'broken' per se don't actually have those characteristics.

That's why amp/speaker matching is a thing...

And it's my understanding that the lack of PFFB in the WiiM amp can make it more sensitive to this, though I don't have first hand experience in this specific case.

The iQ70 is pretty old now and it was rather inexpensive (by KEF standards) when new. Given the huge amount of progress they have made with their Uni-Q drivers you shouldn't expect miracles from them. A current Q550 is probably miles ahead.

The B&W 603 S2 is certainly a more modern design, but it's characteristics might not make it the best match for the WiiM Amp. Unfortunately, I didn't find an impedance plot, just a description:

... but the loading will not be a walk in the park for all amplifiers. Specifically, there's a broad sub-4ohm trench from 87Hz-700Hz and a tough minimum of 2.85ohm/124Hz coupled with relatively large swings in impedance phase from –72°/66Hz (9.1ohm) to +51°/1.26kHz (7.5ohm).
(Source: https://www.hifinews.com/content/bw-603-s2-anniversary-edition-loudspeaker-lab-report)

This is where load dependancy really might kick in, as mentioned by @bherren.

In addition, the B&W sound signature isn't to anybody's taste (while others really love it). The combination with the WiiM Amp is probably more on the analytical side, but this is just a guess

I think one has to also think about when using for instance bookshelf speakers you can add a sub.
Let's say for more depth,body in the music even if a speaker is more on the analytic ..,the depth , bass comes from the sub then( when needed).
I don't know if you have floor standing speakers if a sub is needed.
You can also adjust the sound with EQ,PEQ if you prefer this.

But it's something to think about ,also on price point ( costs of bookshelf speakers with sub or floor standing speakers).
If course it's also important to look out for second handed speakers..could make a big difference on price point.

Last edited:
What I also want to add to my previous post:
There also comes room correction..
This could even influence the complete sound of you're system.

I think one has to also think about when using for instance bookshelf speakers you can add a sub.
Let's say for more depth,body in the music even if a speaker is more on the analytic ..,the depth , bass comes from the sub then( when needed).
I don't know if you have floor standing speakers if a sub is needed.
You can also adjust the sound with EQ,PEQ if you prefer this.

But it's something to think about ,also on price point ( costs of bookshelf speakers with sub or floor standing speakers).
If course it's also important to look out for second handed speakers..could make a big difference on price point.
the whole idea is to mix old and new ( WiiM amp), but regarding to the remarks, i've doubt

the whole idea is to mix old and new ( WiiM amp), but regarding to the remarks, i've doubt
I think you could go with the B&W,s or the KEFs..
But I dont know what you're prefer..it's difficult to say..it's for everyone different.
Everyone has his personal taste you could say.

I can tell you the amp in combination with my b&w 601 s3 with a subwoofer sound superb.
Amazes me every time again how good the amp sounds ..or the complete system.

Question is also what do you want to spend on speakers?
If you buy them new on the internet i think you have the right to send them back within 2 weeks?
In this manner you could try them to see if you like the speakers?

If you buy them new on the internet i think you have the right to send them back within 2 weeks?
About the time to break them in :)

Remembers me at times when it was hip to place new speakers front to front, change polarity on one speaker and let a test tone cd play for 48 hrs ;-)

I just want to buy second hands speakers (old ones) and an amp. Perhaps is it beter to go classical with an old marantz en a wiim pro instead of a wiim amp...i'm not sure anymore

I just want to buy second hands speakers (old ones) and an amp. Perhaps is it beter to go classical with an old marantz en a wiim pro instead of a wiim amp...i'm not sure anymore
My experience is the sound from the amp is superb with my b&w speakers and the sub.
I dont know how big you're room is you will have to look at this too.
My room is quite big and the amp delivers enough power but that's for every situation different.
It's that loud if I would play the amp at full power is would have big problems with my neighbours 😀😀.

Such choices are maybe quite difficult I can understand how you are feeling but some choices has to been made at a certain time.
With the amp and second handed speakers you could have a very good hifi system voor little money.

If this really is your approach I would recommend indeed a classic. The Pro(Plus) for streaming an f.e. an iconic NAD 3020 as amplifier with some good 2nd hand speakers. A sexy combination in my eyes ;-)
Remark: Writing about the vintage 3020, not the new 3020v2 which is a totally different device.

Last edited:
I would invest time to find good speakers..they are very important in the first place.
If they match with the WIIM AMP or another Amplifier that difficult to say.
On the other hand, if you have very good speakers let say from a brand like DALI, B&W, Emotiva,KEF and so on could you go that wrong with it?
Could there be a horrible mismatch with an amplifier if you have EQ, PEQ to tweak the sound a little bit to youre liking..?
Is there something like the perfect match...maybe not . I think if you invest in good speakers and if you go with the WIIM amp or another amp with a WIIM mini,Pro or Pro plus it will fall all in its place you will make a good choice... im confident you will.

Back