Media Server connection issue

Mensky

Hi,
I set up Music Server in my Synology NAS to play local file. Music Share was able to connect to it and play albums. However, subsequent access fails. Music Share just keep searching. I have the Server up and running and yet the search continues and wont stop.
Is there a solution to this? Tried searching the forum and couldn’t find a thread that has clear answer. Would appreciate any input. Thanks.

Try installing MinimServer on your PC (or use Windows media sharing). If it works then it's a problem with your Synology configuration, otherwise it's a problem with your network.
Thanks, Simbun.

I’d like to try your suggestion. Can I run the Minim Server on any computer(Mac Osx) that has access to the Synology? I prefer not to use the PC with Audirvāna.

Thanks, Simbun.

I’d like to try your suggestion. Can I run the Minim Server on any computer(Mac Osx) that has access to the Synology? I prefer not to use the PC with Audirvāna.
Yes it runs on most systems. Install guides here.

It will be quicker and easier just to enable media sharing on the Windows PC, but if you want to leave the PC alone that's fair enough.

Hi,
I set up Music Server in my Synology NAS to play local file. Music Share was able to connect to it and play albums. However, subsequent access fails. Music Share just keep searching. I have the Server up and running and yet the search continues and wont stop.
Is there a solution to this? Tried searching the forum and couldn’t find a thread that has clear answer. Would appreciate any input. Thanks.
I just had this problem with 2 windows dnla setvers, one using widow built in dnla server and from a different windows machine running dbpoweramp dnla server.
I tried rebooting and nothing worked. Then I just deleted the WiiM home app from my iPhone and reinstalled and both dnla servers were instantly visible

It will be quicker and easier just to enable media sharing on the Windows PC, but if you want to leave the PC alone that's fair enough.
I tried the Windows PC

the media server on the PC shows up in Wiim Pro app Music Share. It appeared to access NAS with choices of category. I chose Album display. No, the page came out blank.
Likewise, my Synology NAS also showed in Music Share but when selected, blank page came out. A bit frustrating now.

I tried the Windows PC

the media server on the PC shows up in Wiim Pro app Music Share. It appeared to access NAS with choices of category. I chose Album display. No, the page came out blank.
Which are you using (Windows media sharing or MinimServer), and have you configured them to look at your NAS?

If you're getting intermittent problems like these you might want to check your router (and any switches) to see if you have an option called IGMP Snooping, and disable it, as that's be found to cause problems.
Did you also look on your router/switches to see if you have the IGMP Snooping configuration option? This is usually the cause of intermittent issues. Unfortunately not all routers have the option to disable it. What router do you have?

Last edited:
Which are you using (Windows media sharing or MinimServer), and have you configured them to look at your NAS?

Did you also look on your router/switches to see if you have the IGMP Snooping configuration option? This is usually the cause of intermittent issues. Unfortunately not all routers have the option to disable it. What router do you have?
Windows media sharing is running on a PC, MinimServer and Media Server are both running on the NAS when tests were conducted.
There is no IGMP snooping configs in the router and switches.

Here are the screens from my Media Server on my Synology DS213j NAS - how do they compare to yours, particularly the Media Indexing page accessed from the opening screen and the device list accessed from the Device List button on the DMA compatibility screen? All my WiiMs appear on that list as enabled with a default profile and can access all tracks from the WiiM Home app.

What router and switches are you using - have you applied any particular configuration changes to them?

Edit: if you are logging in to your NAS from a PC, you should be able to take screenshots (or part thereof) by pressing the Window, Shift and S keys at the same time.

Attachments

• Synology Media Server 1.png
    Synology Media Server 1.png
    43.2 KB · Views: 4
  • Synology Media Server 1a.png
    Synology Media Server 1a.png
    143.8 KB · Views: 3
  • Synology Media Server 2.png
    Synology Media Server 2.png
    36.7 KB · Views: 3
  • Synology Media Server 3.png
    Synology Media Server 3.png
    47 KB · Views: 4
  • Synology Media Server 4.png
    Synology Media Server 4.png
    56.2 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Is the NAS on a fixed IP?
Is the NAS IP on the same subnet as the WiiM and whatever is running WiiM Home App?

From this reply
Thank you for the responses and many suggestions. After several hours of researching and testing spanning a couple days, here’s what i know so far:
- stopping & starting Media Server seem to work, but loses the link to my files again
- same as above, restarting the Synology server seem to work at times
- I had to restart Wiim each time I do the above
- when working, Wiim and can see my NAS, Media Server, my albums, and play tracks; when it loses the link, Wiim is unable to show the album tracks
- mConnect behaves the same way as Wiim above, but it shows Minim Server too; it can track both on my iPad and the Wiim Pro (it was a pleasant surprise but unfortunately the link also at times is cut off)
- also, I installedSynology DS Audio in my iPad and works perfectly playing tracks on my iPad; unfortunatelly unlike ,Connect it has no function to redirect the playback to Wiim Pro
- from these observations, it appears problem is with connectivity and the NAS, based on the behaviour of the Wiim and mConnects apps
- so my course of action is investigate further the network/NAS side, and in the meantime revert to my original PC/Audirvāna set up

again many thanks to all.

The OP states they have intermittent connectivity, so they must be on the same subnet, which is why I mentioned about IGMP Snooping but it appears that's not an option on their router. Unfortunately it's the only cause I can think of for this behaviour.

Started testing from a Windows PC to see if that proves any more reliable (problem with NAS?) but they're not seeing any albums at the moment.

I'll let then get back to us before sending more advice, but MinimServer on the PC would be my next attempt, mainly because I know it better than Windows Media Sharing.

From this reply

The OP states they have intermittent connectivity, so they must be on the same subnet, which is why I mentioned about IGMP Snooping but it appears that's not an option on their router. Unfortunately it's the only cause I can think of for this behaviour.

Started testing from a Windows PC to see if that proves any more reliable (problem with NAS?) but they're not seeing any albums at the moment.

I'll let then get back to us before sending more advice, but MinimServer on the PC would be my next attempt, mainly because I know it better than Windows Media Sharing.
It is more likely to be a networking issue.
The NAS should be on a fixed IP on a wired segment of the network but both the WHA and Pro are likely to be on WiFi segment.
If the WiFi is flaky perhaps because there are extenders or similar in play then the situation could easily be as described.
Adding more / different software won't flush this out.

It is more likely to be a networking issue.
The NAS should be on a fixed IP on a wired segment of the network but both the WHA and Pro are likely to be on WiFi segment.
If the WiFi is flaky perhaps because there are extenders or similar in play then the situation could easily be as described.
Adding more / different software won't flush this out.
I was really answering your question, yes they are on the same subnet.

The NAS doesn't have to be on a static IP with UPnP or mDNS discovery so that makes no difference - although being a NAS I would generally recommend it.

The network topology could be useful, although given the WHA picks up the Media Server on restart, it doesn't sound like it.

@Mensky,
Could you explain how your network is setup e.g. A single router, with NAS directly attached and WiiM and phone on same wireless SSID.

I'd say rule out it being network related first and then look at the NAS itself.

Is there conflicting software that is crashing and/or shutting down the Media Server and/or MinimServer - can they both be active at the same time? I don't use Synology NAS but I know that you can't run two UPnP servers at the same time on a QNAP without issues bt I appreciate the issue pre dates installation of MinimServer.

Is the NAS set to spin down when inactive and not restarting itself from slumber correctly?

When you can't see the server from the WiiM App can you connect to the NAS web gui and confirm that everything is still running?

Thank you all for your responses and suggestions.

The problem is due to a network issue.

I followed your suggestion to focus on the network first, and reviewed thoroughly my set up and configurations. The problem, as it appears now, is on a default setting of my Mesh Wi-Fi extender. The Mesh node linked to my router via Switch/Ethernet cable is set to its default Operating Mode of “Router”. I changed it to “Access Point” which is the alternative setting and the Wiim app is now showing the Minim Server and DS115J which I believe is the Synology Media Server. Both can access and play my local files now.

I have to see what impact the change has, if any, on other stuff connected to the network. But that is a different story.

Again, many thanks to you guys. I leaned many things from this experience - music servers, DLNA/uPnP, network Configuration settings, etc.

Cheers,

Back