Chromescast to Pro Linked to Mini no audio

azoriusmage

I have a Pro and a Mini with he Mini grouped so they play same audio. Tidal Connect or Airplay and all is fine. Chromecast to the Pro and no audio comes to the mini. Is this expected behaviour? I can Airplay from Pro to Mini when using chrome cast but that rather defeats the point of Chromecasting.

Yes, I'm aware of that, but the Pro can't forward a Chromecast stream to the Mini which wouldn't be able to support it anyway.

Edit: do a group search for 'chromecast group mini' for previous posts and replies

Interesting that is how it works rather than taking an input and sharing it onwards just like say line-in. Worked around it by casting to my Nvidia Shield which has a USB DAC plugged in and using the analogue out to feed the WiiM Pro.

I'm pretty sure that I've tried / posted this before, but even if you had two pros in a wiim group and chromecasted to one of them only that one would play, so it's not a mini issue per se.

I'm pretty sure that I've tried / posted this before, but even if you had two pros in a wiim group and chromecasted to one of them only that one would play, so it's not a mini issue per se.
Ugh really I was thinking of buying a second but all these little niggles are putting me off

Now that you mention that it rings a bell - you have to group them in the Google Home app (which again excludes the Mini) and chromecast to that group

Using the Wiim app is kind of basic I really want to drive it from the desktop and no I am not on Android. Thanks for the info though. I guess what I find odd is the input to the Wii app(chromecast) has an impact on it broadcasting out to other devices. I think of it like an amplifier you have input and you have outputs. It is not like linking the Pro and Mini does anything special to keep both audio in sync so why is inputting via chrome cast any different from input via analog input. All feels bit like a very beta product.

Using the Wiim app is kind of basic I really want to drive it from the desktop and no I am not on Android. Thanks for the info though. I guess what I find odd is the input to the Wii app(chromecast) has an impact on it broadcasting out to other devices. I think of it like an amplifier you have input and you have outputs. It is not like linking the Pro and Mini does anything special to keep both audio in sync so why is inputting via chrome cast any different from input via analog input. All feels bit like a very beta product.
I do understand your point of view, but I also think this is a chromecast issue / limitation, not a wiim issue as such.
Guess you are hanging out for Qobuz connect!

I do understand your point of view, but I also think this is a chromecast issue / limitation, not a wiim issue as such.
Guess you are hanging out for Qobuz connect!
When I am using analog input what protocol is sending to my linked mini? Why can't it just do the same for any source?

When I am using analog input what protocol is sending to my linked mini? Why can't it just do the same for any source?
Linkplay's own group protocol.

And as for why it can't do that for any source, you'd need to ask WiiM directly - we don't have access to their source code or supplier agreements.

Unfortunately the bottom line is that the Mini can't participate in a group fed by Chromecast.

The Mini has a fraction of the power of a Pro or Pro Plus but despite that and its inability to support Chromecast, it's hardly a beta product and does support a wide range of features, especially given its price point.

Back