PEQ help - HouseCurve app - Wiim Mini

Can you provide the exact question? I'll ask OpenAI using my own interface.
can you give me an approximate headroom estimate in db in order to reduce the digital volume on my streamer if I apply the following PEQ parameters : -7.4db at 86.5hz q=5.2 , -3.7db at 196.4hz q=6.3, 2.6db at 2.65khz q=3.5 and -2.8db at 5.53khz q=2.4

can you give me an approximate headroom estimate in db in order to reduce the digital volume on my streamer if I apply the following PEQ parameters : -7.4db at 86.5hz q=5.2 , -3.7db at 196.4hz q=6.3, 2.6db at 2.65khz q=3.5 and -2.8db at 5.53khz q=2.4
"To calculate the headroom, you need to consider the highest gain applied in your PEQ settings. In your case, the highest gain is 2.6dB at 2.65kHz. However, to ensure no clipping occurs, it's recommended to add a few dB more. Therefore, a safe headroom estimate would be around -5dB to -6dB."

Anyway it's still crap as AI do not take frequencies and Q factors into consideration.

Maybe I don't understand the whole theory behind this, but I still think most of the time you don't have to compensate for positive gain. I listened to music this afternoon for quite some time and has set my RTA to hold peaks eternally, so the picture shows the results from many many songs. It was pretty loudly mastered electronic music. Lots of compression. The results are in the picture. Above 1kHz there was always at least 10 dB headroom. Over 4 kHz it was 20 dB. For example, I put a narrow filter at 4 kHz with a gain of 4 dB, then how could this cause clipping? I think above 1 kHz you are completely safe and don't need to reduce overall gain (unless the filter gain is way above 10 dB). Convince me that I'm wrong.
20231010_181329.jpg

It's all about theory vs real life cases. Audio songs usually do not have such high signal levels at high frequencies, just like you said.

A small decrease in the lower regions can with a certain q value tip the top most curve of your dip above 0db only if it’s a smidge. Most eq have some lower freq adjustments of some order so it’s just common sense to apply at least -3dB. This is what Roon applies by default when you turn on the headroom function. I’ve not had one peq from any app such as AutoEQ or Rew for any of my headphones or speakers that doesn’t apply headroom even for only reductions. By all means ignore it it’s the users choice, but it’s generally recommended.

Here’s my headphone one a boost at 2k and it has -6db headroom applied

Attachments

• IMG_2291.jpeg
    IMG_2291.jpeg
    193.2 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
I am using the latest beta on mini 942.( Oct 19, 2023)

The PEQ allowed me to remove all muddiness due to a congested placement of speakers in a narrow furniture . Amazing improvement in clarity! Amazing!

Light blue is now my corrected curve .

I have used three PEQ settings between 80 to 200 hz to flatten the curve .

However my impression is that sibilance has been accentuated. That is the “Sss” in women voices instead of “s”.

Is this a side effect of PEQ or a bug ?

Attachments

• IMG_1313.jpeg
    IMG_1313.jpeg
    304.8 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1314.jpeg
    IMG_1314.jpeg
    720.3 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
I am using the latest beta on mini 942.( Oct 19, 2023)

The PEQ allowed me to remove all muddiness due to a congested placement of speakers in a narrow furniture . Amazing improvement in clarity! Amazing!

Light blue is now my corrected curve .

I have used three PEQ settings between 80 to 200 hz to flatten the curve .

However my impression is that sibilance has been accentuated. That is the “Sss” in women voices instead of “s”.

Is this a side effect of PEQ or a bug ?

Why not add three different EQs and compare them?

example
PEQ2: Flatten No.1pk
PEQ3: Flatten No.2pk
PEQ4: Flatten No.3pk

Back