Bitperfect vs 99% volume?

Lanzar

Hi!

I'm using the Wiim mini connected with toslink to an external DAC. The sound (spotify, tidal) sounds brighter and harsh compared to a CD-player connected to the same DAC. The volume is also higher than the CD-player when using fixed volume. Setting the volume limiter in the wiim app to 99% semms to soften the sound but also makes it less detailed. So i'm a little bit confused here, is the bitperfect sound at 100% clipping due to the higher output level than my CD and therefore making the sound harsh, or is the volume limiter degrading the sound that much when it's not bitperfect anymore? There is a very noticeable difference switching between 99-100% volume limiter so something is definately going on. I can't figure out the better choice is here, 99% sounds more like the CD-player but then again 100% is bitperfect and therefore "how it is supposed to sound", but after all does not sound right to my ears.

Back to my earlier question - have you tried casting directly to the Echo Studio and not via the WiiM?
Unfortunately I cannot test this. On trying to link my Alexa account to Spotify I get the message: not available due to geo-restrictions. Something warped goes on with Alexa accounts. My original account is UK but the Echo Studio under the same account is under another country and remains ...invisible

Unfortunately I cannot test this. On trying to link my Alexa account to Spotify I get the message: not available due to geo-restrictions. Something warped goes on with Alexa accounts. My original account is UK but the Echo Studio under the same account is under another country and remains ...invisible
Yeah, sounds like you have a clash of regions in the account. If you don’t have any subscriptions - music, kindle etc - you could try changing your country/region under your account content preferences to match your amazon and Spotify accounts, but I’m aware that may cause issues over which Alexa server you then attach to and which skills you may need access to.

Just verified via the Spotify forums: Normalisation only works when playing on the local device, not when casting via a network.
That's what I said and that's why you can only toggle the normalization switch while not connected via Spotify Connect.

Possibly really a DAC problem. Personally I've never had problems with intersample peaks with any DAC though.

That's what I said and that's why you can only toggle the normalization switch while not connected via Spotify Connect.

Possibly really a DAC problem. Personally I've never had problems with intersample peaks with any DAC though.
Well, more mysteries: I used an offer for free Spotify Premium for a period. Guess: same setup, volume normalisation to ON, WiiM to full digital volume on optical and no crackle at all. Maybe crackles are ...reserved for those who don't pay? Puzzling.

Well, more mysteries: I used an offer for free Spotify Premium for a period. Guess: same setup, volume normalisation to ON, WiiM to full digital volume on optical and no crackle at all. Maybe crackles are ...reserved for those who don't pay? Puzzling.
Different encoding? Premium is AAC256 or Vorbis320. Free is AAC128 or Vorbis160.

Different encoding? Premium is AAC256 or Vorbis320. Free is AAC128 or Vorbis160.
Possibly yes. Some research I made showed that lower resolution to reduce streaming bandwidth (e.g. AAC128) increases the chance of intersample peaks, which can translate into saturated analog sound (crackles). This also explains why lowering the digital volume slightly avoids this: the maximum level of the signal is reduced (i.e. some of the least significant bits of all 16-bit samples are set to zero) and this does not saturate the analog signal after conversion.

Back