Constant Static Noise When Not Playing And After Standby-mode Time

gurulee

I am hearing constant low, but loud enough to hear walking by, static noise coming out of my attached speakers when Not Playing and after the Standby-mode Time in the WiiM home app settings.
Why is this occurring if nothing is playing and after the set Standby Mode time of default 2 min.?

After further investigation and troubleshooting this is not the WiiM Pro device causing it, rather my Sony STR-DH590 receiver when in CD line-in mode when WiiM Pro is not playing, suspended, or even disconnected.
Any ideas how to eliminate this noise when the receiver is on and not playing anything?

Last edited:
I have already eliminated the WiiM Pro as the cause.
Next I will see if the issue persists in other mode on Sony, which was never noticeable in Bluetooth mode prior to introducing the Wiim Pro connected to the CD line-in RCA ports. Perhaps I will try the switching to DVD or Media sources to see if it goes away.

I have already eliminated the WiiM Pro as the cause.
Next I will see if the issue persists in other mode on Sony, which was never noticeable in Bluetooth mode prior to introducing the Wiim Pro connected to the CD line-in RCA ports. Perhaps I will try the switching to DVD or Media sources to see if it goes away.

It may also be a good idea to check if you have the same problem with Optical and Coaxial inputs.

Circling back on this...
I checked the total harmonic distortion (THD) on my Sony STR-DH590 and it's only 0.09%

I'm continuing to narrow down the low constant white noise static sound emitting from speakers when no line in /sources are connected and the receiver is on CD mode. This does not occur when the amp is in Bluetooth pair mode...

After further testing, I realized the mechanical volume on the Sony receiver was a 90:100 and after turning it down to 30 the static was no longer noticeable when nothing was playing in CD mode with the WiiM Pro at standby. Since WiiM Home app does not directly increase/lower actual volume on receiver, I'm hoping the smart IR/RF controller I bought that integrates with Alex will make it more convenient do this without the actual Sony remote control.

Had the same with a Marantz Amp a while back. It got replaced as part of warrenty and with the new one, the noise was gone. Nothing else was changed.

Back