Loudness mode (Equal-loudness contour, or Fletcher–Munson curves)

Discipulus

The human ear can't hear bass or Treble very well at lower volumes. Thus, modern devices with DSP implement Equal Loudness EQ curves to make the perceived volume be the same across a wider range of frequencies at multiple volume levels.

This would be super helpful to implement in the WIIM side before sending to an AMP, as most folks don't have a loudness switch on modern amplifiers, or can't afford super expensive setups with DSP to accomplish this.

Right now I've optimized my setup for listening at about 80db. Lower volume than that, and it sounds thin and lacks bass. But if I optimize for 60db, then when I crank it up it sounds boomy. This is where Loudness mode comes in, to solve this problem. This is also why most bluetooth or smart speakers (such as Amazon Echo speakers) seem to sound so good at low volume - they use loudness and DSP to achieve a higher level of bass at low volumes and progressively less bass at higher volume to keep the same perceived volume.

Upvote if you want to see this feature in Wiim!

Wiki for reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal-loudness_contour

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-01-23 102116.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-23 102116.png
    86.1 KB · Views: 15
<snip as long post>
It's never going to be perfect, but to be fair it never was, loudness was never meant to make hifi sound, it was designed to make those few moments of quiet listening sound better, a simple toggle ,similar to the old "loudness in/out" button on my 1972 sherwood, would do just fine for the sorts of people who are likley to buy the amp.

Audiophiles will buy the wiim pro plus and plug it into much nicer hardware.

Hence I feel this feature would be better on the wiim amp, as the wiim pro and pro plus should be about delivering the cleanest signal possible to the user's amp, where the user can adjust the tone as they please.

Last edited:
It's never going to be perfect, but to be fair it never was, loudness was never meant to make hifi sound, it was designed to make those few moments of quiet listening sound better, a simple toggle ,similar to the old "loudness in/out" button on my 1972 sherwood, would do just fine for the sorts of people who are likley to buy the amp.
That's OK with me. A matter of expectations, as I said.

Nicer hardware doesn't solve the issue with cats and neighbours, though. ;)

Dear WiiM-team,

in the current FW there is an EQ called "Loudness". Please note that the Fletcher-Munson contour (ISO226) is not a correct interpretation of the loudness correction. The correct compensation is the difference between the curves with about 80dB (as reference level 0) = volume of mixing in studios. The result is a kind of simple bathtub.

It's true that this isn't easy to implement effectively - but not impossible.
For example, the RME ADI-2 DAC FS has an excellent implementation of Loudness (Contur). But the fact is that someone had to work hard on it.
Therefore, it could be a paid addition in the applicate? I think the outlay would pay off.
Yes, the RME driving powered studio monitors works nicely with the WiiM Pro as a source. Bi-amped, DSP corrected studio monitors are the way to go, IMO.

IMG_1922.jpeg

Would love a dynamic EQ like what Audyssey has. Even Google Nest Audio speakers have dynamic EQ (4th graph down). https://thenextweb.com/news/review-...-good-speaker-and-i-have-the-data-to-prove-it

I have all 4 bands of parametric EQ in use based on REW creating a house curve that is flat but slightly higher in bass and rolls off in treble. It would be a pain to try to set different PEQs and load them manually every time for a different volume.

Would love a dynamic EQ like what Audyssey has. Even Google Nest Audio speakers have dynamic EQ (4th graph down). https://thenextweb.com/news/review-...-good-speaker-and-i-have-the-data-to-prove-it

I have all 4 bands of parametric EQ in use based on REW creating a house curve that is flat but slightly higher in bass and rolls off in treble. It would be a pain to try to set different PEQs and load them manually every time for a different volume.
Hi, please don’t cross post the same comment across multiple threads. It would probably achieve more visibility in a single new feature request thread of its own :)

Sorry for duplicating but all of the threads are requesting the same thing so wanted to make sure my comment was seen across all of them.
I was not requesting a new feature. Ow I would have done that.
It's the same feature request as in all of these threads. To have differing emphasis of bass depending on the volume of what is being played.
I was just pointing out that it is a standard feature included in Audyssey packaged with Denon and Marantz receivers where it is called dynamic EQ. Denon and Marantz AVRs have had had dynamic EQ for about 20 years.
It is also a feature already built in to Google Nest Audio that cannot be turned off similar to what the OP said about the Amazon Echo device.
Also it should be noted that having a dynamic EQ or Loudness feature would allow subwoofers in standby mode to kick on more easily for the Wiim Amp. Based on the volume I listen to, I was only able to get my SVS 3000 micro to turn on automatically from the wiim amp by seeting the wiim level to +15 and then turning my sub volume down by a corresponding 15 db.
Thanks

I still don't understand why the "Loudness" button died on amplifiers, it was a simple button that really helped with quiet listening. Granted it's usually off at my typical listening levels, but it on my wiim amp which is often used for quiet listening in my home office, the loudness button would be a welcome return.

There is a Loudness preset in the graphic eq. Doesn't it do what it says?
Not really, it's more like just turning the bass and treble dials up a bit. Loudness uses a specific equation across the entire frequency range.

Not really, it's more like just turning the bass and treble dials up a bit. Loudness uses a specific equation across the entire frequency range.
That's exactly what the Loudness EQ setting does.

Maybe you wanted to refer to different volume settings, no the frequency range?

Back