BBC Sounds

Listening to BBC Radio 3 from BBC Radio under music services on the Wiim Pro I get the warning message about the service stopping, and it only streams at 128kbps rather than 320kbps.

It would be far from simple for WiiM to implement BBC Sounds and its related features, whereas the suggestion I made is easily achieved in the WiiM app especially if you then set it as a preset as I have done.

No! I am looking for the simplest solution and that would be for Wiim to support BBC Sounds. In the meantime, I can cast BBC Sounds to the Wiim Pro or just switch on the radio.
no
the easiest way is to have live in the presets of wiim home, via the direct url the radio stations that interest you..
will be the fastest and most efficient
(which I already do on a daily basis..
presets can recently save them
for internet radio access to known stream addresses, we can't make it "shorter")

Last edited:
I can access BBC Sounds on (1) Sony Google TV, (2) Freesat Recorder, (3) Panasonic Freeview Recorder, and (4) by casting from BBC Sounds on my mobile. In fact, apart from an ancient Panasonic Blu-Ray Player, the only internet-connected device below my TV on which I cannot access BBC Sounds is the Wiim Pro (a music streamer). It is patently obvious that BBC Sounds will become a standard feature on music streamers in the near future. I would buy a couple more Wiim Pros if BBC Sounds was available on it. Is the Wiim Pro meant to be a mainstream audio device or a toy for geeks (with LMS or who like manually entering URL)?

I guess the Bluesound Node can’t be a mainstream audio device either then going by that yardstick. Their interim solution is being given “direct access to the list of playable radio stations” by the BBC which I’d wager is a list of URLs similar to what I quoted for BBC Radio 3.

Perhaps in the interim, WiiM could update their current BBC radio section with that list (which is freely available, I have a copy on my iPad) and that would perhaps assuage your concerns.

@WiiM Team , @WiiM Support Are you aware of the warning message being broadcast on BBC Radio about their cessation of support for their Shoutcast streams mid-2023 as per this link ? Do you have access to the international HLS or DASH streams (such as the BBC Radio 3 link I posted above) which will still be supported going forward?

Also, given that the higher bitrate streams are only available in the UK, could you introduce some localisation in the WiiM app BBC Radio list so that UK WiiM users can benefit from the higher bitrates? See this GitHub link for info on the UK and international URLs.

Last edited:
I am not aware of this fact the bbc and its internet flows etc.
on the other hand, the radios pointed out by wiim in "bbc radio" are all really poor quality.. contrary to the strong reputation of the bbc in its audio approaches...
normal?

I am not aware of this fact the bbc and its internet flows etc.
on the other hand, the radios pointed out by wiim in "bbc radio" are all really poor quality.. contrary to the strong reputation of the bbc in its audio approaches...
normal?
Yes, normal. The bbc hi res streams are uk only afaik

Last edited:
What is LMS and how do you set it up
Logitech Media Server (see https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Logitech_Media_Server)
I have mine set up on an old Raspberry Pi I had using piCorePlayer, but you can also install it on Linux, Microsoft Windows, Apple Macintosh, and BSD platforms. It did take a bit of trial and error on my part to setup as it had been a while since I had used the Pi, but I think it's now settled down. I use its UPNPbridge plugin to make the WiiM Pro visible as a player and it runs fairly well. I followed the instructions here.

Thank you for the detailed information and pointers. I'll give it a try.

Logitech Media Server (see https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Logitech_Media_Server)
I have mine set up on an old Raspberry Pi I had using piCorePlayer, but you can also install it on Linux, Microsoft Windows, Apple Macintosh, and BSD platforms. It did take a bit of trial and error on my part to setup as it had been a while since I had used the Pi, but I think it's now settled down. I use its UPNPbridge plugin to make the WiiM Pro visible as a player and it runs fairly well. I followed the instructions here.

Back