Can't search JRiver Media Center DLNA server

madbrain

My music collection is on a JRiver Media Center server, exposing a DLNA interface.
I can browse the collection one folder at a time (say, by artist, album, etc). However, my collection is quite large, and it's not really practical to scroll.
There is a search function, but it never returns any results, even when there should be plenty.
I need a working search function.

Other apps such as BubbleUPnP, JRemote2, MO 4Media, have no problem searching my JRiver-hosted music collection.
I believe there is a bug in the WiiM Home app with the search function over DLNA.

As has been mentioned a lot here (and no doubt elsewhere), while upnp/DLNA are published standards, implementations of them don’t always interact well with different platforms. The developers of Bubble UPNP for example have worked hard to tweak their software for every variant they encounter, and WiiM have said they’d try and do the same. Therefore I suggest you raise a ticket thru the feedback section in the WiiM app so they can investigate catering for JRiver’s DLNA implementation.

I did have a quick look this morning and it's strange because the WiiM does appear to find Album Artists, and I'm sure I got it to find an album once, but I can't repeat it.

It also works with Hi-Fi Cast so it's not just BubbleUPnP going above and beyond again.

I've also noticed that Jriver requires complete tag matches (no partial matches), which is odd.

Yes, it lists the folders properly, and you can scroll and find an album that way, but it is very tedious with a large collection - I have nearly 3000 albums, from about half as many artists.
I just raised a ticket to WiiM about this.

Most people are using other apps for their UPnP browsing (BubbleUPnP for me), but we're overdue some improvements, and you've got to assume they're coming what with the WiiM Amp and its onboard UPnP server due soon.

Last edited:
Back