Chromecast down sampling.

g3rain1

When I use Chromecast from the Amazon Music app to send music to the Wiim pro it down samples every to 16/44.1. Is there some way to get it to play the track in native quality? I know Chromecast is supposed to support higher bit depth and sample rates.

Amazon Music can't send high-resolution with Chromecast. It will be HD or less sound quality. Only AlexaCast can send 24/192. If you need HD or higher audio quality with Amazon Music, use AlexaCast.

A good while ago I tried this CC thing for curiosity with AMHD and Qobuz. Amazon sent CD quality and Qobuz up to 96kHz via the WiiM. No idea if there are newer developments...

A good while ago I tried this CC thing for curiosity with AMHD and Qobuz. Amazon sent CD quality and Qobuz up to 96kHz via the WiiM. No idea if there are newer developments...
Re Amazon Music, no. I’m sure it says on their help pages what @Wiimer said above, and has been like that for aeons

So my memory shows me in front of my inner eyes a 44 on the DAC....but no chance to check it again 🤷🏻‍♂️

When I use Chromecast from the Amazon Music app to send music to the Wiim pro it down samples every to 16/44.1. Is there some way to get it to play the track in native quality? I know Chromecast is supposed to support higher bit depth and sample rates.
I know it wasn't the question, but why use chromecast instead of alexacast for AMU?

There seems to be a slight misunderstanding, so I will supplement it.

I don't think Chromecast is downsampling on Amazon Music. In other words, it is native quality, but it can only transmit 16 bits.

There seems to be a slight misunderstanding, so I will supplement it.

I don't think Chromecast is downsampling on Amazon Music. In other words, it is native quality, but it can only transmit 16 bits.
Yeah, Amazon Music I think uses adaptive bitrate (if that’s the right term from memory) so will only send the resolution the device can support. If the app/device detects ChromeCast is being used, it asks the cloud service to send it a 16/44.1 version - there‘s no downsampling performed by the app nor ChromeCast as such.

Yeah, Amazon Music I think uses adaptive bitrate (if that’s the right term from memory) so will only send the resolution the device can support. If the app/device detects ChromeCast is being used, it asks the cloud service to send it a 16/44.1 version - there‘s no downsampling performed by the app nor ChromeCast as such.
If the track is 24/96 and the DAC is receiving 16/44.1 how is that not downsampling?

If the track is 24/96 and the DAC is receiving 16/44.1 how is that not downsampling?
Amazon Music has music files up to SD/HD/UHD/3D for each track. Depending on the user's communication environment, settings, and device, the highest audio quality file is delivered from among these.

So even if you have a 24/96 file for that track, it doesn't mean it will be delivered.

example
Maximum truck rate: 24/96
Device rate: 16/44.1

In this case, the 24/96 file is not delivered, but the 16/44.1 file is delivered.

Output: 16/44.1

This is not only true for Amazon music, but also for other streaming services.

Amazon Music has music files up to SD/HD/UHD/3D for each track. Depending on the user's communication environment, settings, and device, the highest audio quality file is delivered from among these.

So even if you have a 24/96 file for that track, it doesn't mean it will be delivered.

example
Maximum truck rate: 24/96
Device rate: 16/44.1

In this case, the 24/96 file is not delivered, but the 16/44.1 file is delivered.

Output: 16/44.1

This is not only true for Amazon music, but also for other streaming services.

Exactly - hence /adaptive/ bitrate - it adapts based on the target device capabilities and network conditions. The stream is delivered in chunks using the HLS protocol which was developed by Apple viz. https://www.streamingmedia.com/Arti...dium=gutenberg&utm_campaign=editors_selection

IIRC now defunct Chromecast Audio (hockey puck) can support up to 24-bit/96khz. However as others have put it, Amazon Music sends the CD-quality to CCA for streaming. Rationale.... I can only guess Amazon prioritizes Alexa ecosystem and Google aren't best of friends.

IIRC now defunct Chromecast Audio (hockey puck) can support up to 24-bit/96khz. However as others have put it, Amazon Music sends the CD-quality to CCA for streaming. Rationale.... I can only guess Amazon prioritizes Alexa ecosystem and Google aren't best of friends.
No surprise nor news there…

Back