Quick and easy PEQ for room correction

I’d like to try HouseCurve but can’t install it on my iPhone 7 Plus. Even though it’s up to date, it needs a newer version of iOS

Asking for a friend, really, who bought a Pro Plus and does not like forums ;-)
No answer from me because lack of knowledge. Can this, his curve result in a recommended setting for WiiMs 4 band PEQ? At least as starting point. His main musical taste is what he calls Classic Rock. He uses the dac of the Plus what feeds a beautiful vintage Marantz monster receiver from the 1980s and my old Rogers Monitor Ones.

IMG_2395.jpeg

Asking for a friend, really, who bought a Pro Plus and does not like forums ;-)
No answer from me because lack of knowledge. Can this, his curve result in a recommended setting for WiiMs 4 band PEQ? At least as starting point. His main musical taste is what he calls Classic Rock. He uses the dac of the Plus what feeds a beautiful vintage Marantz monster receiver from the 1980s and my old Rogers Monitor Ones.

View attachment 5024

HouseCurve can give you the 4 PEQ settings to install in the WiiM app - it’s ages since I used it so can’t recall the method.

I am looking forwards to trying this app!

I have used a YouTube low frequency tone sweep video I have dialed down at a narrow bandwidth (42hz) so that the youtube tone sweep sounds even. (It was way too loud before)

As a 25 year career audio engineer (pop / rock music studios) I want to offer something to think about for those seeking a "flat" responce system.

If like me @ 63 years of age you have a degree of age (and for myself career) related hearing loss, "flat" might not be ideal.

You may want to boost frequencies that you are deficient in.

I do this, I know my high frequencies are low so I bost them.

I find it ironic that often people that spend a lot on top quality hifi rigs are in the later stages of life and almost certainly haven't a chance in hell to hear everything clearly on a "flat" system.

So this is just a short not to say that "flat" isn't everything. To hear "everything" some people will need to boost what they can't hear fully.

PS. It's easy to switch off my corrective p-eq for when people with better hearing are listening too.

Additional tip: For iPhone & AirPod users there is a fantastic work-around for the phone's sound output for folks with some hearing loss.

Download the Mimi hearing test App, do the test in a very quiet room and take the audiogram produced by the test and upload it into Apple Health via the headphone settings, in the accessibility / sound settings. This provides a corrective eq across the ENTIRE phones headphone OUTPUT! It's really terrific. Your headphones adjusted just for your hearing.

Last edited:
I’d like to try HouseCurve but can’t install it on my iPhone 7 Plus. Even though it’s up to date, it needs a newer version of iOS
Strange, I'm using it on a dedicated iPhone 6s, using an imm 6 microphone and taking a couple of averaged measures, one at right ear and other at left ear level, then corrected with mini PEQ, following suggestion of house curves.
It worked very well but soon I switched to Dirac, it becames another game...

Last edited:
My hearing loss is not pathological, but simply normal for my age and I am quite happy with what I can still hear. So I don't want my audio devices to remind me of a sound "from the past", I just want them to reproduce the recordings exactly as I would hear the original sound event right now if I were there.

Now please don't tell me that's wrong ... ;)

On a side note, I don't want my Hi-Fi to be unlistenable to everybody else in the household.

Strange, I'm using it on a dedicated iPhone 6s, using an imm 6 microphone and taking a couple of averaged measures, one at right ear and other at left ear level, then corrected with mini PEQ, following suggestion of house curves.
It worked very well but soon I switched to Dirac, it becames another game...
I’ve literally just tried to install it again and it says I need iOS 16.1 minimum. My phone is up to date and running iOS 15.8 so it just won’t install

SOLUTION FOUND IN BELOW POSTS. Any tips for getting the Sweep tone to play out of the Wiim? :unsure:

I have disabled fades and anything else I can think of...

Perhaps I need to set it to 44.1 k ? output? I dunno - I have emailed support. (nope tried that - didn't work)

the sleep tone plays out of my kitchen HomePod Mini's though!:rolleyes:

But I DO have a lot of fancy external word clock gadgets attached between the Wiim and my converter.. that might be it...

Last edited:
I’ve literally just tried to install it again and it says I need iOS 16.1 minimum. My phone is up to date and running iOS 15.8 so it just won’t install
My 6s is at 15.x. I installed house curves time ago, maybe meanwhile they updated the app, changing prerequisites. I should keep in mind to not uninstall it...

Any tips for getting the Sweep tone to play out of the Wiim? :unsure:

I have disabled fades and anything else I can think of...

Perhaps I need to set it to 44.1 k ? output? I dunno - I have emailed support.

the sleep tone plays out of my kitchen HomePod Mini's though!:rolleyes:
Tried Bluetooth?

Well I selected the Wiim via Airplay - thats Bluetooth right? (I see no chrome cast possibility)
Thanks

It is a while ago that I tried HouseCurve. The only way I got it working was enabling bluetoth on my ipad and connected with WiiM. The only way it worked for me.

My 6s is at 15.x. I installed house curves time ago, maybe meanwhile they updated the app, changing prerequisites. I should keep in mind to not uninstall it...
Yes I would not delete it if I were you as I really don’t think you could install it now on these older iPhones. Unless, because you have had it already it saves to the cloud?
Either way I definitely can’t get it.

I think to remember that this connection has to be established first and then it was visible in hc

Checked it here.
Audio in on WiiM set to Bluetooth >
Connect ipad via Bluetooth to WiiM
You get this in hc.
IMG_2407.jpeg

No, Airplay isn't Bluetooth, they're different wireless protocols.
Doh! Of course. It worked instantly!

Thanks so much!

Here is my 4 band PEQ advice (to a harman curve) - I will try it!

As the Wiim is limited to 4 bands - I set 4 bands inside the HomeCurve settings

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-02-08 at 12.49.30 pm.jpeg
    Screenshot 2024-02-08 at 12.49.30 pm.jpeg
    165.3 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Back