Quick and easy PEQ for room correction

I did play around with it last week using the built in mic on both my iPhone and iPad but kept getting odd results - a peak in the treble with both my 3030i and wharfedale diamond 9.1. No equaliser set. View attachment 4896
I see the same weirdness in HouseCurve with my JBL A130 when using iPhone’s mic. Trebles are grossly exaggerated.

It's helped me pinpoint some bass peaks that need to be tamed - Helpful as a guide. Will keep experimenting

I think is better to save PEQ bands available, for mid lower part of response, correcting room modes. I'll wouldn't take care about happening over 2KHz, better use some absorbing furniture for that or switch to more sophisticated correction system.

Here is my 4 band PEQ advice (to a harman curve) - I will try it!

As the Wiim is limited to 4 bands - I set 4 bands inside the HomeCurve settings
Looks pretty reasonable ... except that the +9.2 dB correction at 338 Hz would worry me a bit. It's not that narrow, but did you check that over slightly different listening angles?

Last edited:
I have re evaluated my sub speakers frequency & volume. And re tested. I am still getting to grips with it. After the setting suggestions, I opened up the lower range all the way down to to 20hz which is not particularly wise as my systems low frequency most likely drops off sharply after 35hz (and I am not minded to make the huge boost at 30hz HomeCurve suggested!!!!)

So I will dial the range back up to 32hz (the lowest range of my sub) and try again.

Last edited:
Thanks!

I still can't figure out how to "set bands" in the Home Curve settings. I see 10 bands when I do a test. Would I just use the first 4?

Sorry for what probably are silly questions, I'm a novice with this.
From the 'HouseCurve' screen after you take and save measurements, click the elipsis ("...") top right of screen, select 'Equalize', then click the settings icon at bottom of that screen and slide 'Max filters' to 4 to match your WIIM. You can adjust the frequency range to focus on areas of concern (I've been playing with restricting the range to where I have most problems to make the most of the 4 filters).

It will dynamically update the 'Equalize' screen with the resulting post EQ curve - makes it easy to see the effect of adding additional bands and how Housecurve optimizes based on how many bands you give it to work with. Housecurve convinced me I need more than 4 so I'm looking at other solutions for the DSP part unless WiiM adds more bands via firmware.

From the 'HouseCurve' screen after you take and save measurements, click the elipsis ("...") top right of screen, select 'Equalize', then click the settings icon at bottom of that screen and slide 'Max filters' to 4 to match your WIIM. You can adjust the frequency range to focus on areas of concern (I've been playing with restricting the range to where I have most problems to make the most of the 4 filters).

It will dynamically update the 'Equalize' screen with the resulting post EQ curve - makes it easy to see the effect of adding additional bands and how Housecurve optimizes based on how many bands you give it to work with. Housecurve convinced me I need more than 4 so I'm looking at other solutions for the DSP part unless WiiM adds more bands via firmware.
Perfect! Thanks so much. Really appreciate your help.

It's a fun little tool to experiment. I've never really used equalizers, or even tone controls much in my systems. I've acquired gear that I like the sound of, and have never felt that anything needed improvement. And while I still feel like that, having this tool to play around with and learn a little bit is not only fun, but in the short time I've been using it I can hear subtle changes to my system that I quite like.

Roon has a lot of bands in its PEQ and you might enjoy the look and journalistic element of Roon.. I have it but very often can't be bothered to keep my laptop open just to listen to music...Wiim app + Qobuz is quick & easy

Do folks test for different settings if/when rotating different speakers, or any other gear, into rotation? I get significantly different setting suggestions(which I suppose is obvious) for different pieces of gear. And since I tend to rotate various pieces in on a daily basis, I suppose having a custom curve available for each isn't a bad idea, if a bit anal.

Using it encouraged to me tweak my sub unit. Once done it sounded almost flat (bass wise) then it helped me pinpoint one low frequency to dip at a narrow bandwidth.

And one high frequency to dip

The 2 mid boost suggestions sounded rotten so I didn't do those.

But I adjusted the ammounts to lower "by ear" myself. (For MY hearing - which is a bit deminished in the upper ranges)

I count myself as lucky that I have been using parametric equalisers for 30+ years now and feel comfortable doing it.

Last edited:
I tested the output of my speakers tonight using a Housecurve test signal transmitted by Wifi using Roon (DSP disabled in Roon) to my new Wiim Pro Plus with optical out to my Qutest Dac and amplifier and recorded via my Ipad microphone from my KEF R11 speakers. Changing the parametric EQ on my Wiim Pro Plus had NO effect on the spectrum of the Housecurve recorded signals. In short, the parametric EQ settings did not appear to work. (They do with Roon btw) Do we know why? I am trying to eventually use the Wiim to modify the EQ of the signal from my TV but am using the Housecurve settings in preparation....

Last edited:
I get the same high frequency peak when using Housecurve and my old iPad and not necessarily through my Wiim pro plus. Will have to try other orientations too I guess

I get the same high frequency peak when using Housecurve and my old iPad and not necessarily through my Wiim pro plus. Will have to try other orientations too I guess
Which same high frequency peak? Must have missed that bit. Did you select the correct mic in Housecurve setup?

Why aren't you streaming from your iPad to the WiiM Pro Plus directly to reduce complexity as much as possible?

EQ is said to be working on optical out. I cannot verify, I don't own a Pro (Plus).

Do folks test for different settings if/when rotating different speakers, or any other gear, into rotation? I get significantly different setting suggestions(which I suppose is obvious) for different pieces of gear. And since I tend to rotate various pieces in on a daily basis, I suppose having a custom curve available for each isn't a bad idea, if a bit anal.

If it’s an amp or DAC it shouldn’t make a lot of difference, but speakers certainly.

Back