Dolby atmos on amazon ?

havinthangs

Today I bought a wiim pro came with the remote from Amazon on the sticker on the side it says wiim pro airplay 2. Not sure if that is the plus the old one or the newest one !? I want the newest one ... hooked it up today and through the wiim app nothing is coming up as atmos ? Even tho I pay for HD music . If I do it through Bluetooth on my heos app atmos shows.. does wiim play atmos I thought it did from the reviews I watched on YouTube. Can any please explain, I m new to havin a actually music streamer . I 'll switch back to tidal if I have to . Thank you

The WiiM Pro now has the option of including the remote.

The WiiM Pro Plus (the newest version) includes the remote.

None of the WiiMs support or decode Dolby Atmos natively. If you use a device that can play Atmos streams, like an Apple TV, the Apple TV will decode and downmix the Atmos file to a 2 channel format the attached device can play. I have a set of Severed Heads Atmos mixes that were done recently stored on one of my Macs in Music. Using the Family Sharing (read: DLNA for Macs) feature on the local network, the Apple TV will play Atmos files.

For the curious:

https://severedheads.bandcamp.com/album/severed-surround-system - binaural mixdowns available here, with an extra hoop to get the Atmos .m4a in the PDF included in the purchase.

Ironically, the binaural mixdowns should only be listened to on headphones for proper effect. Listening on a regular stereo should be done using the Atmos files because if you have an Atmos decoder, it can intelligently mixdown to the channels available.

Thank you for the response... I should just return it then , if it cant decode atmos . Main reason I bought it . I have it hooked up to my home theater a 7.4.4
And using the dac in my Marantz Sr 6013 . I do have a Nvidia shield pro !? But I don't have apple products. I don't understand how people are streaming atmos music in there homes ....

I don't understand how people are streaming atmos music in there homes ....
Guess many are simply not interested in and the remaining have found their ways. But most likely not with the beautiful WiiMs 😉

edit and added: We have a Sonos Arc in the living room. In use for TV only here! Simply to avoid the internal speakers of the TV and for our personal feeling our stereo is "too far away" from the picture. But I know it handles Dolby Atmos if wanted from Apple and Amazon Music also. So Sonos would be my go-to-brand for this use case.

Last edited:
Thank you for the response... I should just return it then , if it cant decode atmos . Main reason I bought it . I have it hooked up to my home theater a 7.4.4
And using the dac in my Marantz Sr 6013 . I do have a Nvidia shield pro !? But I don't have apple products. I don't understand how people are streaming atmos music in there homes ....
As far as I know, only Android, ios, apple TV, and Fire stick support Amazon music atmos at the moment.

I don't think this is a WiiM issue, Amazon is limiting it. Who said WiiM is Atmos-ready? 🤔

Edit: I don't know if the Apple TV supports atmos for AM.

Last edited:
May be the next big thing for the "what feature do you want..." thread 😂😂
Yeah, the world seems to have more than its fair share of half empty glasses - no sooner than a new product, whether that be software or hardware is released, there are always cries of “why can’t it do this”, “why can’t you add that”? ;)

As far as I know, only Android, ios, apple TV, and Fire stick support Amazon music atmos at the moment.

I don't think this is a WiiM issue, Amazon is limiting it. Who said WiiM is Atmos-ready? 🤔

Edit: I don't know if the Apple TV supports atmos for AM.
I agree, AM Atmos is only available on a handful of platforms, although I think some AVRs now support it over HDMI from fire tv sticks/cubes.

My biggest amusement are always this (childish?) threatments like: "I will send the item back and the reason for your following bankruptcy is solely on your own behalf....if you do not fix my issues asap!"😉

None of us should feel guilt about returning something if it doesn't meet our expectations or we realize we don't really need it. We all should be more thoughtful about our consumption.

Since none of the WiiMs have coaxial digital inputs or HDMI ARC digital inputs, I would have no expectation that any multichannel audio could be decoded. Even if it supported multichannel, support over optical S/PDIF would be limited to Dolby Digital 5.1/2 (in which case, the stereo mix would be played back, unless you pass it through to your multichannel amp for decoding). HDMI ARC is similarly limited to DD 5.1/2. HDMI eARC will pass through more resource intensive multichannel streams like Atmos or DTS.

Now, my experience is with Apple TV, but I would expect that an Amazon set-top box or TV would either: decode Atmos on the box itself and pass-through a downmixed 2-channel stream over stereo digital or RCA, or pass-through the Atmos stream to your AVR for decoding there. If your AVR only has 5.1 channels, the set-top box should be able to recognize this and downconvert the Atmos information on the fly to however many channels your system supports. I am unclear if this means that the Atmos stream would also be converted to a Dolby Digital 5.1 stream, for example, for equipment that pre-dates Atmos, but it would be cool if that were so.

Apparently there are interesting differences between Apple's Atmos interpreter, which is used on iOS and tvOS devices to handle the Atmos decoding for their headphones, and the Dolby Digital reference interpreter.

Absolutely agree with the philosophical part at the beginning.
Sense or nonsense of Spatial, Atmos or whatsoever audio is everyones own decision. For music it is sometimes fun for me with the Apple headphone stuff. Nothing to do with serious listening, but fun and sometimes quite impressive.
Checking specs and information BEFORE purchasing was never so easy. And so is blaming a company for things they never promised. A somehow misleading or non-precise advertising is to blame. But to rely on features which never were described is silly.

Back