Wiim Amp...how do you like the DAC?...and want advice on pEQ settings...

MikeyDee

I have replaced my Wiim Mini and a cheap external DAC for the Wiim Amp, with its internal DAC. How do you like the sound of the Wiim Amp DAC?

Mine is connected to some vintage JBL floor-standing speakers (J2080). It definitely drives these speakers well at 8 ohms, which they are designed for. The sound out of the box was not good, but creating a custom EQ setting helped a lot. I also find I like the sound from my Ethernet connection better.

What could I tweak from the pEQ that would help make the sound better?

Thank you for your time.

I have replaced my Wiim Mini and a cheap external DAC for the Wiim Amp, with its internal DAC. How do you like the sound of the Wiim Amp DAC?

Mine is connected to some vintage JBL floor-standing speakers (J2080). It definitely drives these speakers well at 8 ohms, which they are designed for. The sound out of the box was not good, but creating a custom EQ setting helped a lot. I also find I like the sound from my Ethernet connection better.

Thank you for your time.
It's always hard to answer these questions as our kit, speakers, room acoustics, preferences, ears and brains are all different.

I'd perhaps stick with modifying EQ and perhaps wait for the room correction public firmware to see if that helps improve the sound for your particular setup

Thank you for your time.
when you say you like the sound from ethernet better, do you mean compared to connecting via Wi-Fi?? what kinda improvements did you notice?

some people would suggest trying to improve room acoustics first, and i would agree. and then maybe going down the common mode interference rabbit hole is a worthwile endeavour??! :LOL:

It’s very difficult to either measure or judge the sound quality of the DAC on its own, as there’s no digital out on the amp. You can only really input a signal, then measure what comes out at speaker level.

Back