What amp do you run with your Wiim Pro+?

G.Threepwood

I've just received my Pro+ and getting it up and running was a breeze. (kudos)

I got it connected to a Denon AVR X1600h with a pair of Epipson Prestige Facet 14f tower speakers. The Denon is in "Pure Direct" mode, which in theory bypasses the DSP and the built-in DAC . I was wondering if I could get more out of the setup if I replaced the multipurpose AVR with a stereo amp for better results. Does anyone have a recommendation for an amp that doesn't break the bank and would be appropriate for this setup? Is it even worth it to get a separate amp?

And most importantly how does your setup look like?

Thankies!

Currently, Wiim Pro Plus is connected to the Rotel RA-04 amplifier and I play it in pure direct mode

I got it connected to a Denon AVR X1600h with a pair of Epipson Prestige Facet 14f tower speakers. The Denon is in "Pure Direct" mode, which in theory bypasses the DSP and the built-in DAC
Got it connected how?
Pure direct can't bypass the dac if you use a digital input.
Wondering if it'd really convert analog input to digital then back to analog if pure direct was disabled.
My analog only amps have a pure direct mode - it just ignores the bass / treble / balance settings.

My Linn amp digitises all its input so it can apply its “space optimisation” room correction algorithm and digital volume control before passing that to its DAC for output to speakers etc. I guess that might be unusual though…

Fosi Audio BT20A Pro powered at 48V.
The TPA3255 chip is in the realm of amplification what the AK4493 series is in the realm of DACs: a turning point that has made it possible to achieve, at reasonable prices, what previously could only be done with an extra zero.

There are significant differences in sound characteristics among TPA3255 amplifiers depending on the type of output filters used, especially when it comes to toroidal or internal-winding inductors, so manufacturers have relatively free rein to impart a distinctive signature to their products.

Last edited:
Got it connected how?
Pure direct can't bypass the dac if you use a digital input.
Wondering if it'd really convert analog input to digital then back to analog if pure direct was disabled.
My analog only amps have a pure direct mode - it just ignores the bass / treble / balance settings.
Oh, good point! RCA from the Wiim P+ to the AVR. I select the appropriate source on the amp the Wiim is connected to, then switch that output on the AVR into Pure Direct.

WiiM > Lyngdorf MP-60 > Apollon Purifi 1ET400A in our family room. WiiM > Lyngdorf 3400 in our living room.

I have my Pro Plus hooked up to my Hegel h390, I use the DAC inside the Wiim, sounds great 😃
That will upset those on the Hegel groups :ROFLMAO:
All the talk about external dacs, but I bet a wiim pro plus is not what most of them would have in mind...

My pro is connected to a Ares 2 dac then into a MP 701 MK2 preamp to a wells dragon amp.

I've just received my Pro+ and getting it up and running was a breeze. (kudos)

I got it connected to a Denon AVR X1600h with a pair of Epipson Prestige Facet 14f tower speakers. The Denon is in "Pure Direct" mode, which in theory bypasses the DSP and the built-in DAC . I was wondering if I could get more out of the setup if I replaced the multipurpose AVR with a stereo amp for better results. Does anyone have a recommendation for an amp that doesn't break the bank and would be appropriate for this setup? Is it even worth it to get a separate amp?

And most importantly how does your setup look like?

Thankies!
Until recently i had it with a Cambridge CXA 80 amp and Topping d50s dac, the CXA80 is a criminally underated amp and can now be had for a bargain price on e-bay. I recently upgraded to a Roksan Blak which is in a different class altogether but is more mid-fi than budget.

Last edited:
I have the WiiM Pro Plus line-connected to a Rega Elicit Mk5 integrated amp. I’ve also hooked it up to the Rega’s internal DAC via Optical. Sounds quite similar, meaning both DACs sound very good.
Next change will be to use my Chord Mojo2 as an external DAC to the Wiim.

My very first eBay purchase! Must get nearly 72 years old for such an adventure 😉
Think it could be centre of a vintage setup. The phono section is extremely good which was quite normal that days because the most important source was the turntable. Has not the number of connections as modern amps, only phono and tape in. Will try if the tape in fits decent enough together with an external DAC and my good "old" Pro back from the bench as modern part for the convenience.

IMG_1702.jpeg

edit, I have forgotten this post 😇🤷🏻‍♂️
After a few weeks the volume poti began to scratch. No big thing, but for now the only duty of the beauty is to look beautiful.

Last edited:
Back