Connection to amplifier and DAC

Popmaster109

Hello, I'm new to streaming and I would like help with connecting the wiim pro to my amplifier and output to my external DAC,

At present I have the pro connected with RCA line output to my pre-amp and a Optical to my DAC and have NO sound, In the app I click on Optical line output and NO sound when I click on line output sound?

So what I need to know is how do I connect the pro to my pre-amp and then output the pro to my external DAC? To get better sound quality,

Many thanks

Do your pre has an internal DAC? If yes and you want to use it connect the WiiM via optical (or coax) to the pre-amp and choose the output in WiiM app. Then of course the pre to the power amp.
If the pre has analog in only connect the WiiM to your external dac via opt or coax, chose this output in the WiiM app and connect your pre-amp via RCA to your amp.

Last edited:
Do your pre has an internal DAC? If yes and you want to use it connect the WiiM via optical (or coax) to the pre-amp and choose the output in WiiM app.
If the pre has analog in only connect the WiiM to your external dac via opt or coax, chose this output in the WiiM app and connect your pre-amp via RCA
Hi many thanks for your quick reply, I should have made thing a bit clearer my DAC is separate from my pre-amp, so yes my pre-amp is analogue only, so I was connecting the RCA cables from the Pro line output to my pre-amp and than the optical cable from the Pro output into the External DOC'S input

I can not imaging that works or bring good results.

WiiM opt. > DAC analog out via RCA > Preamp analog out > Power Amp
In the WiiM app you can chose only one output, in your case Line out OR opt/coax
Your way, if I understand it correct, will result in something like a short circuit. The digital to analog conversion is done in one component only. Either internal in the WiiM or external in the DAC. In your case the WiiM will send analog signal to your DAC which the DAC can not read.

So now do you have this?
Pro connected via optical out (make sure it's the optical out port!) to dac optical in
Pro set to optical out in wiim app
Dac set to use optical in as its input
Analog rca from dac to pre amp
Amp set to that rca input
Volume not at 0 in wiim app

Hi No this doesn't work just contacting the pro to the DAC only when reviewing the Pro reviews on YouTube said most people will output to an external DAC for better sound rather than RCA line output so it seems you only get the option of using a External DAC if it is connected to the amplifier which has a built-in DAC you can't separate the 2 IE: you can't use an a purely analogue amplifier it has to be an amplifier which has a built-in DAC, if this is the case its got to go back as the internal DAC in the Pro isn't of a high enough sound quality as I will have to use it's DAC and not my separate DAC

Hello everyone, Yes it's working I'm sorry I'm new to this streaming thing i used the optical output from the pro to my DAC to my separate DAC then to the Pre-amp via my RCA cables all sorted many thanks everyone for your advice and time taken in replying to My issue 👍

So now do you have this?
Pro connected via optical out (make sure it's the optical out port!) to dac optical in
Pro set to optical out in wiim app
Dac set to use optical in as its input
Analog rca from dac to pre amp
Amp set to that rca input
Volume not at 0 in wiim app
Hello everyone, Yes it's working I'm sorry I'm new to this streaming thing i used the optical output from the pro to my DAC to my separate DAC then to the Pre-amp via my RCA cables all sorted many thanks everyone for your advice and time taken in replying to My amp

Hello everyone everything is now playing via my External separate DAC however when playing Ultra HD music from amazon music my DAC Hi-Res light goes out? However when testing the SPDIF output resolution I hear the test music and my HD light on my DAC lights up but not when playing Hi-Res tracks from Amazon unlimited any advice?

As far as I know you have to set in device settings
- Amazon Alexa switch to on
- and activate in browser management Alexa Amazon as additional service

In the wiim home app. Browse menu, music services, amazon alexa. Then, still in wiim app, go to the Device menu, click the cog (settings), then toggle on hd/uhd within the amazon alexa settings menu.

You should then find a 'round' cast icon for the wiim in the amazon app's cast options.
The square cast option is chromecast.
Of course, you can also play via the wiim app.

At what sample rate does the dac light say it comes on?
For amazon, anything over 16/44.1 is considered uhd.
What does the wiim app show as the sample rate?

Thanks for letting me know However on the wiim app I've tested SPDIF output preferences and test 192khz 24bit output and could listen to it and my DAC HD light came on and yet played UHD tracks on amazon music app and via wiim pro app telling me it's in UHD my DAC HD light votes out???

Thanks for letting me know However on the wiim app I've tested SPDIF output preferences and test 192khz 24bit output and could listen to it and my DAC HD light came on and yet played UHD tracks on amazon music app and via wiim pro app telling me it's in UHD my DAC HD light votes out???
Have you checked the settings in the Amazon music app itself? Also, you need to have enabled hd/uhd in the wiim home app both under the amazon music service settings and under the alexa section settings accessed via the cog setting icon on its Alexa page.

Sorry for saying that what has nothing to do with your special request. But this praised unique AMHD integration for me seems more and more the weakest or at least most complicated thing in WiiM. Never read about or faced such issues in Qobuz. The Amazon app is for me pure pain in the a...and the price difference should not justify the trouble. As always, my subjective look on this thing.

Have you checked the settings in the Amazon music app itself? Also, you need to have enabled hd/uhd in the wiim home app both under the amazon music service settings and under the alexa section settings accessed via the cog setting icon on its Alexa page.
Hi yes in both apps HD/UHD toggles are enabled

Sorry for saying that what has nothing to do with your special request. But this praised unique AMHD integration for me seems more and more the weakest or at least most complicated thing in WiiM. Never read about or faced such issues in Qobuz. The Amazon app is for me pure pain in the a...and the price difference should not justify the trouble. As always, my subjective look on this thing.
Works for me if you have the correct settings and has been for a long while.

It’s probably fair to say that Qobuz have worked with more third parties with their API than Amazon have and WiiM have done extremely well being in this club of one :)

And it is also fair to confess, that I never made my inner peace with this whole company. So, yes, it is sure that I am completely subjective. But my meaning about the quality of their app will not change. 😉

And it is also fair to confess, that I never made my inner peace with this whole company. So, yes, it is sure that I am completely subjective. But my meaning about the quality of their app will not change. 😉
I agree the app could you with a major overhaul - I can’t see why it can be so slow and cumbersome when at its core it’s really just dealing with a selection of lists 🤷‍♂️

Back