Confirming I have things setup optimally (Tidal Connect >> WiiM Pro+ >> Sony AVR

b00ky

First, I want to say that things are hooked up and sound very good to me - so this is more of a learning post for me. I am newer to these dedicated streamer/DAC combos, processing, etc. I want to make sure I have things setup as optimally as I can with the equipment I currently have.

I have the luxury of some friends who have offered me higher-end equipment than I would have normally purchased on my own, but I couldn't turn down their offers. However, I have begun going down the rabbit hole of audiophile-ness and I can see the appeal. Not complaining, just explaining why I may have nicer stuff but not fully understand everything just yet.

Current Equipment/Services Setup (In order of connection)
  1. Tidal Connect (Max Plan)
  2. To WiiM Pro Plus via Ethernet
    • EQ is currently off. Not sure if that's good or bad. Probably more subjective than anything.
    • Audio Settings >> Fixed Volume
      • Line Out Level at 1Vrms
        Adjusted from 2 to 1 recently since I swore I noticed some distortion. Plus the volume of the WiiM audio was much louder than my other sources. At 1 Vrms, it seems more in line with other sources.
      • Volume Limit is currently at 100%. Not sure if this applies when using Fixed Volume???
    • MQA Beta is currently ON. MQA Capabilities default to No MQA since I am using the WPP's DAC I assume?
  3. Output via Analog RCA
    • I assume this is recommended since the DAC in the WPP is more capable than my receiver's DAC.
    • If I were to use COAX or Optical, it would bypass the WPP's DAC, correct?
  4. To Sony AZ7000ES receiver's AUX RCA Input
    • I know this receiver has a 32-bit DAC, but that's all I know. I tried to find more specs for it, but my guess is that it may not support the higher res formats and MQA like the Wiim Pro Plus does.
    • However, my receiver does have a setting for "Native DSD" which seems to indicate it can handle a direct stream of DSD audio.

I want to make sure I am connecting the Wiim Pro+ to my receiver using the best output for my setup and have the WiiM configured accordingly. I also want to make sure I shouldn't be using the DAC in my AVR. In the research and reviews I have seen, the WiiM Pro+ DAC seems to be very good and the way to do it for someone like me who didn't want to invest in a separate, dedicated DAC.

Thanks for any help and guidance.

EQ is currently off. Not sure if that's good or bad. Probably more subjective than anything.
Yep, completely up to you whether you prefer the sound with some eq applied.

Volume Limit is currently at 100%. Not sure if this applies when using Fixed Volume???
tbh, I've not tried this yet, don't think it's on Android yet. Easy to find out though... does the volume decrease if you change the limit?
However, if you don't need this feature then just leave it at 100%

MQA Beta is currently ON. MQA Capabilities default to No MQA since I am using the WPP's DAC I assume?
Yep, this means the wiim will do the first unfold, up to 96khz.

assume this is recommended since the DAC in the WPP is more capable than my receiver's DAC.
Use whichever you prefer.

If I were to use COAX or Optical, it would bypass the WPP's DAC, correct?
Correct.

but my guess is that it may not support the higher res formats and MQA like the Wiim Pro Plus does.
Try the test tones to see what sample rates are supported.
Probably doesn't support mqa, but if you find you do prefer the sony dac then the mqa settings you have are still valid - the wiim will still do the first unfold.

Yep, completely up to you whether you prefer the sound with some eq applied.

tbh, I've not tried this yet, don't think it's on Android yet. Easy to find out though... does the volume decrease if you change the limit?
However, if you don't need this feature then just leave it at 100%

Yep, this means the wiim will do the first unfold, up to 96khz.

Use whichever you prefer.

Correct.

Try the test tones to see what sample rates are supported.
Probably doesn't support mqa, but if you find you do prefer the sony dac then the mqa settings you have are still valid - the wiim will still do the first unfold.
Thank you so much for the very organized reply. I appreciate that.

What test tones are you referring to?

Also, I tested and confirmed the volume limit is adjustable even when set to fixed volume. Good to know.

What test tones are you referring to?
In the wiim home app, device menu, audio settings, spdif/coax output resolution.
You can choose the max sample rate and bit depth the wiim will output there.
Note I say max - i.e. the wiim will downsample to your choice only if the input is higher than that.
It will not upsample input to that.

Back