Wiim pro Equalizer would be a graal when using Yamaha pure direct ? ( or other 'direct' mode )

Matthieu

I have done some tests with wiim pro, topping external DAC and Yamaha RX-Axx

Pure Direct seems to be the best mode to get highest quality sound, meaning from an audio signal point of view, ref 2, while being not so great to hear especially at low volume, with no bass, no warm, just a 'clear' little sound :)

Straight mode seems to be a compromise, but it lacks precision to my hearing ( and also low SN and SINAD, ref 2 )

So I tried to match the sound from a cambridge amp by using the eq from the wiim pro, custom setting, volume at 95% ( recommended by audioscience review, reference below ), using amps side by side.
And waooo the sound is now very nice to hear in pure direct mode. I boost some bass, and just lower some 1 and 2kHz frequencies, to get vocals more deep.

So my question, I guess it's not bit perfect anymore, but does the Wiim EQ loose some 'information' during this process or is it just correction ? there is no digital to analog to digital conversion I guess, the process is only 100% digital ? Which is by far better than to use eq correction from Yamaha receiver, when using external DAC with an analog input of the receiver ? ( the receiver convert the analog signal to digital )

Could the wiim eq be a graal to get a pure direct mode sounds well and still having hight sinad and SN ratio ?

Would be nice to have little explanation and application about the Wiim EQ from Wiim :) And if this is confirmed would be great to investigate a little more on the feature in the app:
  1. it's not easy to precisely play with slides on a little screen
  2. have more custom 'presets'
  3. Direct access to EQ from home page ( like favorites etc )
  4. maybe be export the result ( I loose my first custom preset during a reset of the wiim pro, since it was not found anymore by wiim app )

ref:
1 - Wiim Pro EQ measurements in digital section of https://www.audiosciencereview.com
2 - Yamaha pure direct vs straight stereo measures
3 - Equalizer, digital and before any analog conversion why ( in french ): https://www.petoindominique.fr/php/egaliseur.php

Last edited:
It's a DSP function and purely in the digital domain. BTW some of those mentioned EQ conclusions and advices became obsolete as there is no longer DRC limiter forced in the EQ mode. There is a pre-gain approximately -1dBFS applied instead.

Back