Issues with the LS and HS in PEQ?

Wiimer

Major Contributor
I'm off today, so I'm testing the WiiM pro and Mini with MRM. So, I seem to have found some issues with PEQ.

I used LS and HS on PEQ to connect the Pro to the main speakers and the Mini to the subwoofer to set up the crossover.

However, when LS and HS are set to their maximum values, they produce loud noise and distortion at nearby frequencies.

After repeated testing under different conditions with a measuring microphone, we found that this problem occurs on all WiiM devices. (MRM is irrelevant.)

I'll post the results here to explain the issue to the support team.

First, the LS has a gain of 0 dB. Look at the red graph. It is almost flat and does not have a volume above -5 dB. At this time, there is no problem with the sweep sound that can be heard in my ears.
SmartSelect_20240406_150342_Sound Analyzer Pro.jpg

Next, LS was set to "100Hz/-5dB/Q24" and a swept tone was played. Then, around 135Hz, the volume increases and distortion occurs.
IMG_20240406_155606.jpg

If I change the frequency of the LS, the problem will occur at a frequency slightly above the set value in the same way. (When LS is "200Hz/-12dB/Q24", it will be distorted at 270 Hz.)

Also, I think the blue circled area represents that the LS is not working effectively.
IMG_20240406_155713.jpg

HS has the same problem.
IMG_20240406_155846.jpg

These issues are occurring on all of my devices (WiiM amp/WiiM Pro/WiiM Mini). I don't think it's an external factor, as each of them has a different amp or speaker to connect to.

I'd be happy if the @WiiM Team would look into this.

Also, I would be happy if everyone here would do a similar test. It should be easy to hear in your ears.

Thank you. 🙂

Last edited:
Shelf filters (or shelving filters) are not really the appropriate tool to mimic high-pass and low-pass filters, for a start. I suppose it's the very high Q value producing the artifacts in the end. I tend to think that these high values are not useful anyway, so should be avoided, if this is enough to fix the problem.

A higher Q will just mean a steeper slope (potentially more difficult to integrate perfectly), not a higher attenuation.

Apart from these general thoughts I still haven't performed any measurements on my WiiM Amp.

Shelf filters (or shelving filters) are not really the appropriate tool to mimic high-pass and low-pass filters, for a start. I suppose it's the very high Q value producing the artifacts in the end. I tend to think that these high values are not useful anyway, so should be avoided, if this is enough to fix the problem.

A higher Q will just mean a steeper slope (potentially more difficult to integrate perfectly), not a higher attenuation.

Apart from these general thoughts I still haven't performed any measurements on my WiiM Amp.
Thank you.

I think I understand what you said, but the fact is that lowering the Q value doesn't make the issue go away. (The higher the gain or Q, the more pronounced issues.)

Also, since the WiiM Team recommends using the Mini as a sub-out, it would be preferable if this problem did not occur. 🙂

Hi, @WiiM Support, @WiiM Team,

Is this normal?
(Ticket number: 501786 )

PEQ: FLAT
1000002304.jpg

PEQ
LS: F 200hz / G -12dB / Q 5
HS: F 1kHz / G -12dB / Q 5
1000002305.jpg

PEQ
PK: F 200hz / G -12dB / Q 24
1000002306.jpg

Setting the PK to "-12dB / Q24" does not cause any problems. Distortion occurs only on LS and HS.

High q is a narrow filter intended to correct with accuracy ,room or speaker resonances (peaks or dips ) that is very specific frequencies .I would probable use high q with peak filter not low pass or high pass. That is my impression at least

High q is a narrow filter intended to correct with accuracy ,room or speaker resonances (peaks or dips ) that is very specific frequencies .I would probable use high q with peak filter not low pass or high pass. That is my impression at least
Yes, but I'm the absence of liww-pass and high-pass filters we are talking about shelf filters here. There is not "wide" and "narrow" with shelf filters, but only steeper or less steep slope and ... overshooting.

After thinking about it one more time, I think we are reall seeing just the amount of overshoot you should expect from a high Q shelf filter. It shouldn't be used like that for the given purpose.

Yes, but I'm the absence of liww-pass and high-pass filters we are talking about shelf filters here. There is not "wide" and "narrow" with shelf filters, but only steeper or less steep slope and ... overshooting.

After thinking about it one more time, I think we are reall seeing just the amount of overshoot you should expect from a high Q shelf filter. It shouldn't be used like that for the given purpose.
Can you tell me a bit more about overshoot?

Is the peaks and distortions that appear in my graph an overshoot, and does this mean that the shelf filter is working properly?

What I want to know is, is this normal behavior or is there something out of the ordinary?

Thank you. 🙂

By the way, support team contacted me and said they were working to resolve this issue. (I couldn't tell if this was boilerplate or not. 😅)

The jriver wiki has some information on this:

From my point of view, shelf filters are implemented correctly for Q > 1, but this type of filter is just not useful for what you are trying to achieve. OK, this must have been the 3rd time or so I said this. 😅 I promise I won't repeat it again. ;)

Hi, @WiiM Support, @WiiM Team,

Is this normal?
(Ticket number: 501786 )

PEQ: FLAT
View attachment 6225

PEQ
LS: F 200hz / G -12dB / Q 5
HS: F 1kHz / G -12dB / Q 5
View attachment 6226

PEQ
PK: F 200hz / G -12dB / Q 24
View attachment 6227

Setting the PK to "-12dB / Q24" does not cause any problems. Distortion occurs only on LS and HS.
Hi wiimer,

Consider adjusting the Q value of your LS/HS to a smaller figure, like 0.25, instead of 5. A Q value of 5 doesn't produce the typical low shelf or high shelf effect needed to boost or cut your low (low shelf) or high frequencies (high shelf). Refer to the figure below for a clearer understanding:

1712554681563.png

Hi wiimer,

Consider adjusting the Q value of your LS/HS to a smaller figure, like 0.25, instead of 5. A Q value of 5 doesn't produce the typical low shelf or high shelf effect needed to boost or cut your low (low shelf) or high frequencies (high shelf). Refer to the figure below for a clearer understanding:

View attachment 6269

A Q of 1.0 is required for 2 LS filters for these headphones (see PEQ towards the bottom of Post 1):

@harkpabst, @WiiM Support,

I'm shamed..
Thank you for telling me until understood.

However, I'm hardheaded guy, so I tried to compensate for the overshoot with a PK. Whether this is practical or not, the results were not bad at ALL. 😁

Main Speaker / PEQ: Flat (without SW)
SmartSelect_20240408_122610_Sound Analyzer Pro.jpg

Main Speaker
WiiM's high pass (Cross: 100hz)
PEQ: Flat
(without SW)
SmartSelect_20240408_121929_Sound Analyzer Pro.jpg

Main Speaker
PEQ: LS100Hz G-12 Q5 / +PK
(without SW)
SmartSelect_20240408_121707_WiiM Home.jpg

This is roughly adjusted with the tablet's built-in microphone.

small ps will you make a peq with left and right separated?

@canard.

Did you see this?

Finally, the stereo PEQ that we have been waiting for will be realized.

Please smile and rejoice once in a while. 😁

wait and see ;-)
(feedback on pec beta, eq, and the positive gain gestion aspect? ;-) )

I'm off today, so I'm testing the WiiM pro and Mini with MRM. So, I seem to have found some issues with PEQ.

I used LS and HS on PEQ to connect the Pro to the main speakers and the Mini to the subwoofer to set up the crossover.

However, when LS and HS are set to their maximum values, they produce loud noise and distortion at nearby frequencies.

After repeated testing under different conditions with a measuring microphone, we found that this problem occurs on all WiiM devices. (MRM is irrelevant.)

I'll post the results here to explain the issue to the support team.

First, the LS has a gain of 0 dB. Look at the red graph. It is almost flat and does not have a volume above -5 dB. At this time, there is no problem with the sweep sound that can be heard in my ears.
View attachment 6208

Next, LS was set to "100Hz/-5dB/Q24" and a swept tone was played. Then, around 135Hz, the volume increases and distortion occurs.
View attachment 6209

If I change the frequency of the LS, the problem will occur at a frequency slightly above the set value in the same way. (When LS is "200Hz/-12dB/Q24", it will be distorted at 270 Hz.)

Also, I think the blue circled area represents that the LS is not working effectively.
View attachment 6210

HS has the same problem.
View attachment 6211

These issues are occurring on all of my devices (WiiM amp/WiiM Pro/WiiM Mini). I don't think it's an external factor, as each of them has a different amp or speaker to connect to.

I'd be happy if the @WiiM Team would look into this.

Also, I would be happy if everyone here would do a similar test. It should be easy to hear in your ears.

Thank you. 🙂
This bug on the Android app would not turn the band off; we will fix it in the next app version.

Back