PEQ help - HouseCurve app - Wiim Mini

steadyshot

Major Contributor
Hello…

Setup: Elac carina bs243.4 - roksan attessa amp - wiim mini

I have tried the HouseCurve app using my iPhone XR internal mic .

All measurements were taken 3-3.5 m from speakers .

My speaker placement is lousy . I have my elac bookshelves on TV furniture with height 49cm and space between them 1m. In the middle is the amp and wiim mini .

I will get stands by my wife does not like them in our space so we fight 😂 . 4.5m x 5.5m ( with an opening of 2m to the right side )space .

I have taken 19 measurements with iPhone placement in all possible positions and HouseCurve drew an average curve and some time delay graphs .

I have also extracted some peq settings from the app.

I will attach the screenshots to tell me if you can if you find the settings legit and if I can apply them to peq of wiim mini . Speakers go down to 46hz -3db but I don’t want to touch the low frequency area without a sub . I find the highs could be tamer in some songs .

What settings shoud I apply?

Attachments

• IMG_1094.png
    IMG_1094.png
    138.5 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_1093.png
    IMG_1093.png
    481.8 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1092.png
    IMG_1092.png
    774.2 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1091.png
    IMG_1091.png
    340.6 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
I don't know how powerful the iPhone's built-in microphone is. But I know that Android's built-in microphone is useless.

The first image is the result of measuring with the built-in microphone of the Xiaomi 12T pro (terrible). The second image is the result of measurement with a USB microphone connected to the phone. It's a cheap USB microphone, but I think it's a bit more sensitive and accurate compared to the built-in microphone.

[ Built-in microphone ]
1000003603.jpg

[ BOYA BY-P4U ]
1000003604.jpg

Last edited:
It says it applies compensation boost for the low frequency<60hz and high over> 8-10 because the mic is not so sensitive there but it can still capture . For sure it is not ideal but if it is workable …

Last edited:
I also use the House curve and the mini. iPhone microphones are reliable enough, as apps don't have to rely on millions of different models.

From what I have experienced, you should measure at the listening position and make the adjustment for that only.

Regarding the wavelength, each room has two specific and different behaviors. The one typically under the "Schroeder frequency", where the direct and reflected waves have both points where they cancel and points where they add. PEQ is most needed in this low range, so I used all four bands of the mini, to correct two specific holes at around 70 and 140Hz, at the listening point. Higher frequencies are more subject to delay and multiple paths due to the mirror like behavior of walls and furniture. The wavelength is short and more difficult to deal with. Absorbent or diffusing materials are more effective.

In summary I would use all the PEQ bands of the mini, to compensate for the listening position on low frequencies, also experimenting with closing the reflex port of speakers.

Last edited:
Thanks for you answer @merifon . I don’t want to mess with the sound for other positions just correct some general and underlying problems related to room and current positioning of the speakers . However I can correct low frequencies down to 60 hz because my speaker which has a down firing port can handle . It goes much lower but I don’t want to push it . If I put the speakers in stands those issues can be better . I see that there is a peak at higher frequencies

Last edited:
The problem I see also is that for High frequencies this is not the in room frequency response measured by professional reviewers . The only thing was a 3db dip at the crossover point and it was otherwise flat

Hello…

Setup: Elac carina bs243.4 - roksan attessa amp - wiim mini

I have tried the HouseCurve app using my iPhone XR internal mic .

All measurements were taken 3-3.5 m from speakers .

My speaker placement is lousy . I have my elac bookshelves on TV furniture with height 49cm and space between them 1m. In the middle is the amp and wiim mini .

I will get stands by my wife does not like them in our space so we fight 😂 . 4.5m x 5.5m ( with an opening of 2m to the right side )space .

I have taken 19 measurements with iPhone placement in all possible positions and HouseCurve drew an average curve and some time delay graphs .

I have also extracted some peq settings from the app.

I will attach the screenshots to tell me if you can if you find the settings legit and if I can apply them to peq of wiim mini . Speakers go down to 46hz -3db but I don’t want to touch the low frequency area without a sub . I find the highs could be tamer in some songs .

What settings shoud I apply?
At the moment Wiim devices have only 4 PEQ points.
Hence your correction with 10 PEQ points is not applicable.

The only thing was a 3db dip at the crossover point and it was otherwise flat

Your audio and room situation are difficult to answer because only you know them. 🙂

If the iPhone microphone measurements are accurate, you should hear some peaks and dips. In my case, I listen to the sweep sound by ear and ignore the parts that do not match the waveform.

Also, if the 63Hz peak is the effect of a standing wave, I try adjusting the speaker placement (orientation) and listening position at first .

Last edited:
I have observed from the moment (spring period) that we removed the thick carpets from the wooden floor the living room had more echo. Could it be the reason of accentuated high frequencies in the frequency response?

It is a 15db peak and HouseCurve does not offer eq for this

Could this mean that my speaker has a manufacturing defect or it is out of spec?

Attachments

• IMG_1098.png
    IMG_1098.png
    286.5 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1099.png
    IMG_1099.png
    144.5 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_1100.jpeg
    IMG_1100.jpeg
    161.9 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Saying anymore that only listen position matters, I recently changed speakers, the old ones showed a similar peak on a very high end, while the new ones are roughly flat, in the same room conditions. So, it's true, it could be a tweeter behavior. I have to say also, that in such high frequency area, the sound energy is far less than basses and less invasive.
Regarding echoes, highest frequencies are very directional and easier dumped by furniture and walls finishes, so the floor I think is more related to a middle freq.

Last edited:
I have observed from the moment (spring period) that we removed the thick carpets from the wooden floor the living room had more echo. Could it be the reason of accentuated high frequencies in the frequency response?

It is a 15db peak and HouseCurve does not offer eq for this

Could this mean that my speaker has a manufacturing defect or it is out of spec?
I feel that the bright sound is caused by 4kHz~10kHz instead of 13kHz peak.

Have you tried Amirm's filters?

1000003611.jpg

Unless it is the compensation boost effect of the iPhone mic although the developer says it works ok with iPhone mics

@Wiimer I tried it . I get the same big peak at 13khz
You can also add Amirm filters to the PEQ you set, but choose the sound that works better for you.

Once you've decided on the settings, continue listening for one week, then turn off PEQ and compare again. 🙂

Unless it is the compensation boost effect of the iPhone mic although the developer says it works ok with iPhone mics
If I remind well, mic boosting of house curves affects low boundary only. As I said before, the same "boosted" iPhone mic, got me different results in same place, with different speakers.
Do you have other speakers to compare?

If I remind well, mic boosting of house curves affects low boundary only. As I said before, the same "boosted" iPhone mic, got me different results in same place, with different speakers.
Do you have other speakers to compare?
I just took a measurement with my wife’s newer iPhone 13 without eq.

So it was my phone’s issue I guess

Attachments

• IMG_4250.png
    IMG_4250.png
    181.7 KB · Views: 41
Back