DIY Roon Nucleus for Pro

jim

Hello,

Had a Mini. Could not get 192. Qobuz suggested to get a Pro with the Ethernet Connection. Got one. Still low static on a very few tracks @ 192. Will talk to Qobuz. Other than that, the Pro (like the Mini) - a really, truly, brilliant product.

Here is where I need help with it:

Been in this hobby for 50 years. Decided on streaming (Qobuz) as only source. Classical (and some Jazz) main interest.

A year and a half ago (after a couple of system-less years) my experience as a long time hobbyist (and my current material standing) guided me towards a $2k “endgame” system: Mini/Allo Shanti/IFI Neo I DSD/Dynaudio Excite 14 Actives. Cabling came via Ali Express. A month ago I went $200 over budget (10%) for a Pro, IFI LAN Silencer and Cat 6 Cable. Super happy.

The Pro is a Roon End Point. From what I understand I will only need a Core to use Roon via the Pro (just for streaming, no stored files or such).

Help will be appreciated in an attempt to build a DIY Roon Core (possibly equivalent to the $1,500 original) that will enable me to use Roon through my system, for, maybe, another 10% over budget (plus subscription and a decent tablet).

Again, the goal here for one audiophile (until and if the time may come for another “endgame” system ) to enjoy the hobby via streaming … and remain frugal.

Thanks

I've been using Roon ROCK on an Intel NUC since day one. No issues at all. All of the instructions to do it are at Roon's site. My setup is Roon ROCK on a NUC, wired to my network via Ethernet. All of my music resides on a Synology NAS. You could go with an external drive connected directly the NUC as well. You also don't need to go fanless unless you plan on having your Roon box sitting in your listening space. Mine is sitting on a network rack along with the NAS.

If you don’t mind my unarticulated question- how is the NUC connected to the Pro? Let’s say I get a tablet to use with Roon and download the Roon app. on it…

If you don’t mind my unarticulated question- how is the NUC connected to the Pro? Let’s say I get a tablet to use with Roon and download the Roon app. on it…
It’s not, it’s just on the same network as your Pro just like any other server.

If Qobuz is your only source (and I take that to mean no local files either) then why the thought to pursue Roon?
Seems like a lot of extra money to access a single service.
Of course, it's your money, and in the nicest way I don't care if you use roon or not, but just wondering...

To be getting 192 over qobuz implies you are using the wiim app.
Don't know why 192 on the mini didn't work, and don't know why 192 on the pro sometimes has static.
Presumably you are hoping that roon will fix the static issue?
Can you try any other streaming service (e.g. a free trial) to see if you still get some static at 192?

So, I just run another Ethernet cable to the NUC, buy Roon, install the app on the tablet and use the tablet/Pro as a remote…

Don't know why 192 on the mini didn't work, and don't know why 192 on the pro sometimes has static.
Presumably you are hoping that roon will fix the static issue?
Likely using Optical. Optical spdif was never designed or certified to handle 192/24, it’s only some hardware manufacturers that seem to push it more than it was originally designed for and this is very hit and miss if it will work. Best to stick to coax for 192/24.

Likely using Optical. Optical spdif was never designed or certified to handle 192/24, it’s only some hardware manufacturers that seem to push it more than it was originally designed for and this is very hit and miss if it will work. Best to stick to coax for 192/24.
Not an option if you have the mini though. I’ve been fortunate it seems running my mini at 24/192 over optical since the day I got it.

Toslink was designed in 1983 for 20 bit and 48KHz, but a lot has changed since then. I have never had a problem with 24 bit and 192KHz using Toslink.

The 192 issue…

The Mini did not run it. Sometimes on the IFI it would show 192, but would turn into 96. My internet is running on 600+ Mbps. I have no other “consumers” on the router other than Netflix (but that is when I am not running Qobuz). It was obviously the Mini. I posted on the forum about this.

Nevertheless, at the same time, I attended an Audio Show in NC where I approached a Qobuz higher-up. In the context of the super positive conversation about the Mini (oh boy, did he praised it) he said it “cannot” output 192. Simply, Qobuz will do 192 only when the streamer (any) is cabled. He suggested the Pro, “as a much better streamer” . That’s how I decided to “break” my budget and buy the Pro, but added the IFI Lan Silencer and the Cat 6 cables. The slight static is localized only on a few 192 track of a specific Qobuz playlist. Non of the other 192 music shows it. It is not an issue.

The Roon thing…

Thank you for your replies.

After your suggestions I looked into the other forums, and the “usual suspects” on YT, EBay, Amazon, etc. I think I know what I am doing now. Maybe, with a little luck, I will manage ( E Bay used NUC, new Non Intel brand…) to cut the price of the device from John Darko’s video in 1/2- $220 or less. Stay on budget.

[ Or…maybe, maybe, WiiM will come up with such a device in the same box as the Pro…just plug it in and choose Roon from the menu on the App…Tidal, Qobuz, Amazon…for$199! And it will work. Why not? If they can make a$500+ device for $150, or a$1000 piece for$299?!! Talking about industry disruptions…]

I am listening to the Best of 192KHz on Qobuz on my CA Evo 150 using WiFi.
Also, it works with WiFi on a Wiim Pro connected to a Denon CEOL N11 via an optical cable. Playing 24 bits 192KHz.

Do not doubt it. I was just describing my experience. I apologize for this digression. The introduction of this “sub-plot” was unnecessary (it does have the conspiratorial element, though). 96 or 192 notwithstanding, the Pro is, as used, far more satisfying streamer than the Mini. Within my budget and in this system (Rooned or not) it is the end-game piece.

Hello,

Had a Mini. Could not get 192. Qobuz suggested to get a Pro with the Ethernet Connection. Got one. Still low static on a very few tracks @ 192. Will talk to Qobuz. Other than that, the Pro (like the Mini) - a really, truly, brilliant product.

Here is where I need help with it:

Been in this hobby for 50 years. Decided on streaming (Qobuz) as only source. Classical (and some Jazz) main interest.

A year and a half ago (after a couple of system-less years) my experience as a long time hobbyist (and my current material standing) guided me towards a $2k “endgame” system: Mini/Allo Shanti/IFI Neo I DSD/Dynaudio Excite 14 Actives. Cabling came via Ali Express. A month ago I went $200 over budget (10%) for a Pro, IFI LAN Silencer and Cat 6 Cable. Super happy.

The Pro is a Roon End Point. From what I understand I will only need a Core to use Roon via the Pro (just for streaming, no stored files or such).

Help will be appreciated in an attempt to build a DIY Roon Core (possibly equivalent to the $1,500 original) that will enable me to use Roon through my system, for, maybe, another 10% over budget (plus subscription and a decent tablet).

Again, the goal here for one audiophile (until and if the time may come for another “endgame” system ) to enjoy the hobby via streaming … and remain frugal.
Thanks

You can by a NUC computer and run Roon server software on it, but those are discontinued as far as I know. Have you looked into Small Green Computer? They make fanless Roon cores (sonic transporter) from $1000 up. I have the cheapest one with i5 processor and it does its magic. Never had a problem with it.

You can by a NUC computer and run Roon server software on it, but those are discontinued as far as I know. Have you looked into Small Green Computer? They make fanless Roon cores (sonic transporter) from $1000 up. I have the cheapest one with i5 processor and it does its magic. Never had a problem with it.
Asus has taken over the NUC brand from Intel, so they are not dead. There are some online dealers that still have old stock of Intel NUCs as well.

Just get a Nuc you can get them really cheap on the 2nd hand market. It’s flexible to then install RoonOs or another Linux distro or Windows 11 if you get a more modern nuc that supports the TPM required.

Thank you for following up.

The Green Computer is a nifty, frugal solution, but I still kinda feel that I have to pay for something I could do myself…

I think I’ll follow CrystalGipsy’s and EricJ’s suggestions. That’s what I was hoping was possible from the beginning. Maybe, the tablet will come from my kids.

When I set up the system the goal was to acquire the best possible streaming solution for $2K, for the music I love to listen. So far, I am in + 8%. Another 10% to get a truly extraordinary music handling device (including the prepaid Roon subscription for a year) is OK. IMO (after the 50 years in this hobby) the the next best thing/system resides in the vicinity of $10K. So, Life is Good.

Back