Different bitrates from Tidal when played on iPhone versus Mac

ZoydWheeler

hi there

I'm new to both WiiM Pro Plus and to Tidal , so apologies if this has already been discussed, or if there is a simple explanation or fix.

I've been listening to various different tracks on Tidal from my phone - connecting to the Wiim Pro Plus via Tidal Connect. And when I view them in my WiiM Home app on the iPhone I note that they are playing at a fairly low 256kpbs bitrate. However, when I then play the same track again on Tidal on my Mac, and connect to the Wiim Pro Plus via Tidal Connect, the bitrate is much higher and the music is notably better quality.

Can anyone suggest why this might be happening? Have I set something up incorrectly? (I've checked the app settings on the Tidal app on the iPhone and the audio quality is set to High, so that's not the root of the issue).

Thanks if anyone has any useful thoughts or tips relating to this!

Adam

Still getting this issue - can anyone advise why it’s happening? I’m convinced I must be doing something wrong !!!

Definitely tidal connect, and not airplay?
If you close tidal on your phone / turn it off, does the music stop soon after, or keep playing on and on?

Actually, haven't there been some posts here recently-ish about giving the tidal app permission to use wifi on iphones?

Thanks for this - it SAYS tidal connect when I hit play on the iPhone tidal app … but I suspect it’s somehow defaulting to Airplay; which would explain my issue ! Will check out that earlier post re tidal app and hopefully find a fix 🙏

Thanks for this - it SAYS tidal connect when I hit play on the iPhone tidal app … but I suspect it’s somehow defaulting to Airplay; which would explain my issue ! Will check out that earlier post re tidal app and hopefully find a fix 🙏
Look at the wiim now playing screen.
It should show you what the source is, e.g. an icon at the top of the screen.
Is it different for mac vs iphone?

Edit: I don't have an iphone atm to see what it shows for airplay, but it's the tidal 'T' for tidal connect.

Last edited:
Can see an icon that looks like 2 paper clips connected together - and it’s the same from iPhone , iPad and Mac

I’ve gone into tidal app settings on the iPhone and switched OFF mobile connectivity , as that might have been causing AirPlay to connect instead of tidal connect via WiFi 🤞🤞🤞

Back