difference between wiim pro and pro plus while streaming

I just purchased the wiim pro and the wiim pro plus and connected them to the same amp via a mixer. I streamed the same song from amazon music and I did not hear any difference in the quality of sound. they both sound good. I'm I supposed to hear any difference between them?

I just purchased the wiim pro and the wiim pro plus and connected them to the same amp via a mixer. I streamed the same song from amazon music and I did not hear any difference in the quality of sound. they both sound good. I'm I supposed to hear any difference between them?
Have you got Golden ears? If so then yes of course you should. If you are actually the same as the rest of us it’s highly unlikely

Have you got Golden ears? If so then yes of course you should. If you are actually the same as the rest of us it’s highly unlikely
man what a disappointment then, I will return the pro plus as is 55 buck I don't hear lol

man what a disappointment then, I will return the pro plus as is 55 buck I don't hear lol
It is proven to measure better than the Pro though.
Be aware if you were thinking of having 2 players you may find Pro is no longer available

Be aware if you were thinking of having 2 players you may find Pro is no longer availab159

Be aware if you were thinking of having 2 players you may find Pro is no longer available
159.00 on amazon right now I have to return one not sure if I can justify the difference in price. may if I was using cassettes or a phone player might justify the expense

At Amazon UK the mini is £90 and the Pro £150.

If the only difference you’re after between the two is to get the best sound quality, I’d buy the mini and a Topping D10 DAC. That’s just a few £ more, and the DAC is completely transparent to the source. Whether you can hear a difference is, of course, another matter. But you then still have a great DAC for other duties.

If the only difference you’re after between the two is to get the best sound quality, I’d buy the mini and a Topping D10 DAC. That’s just a few £ more, and the DAC is completely transparent to the source. Whether you can hear a difference is, of course, another matter. But you then still have a great DAC for other duties.
I’d wait and get the Pro Plus rather than having to have two units, power supplies, cables etc. That would give a better sound, would offer more connectivity as well as features Such as Airplay Cast that won’t be coming to the Mini due to its lower memory/cpu capacity

How do you connect Topping D10 to mini?
I think the D10 only has a USB input.

If only a third from the hymns of praise the testers issued is true...the internal DAC of the + (weird?) will smash the outdated D10s 😉
And of course USB out isn't there.

If only a third from the hymns of praise the testers issued is true...the internal DAC of the + (weird?) will smash the outdated D10s 😉
And of course USB out isn't there.
Don’t forget it can’t be great HiFi unless there are 2 or 3 physical devices doing the job that one could do. What would you plug those unobtanium cables into otherwise?

To be so true as possible 😉
There are times (not so long ago) I loved boxes. The more the better. That changed dramatically. Exact as my "needs".
And an unused USB cable you can use at many places..

If you don't hear a difference, the cheapest option is to return the WIIM pro plus. The more expensive option would be to upgrade your amplification and speakers. But first you need to get the mixer out of the equation. Try again without the mixer.

I have a Mini connected to an SMSL SU-1 dac. The SMSL has the same dac chip as what is in the Wiim Pro Plus. $170 for the combo but no Ethernet, extra inputs or remote. None of which I needed anyway.

I have a Mini connected to an SMSL SU-1 dac. The SMSL has the same dac chip as what is in the Wiim Pro Plus. $170 for the combo but no Ethernet, extra inputs or remote. None of which I needed anyway.
The dac chip itself is just one small part (no pun intended) of a dac.
From what I've read here and elsewhere, the SU-1 is a great little dac, so yes, if none of the pro plus's other features are of concern then a mini and an SU-1 seems like a great combo.

Last edited:
The dac chip itself is just one small part (no pun intended) of a dac.
From what I've read here and elsewhere, the SU-1 is a great little dac, so yes, if none of the pro plus's other features are of concern then a mini and an SU-1 sems like a great combo.
Yes from Cheapaudioman’s review of the ProPlus alone vs the Pro x SMSL combo, he favored the combo slightly better. Not as good as the Pro with Geshelli J2 dac but that dac is a lot more $$.

Back