PEQ help - HouseCurve app - Wiim Mini

The discrepancy is in the highs though. Probably I have to pay 100 euros for umik 1 mic. Is there anything worthwhile and cheaper ? Probably Dayton Audio iMM-6?

Last edited:
I just bought Dayton imm6 from audiophonics with PayPal my card was charged and no email confirmation and in orders is blank . I got a 404 page error. Not a good day today.

I bought it today . When I receive it I will run the tests again .

Last edited:
Update: New measurements across all possible positions in living room with the new Dayton imm6 mic with calibration file loaded.

Graphs show frequency response and delay without eq.

I have selected to eq to B&K curve giving me asuggested PEQ 4 band settings instead of 10 between 46hz to 16khz range .

It seems the internal mic was unreliable or damaged and it didn’t have the correct behavior at low and high frequencies.

If I apply the suggested PEQ settings will I have any negative consequences regarding the timing of the frequencies ?

I guess I don’t need a headroom applied through lowering digital volume , correct ?

IMG_1167.png
IMG_1170.png
IMG_1169.png
IMG_1171.png
IMG_1172.png

Last edited:
You always need to apply headroom when applying DSP. If you lower the volume limit in the app this will give you headroom. How much you need will be guess work. But start at -3db which is lowering it to 95%. I’m at 87% for safety. My amp has lots of gain.

You always need to apply headroom when applying DSP. If you lower the volume limit in the app this will give you headroom. How much you need will be guess work. But start at -3db which is lowering it to 95%. I’m at 87% for safety. My amp has lots of gain.
what if I use subtractive eq ? That is only reduce frequency volume?

I found that I like this proposed filter when changing the target curve to Harman , range 40hz - 20khz

Do I need headroom in this case ? Is it safe to boost 18khz q1.3 by 7.5db for the tweetesr ? Is this a cumulative 7.5 db of the area between around 13k to 25k? The other parameters are subtractive .

I found this setting cleared the sound.

IMG_1181.jpeg

You can still get samples that go over 0db even with just reductions as the the curve can cause some frequencies to go over. You always need headroom. You are boosting 7.5 db in that curve it’s clipping straight away as you have pushed the waveform above 0db in the digital domain. This is what your curve looks like.

Attachments

• IMG_2273.png
    IMG_2273.png
    143.2 KB · Views: 31
You can still get samples that go over 0db even with just reductions as the the curve can cause some frequencies to go over. You always need headroom. You are boosting 7.5 db in that curve it’s clipping straight away as you have pushed the waveform above 0db in the digital domain. This is what your curve looks like.
I settled here with 95% volume limit . Should I go 90%?

Attachments

• IMG_1185.jpeg
    IMG_1185.jpeg
    673.6 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
You need at least -7.5db, -3db is rumoured to be 95% how accurate that is I don’t know. I would air on caution and go lower still. But it’s your choice.

Update: New measurements across all possible positions in living room with the new Dayton imm6 mic with calibration file loaded.
Maybe I'm wrong but I would remark that you should measure and correct the specific listening position.
If you make an average result all around the room, probably doesn't respect the real needs of correction.

I have set it to 85%. 9db down
But why? Even at highly compressed material that peaks up to 0 dB (summed up signal), the high frequencies are usually like 20 dB down. Plus 10 dB up there will not push it into clipping. I have the TC electronic Clarity real time analyzer and I have basically never seen high frequencies like that even come close to -10 dB. Sure, if you want to be 100% on the safe side then lower the volume to like 90%, but I would say in real life that's not necessary. If you boost low frequencies then that's a completely different story.

But why? Even at highly compressed material that peaks up to 0 dB (summed up signal), the high frequencies are usually like 20 dB down. Plus 10 dB up there will not push it into clipping. I have the TC electronic Clarity real time analyzer and I have basically never seen high frequencies like that even come close to -10 dB. Sure, if you want to be 100% on the safe side then lower the volume to like 90%, but I would say in real life that's not necessary. If you boost low frequencies then that's a completely different story.
Hi.

I ended up not using the high frequency gain. The most crucial underlying problem with my space was the peak at 80hz. I will run measurements when we put carpets back and eventually if I get another furniture for speakers .With that corrected (80hz peak area) and some others in mids and lower highs, I cannot believe what a 100$ device ,a 9 euro app and a 25 euro mic offered to me. The sound now is liquid and not fatiguing even in very high volumes . clear correct voices , cellos , bass everything sound really effortless and correct . In every listening position there are big benefits .

As for the gain they suggest even if it is a reductive gain correction to apply headroom at least equal to the biggest correction in db .

This is what I finally used ( corrected average to harman curve)

IMG_1185.jpeg

As for the gain they suggest even if it is a reductive gain correction to apply headroom at least equal to the biggest correction in db .

I understand that. I'm just saying that for higher frequencies (let's say above 1kHz) I don't see a real need to do that. For basically any song I have ever listened to the headroom there is big enough that you don't really have to fear clipping. Could it happen? Yes. Will it? Most probably not.

What do you think of the Bing’s AI answer to my question of calculating headroom with my PEQ parameters?

To answer your question, I used a simple formula to calculate the approximate headroom in dB that you need to reduce the digital volume by, if you apply the PEQ parameters that you specified. The formula is:

H=−max⁡(G1,G2,G3,G4)H=−max(G1,G2,G3,G4)

where HH is the headroom in dB, and G1G1, G2G2, G3G3 and G4G4 are the gains in dB of the four PEQ filters that you applied. In your case, the values are:

G1=−7.4 dB at 86.5 Hz with Q=5.2G1=−7.4 dB at 86.5 Hz with Q=5.2

G2=−3.7 dB at 196.4 Hz with Q=6.3G2=−3.7 dB at 196.4 Hz with Q=6.3

G3=2.6 dB at 2.65 kHz with Q=3.5G3=2.6 dB at 2.65 kHz with Q=3.5

G4=−2.8 dB at 5.53 kHz with Q=2.4G4=−2.8 dB at 5.53 kHz with Q=2.4

Using the formula, I get:

H=−max⁡(−7.4,−3.7,2.6,−2.8)H=−max(−7.4,−3.7,2.6,−2.8)

H=−2.6 dBH=−2.6 dB

Therefore, you need to reduce the digital volume by approximately 2.6 dB to avoid clipping after applying the PEQ parameters that you specified.

All these filters are peak ones?
Yes.

I got this from chat gpt:

To estimate the approximate headroom needed for your PEQ (Parametric Equalizer) settings, you can sum up the absolute values of the gain adjustments you've applied:

| -7.4 dB | + -3.7 dB | + 2.6 dB | + -2.8 dB | = 10.9 dB

So, the approximate headroom needed to accommodate these PEQ settings would be approximately 10.9 dB. This means you would need to reduce the overall digital volume on your streamer by 10.9 dB to prevent clipping or distortion when applying these equalization settings. Keep in mind that this is a rough estimate, and the actual headroom required may vary depending on other factors in your audio signal chain.

Yes.

I got this from chat gpt:

To estimate the approximate headroom needed for your PEQ (Parametric Equalizer) settings, you can sum up the absolute values of the gain adjustments you've applied:

| -7.4 dB | + -3.7 dB | + 2.6 dB | + -2.8 dB | = 10.9 dB

So, the approximate headroom needed to accommodate these PEQ settings would be approximately 10.9 dB. This means you would need to reduce the overall digital volume on your streamer by 10.9 dB to prevent clipping or distortion when applying these equalization settings. Keep in mind that this is a rough estimate, and the actual headroom required may vary depending on other factors in your audio signal chain.
This answer is crap.

Back