DSD with JRiver MC31 / DLNA ?

madbrain

I just got a Wiim Pro Plus.
I'm using JRiver Media Center 31 for Windows. I'm trying to play DSD64 files (.dsf and iso) over DLNA.
The issue is that the playback does not start at all when I try to play the file. There is no transcoding going on.
I thought the Wiim supported DSD ? At least it's in the specs. Has anyone had luck with this combination ?
I'm sure there is a way to make MC32 transcode, but I'm hoping to free the server CPU cycles and let the device handle the DSD bits directly.
Thanks in advance.

I thought the Wiim supported DSD ? At least it's in the specs. Has anyone had luck with this combination ?
Where did you see dsf support?
I'm sure someone else asked this recently, although I think they were using the Pro.

I'm sure someone else asked this recently, although I think they were using the Pro.
From https://www.blog.wiimhome.com/post/...generation-dac-adc-and-enhanced-audio-quality
"Supporting up to 768 kHz PCM and DSD512, this device achieves a remarkable 120 dB (A-wt) SNR and THD+N of -110dB from 44.1k to 192k."

To me, this implies some sort of DSD support, I'm not sure if it's DSF through DLNA or otherwise, unless I'm reading this wrong and it's just the DAC that supports it and not the WiiM, but if that's the case, why mention DSD at all ?

DSD is also mentioned in these reviews of the Wiim Pro Plus.

It's not clear if any of the reviewers actually tried DSD files and with which software.

Perhaps this is the thread you're recalling?

The DAC may well support DSD but I don’t believe the firmware does as yet. Last time I asked WiiM
, they said they’d discuss it with their engineers. Best raising a ticket and asking them again.

The DAC may well support DSD but I don’t believe the firmware does as yet. Last time I asked WiiM
, they said they’d discuss it with their engineers. Best raising a ticket and asking them again.
Thanks. That's misleading advertising, at best. I'll raise a ticket.

Yes, log a support ticket for this! I found this back in September of 2023. None of the reviewers are testing this feature, why? Logged a ticket with an apology for a response and nothing since. The more people logging tickets, maybe they’ll fix or add what was advertise.

Agree, very misleading advertising and marketing. Only reason I bought this was for the advertised DSD support only for the Pro Plus to behave like the Mini and Pro. I would have sent it back, but those AKM DAC chips are leaps and bounds better.

Yes, log a support ticket for this! I found this back in September of 2023. None of the reviewers are testing this feature, why? Logged a ticket with an apology for a response and nothing since. The more people logging tickets, maybe they’ll fix or add what was advertise.

Agree, very misleading advertising and marketing. Only reason I bought this was for the advertised DSD support only for the Pro Plus to behave like the Mini and Pro. I would have sent it back, but those AKM DAC chips are leaps and bounds better.
Thanks. I logged a ticket earlier today, it is #492511 . They told me they are working on addressing it.

I tried evaluating the DAC yesterday vs my Marantz SR-7011 built-in DAC, but there were too many variables I didn't account for, in particular the volume. And I just discovered when using the optical SPDIF that I had left it at the default of 16 bit / 48 kHz in the WiiM - doh.
I'll have to do some tests again, might not be this week, but when I come back from vacation. And of course they weren't blind tests.

Which DACs did you compare the AKM against ?

I just ordered 11 more Wiim Pro Plus through Ebay for my WHA system to replace a corresponding number of CCAs. I hope WiiM really comes through with the native DSD support.

Following. I'm waiting for native DSD support. Both JRiver and Foobar2K support native DSD and SACD ISO playback to my USB DAC.

It’s only ever going to support DSD64 to an external DAC. Volume won’t work nor DSP so it looses a lot of its functionality. Sync play might also be affected. It’s also likely more stable with wireless only managing PCM up to 192/24. This is a budget device remember some things have to give.

It’s only ever going to support DSD64 to an external DAC. Volume won’t work nor DSP so it looses a lot of its functionality. Sync play might also be affected. It’s also likely more stable with wireless only managing PCM up to 192/24. This is a budget device remember some things have to give.
Are you referring to JRiver or Wiim? Wiim doesn't have a USB audio out.

The Wiim it could be possible to get DSD64 via DoP out of coax if they decided to it’s not exclusive to USB some DACs support DoP via Spdif.

Last edited:
Yes, it might have been misleading write-ups at the least, but I certainly expected some kind of DSD support on my WiiM Pro - presumably showing up as handling .dsf files by sending DoP over my coax out to my AVM 90 (no, I don't expect/care if it works on the internal DAC).

So now I am looking at a particularly "trendy" or "hot" alternative - *with* a screen like the rumored "WiiM Ultra" - but much more expensive, as it has a decent built-in DAC, which I still don't plan to use, as it isn't better than what is in my pre/pro.

Sigh.

Yes, it might have been misleading write-ups at the least, but I certainly expected some kind of DSD support on my WiiM Pro - presumably showing up as handling .dsf files by sending DoP over my coax out to my AVM 90 (no, I don't expect/care if it works on the internal DAC).

So now I am looking at a particularly "trendy" or "hot" alternative - *with* a screen like the rumored "WiiM Ultra" - but much more expensive, as it has a decent built-in DAC, which I still don't plan to use, as it isn't better than what is in my pre/pro.

Sigh.
I would think DSD would work on the internal DAC first.

Me too

Back