Wiim pro unable to access my local Server audio files.

da_bsg

Hi, I have Wiim pro, it is great, I cast spotify.

For NAS play, I have Synology. I am able to play from Synology iphone App, DS Audio, then cast DLAN to Wiim pro to play, it sounds great!

But when I use Wiim Home iphone App, under My library -> Home Music Share. I can see my Synology NAS and other local network share folders. but when I click in, the folders inside are Empty, I am unable to access and Explorer the folders and files (FLAC, WAV) and play directly from Wiim Home App.

My 7-year-old OPPO UDP-203 can access Synology and other Network share folder audios and play them directly, but why Wiim home App cannot?

Are there any additional settings required? kindly advise me step by step, if you know how.

Thank you.

Attachments

• WIIM HOME.jpg
    WIIM HOME.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 7
It might be that you haven't indexed your music folders so that Media Server can show them. Have you followed the instructions in this link? It can take your NAS sometime to complete the indexing - I think mine ran for a few days tbh

If you log in to your NAS desktop, choose Control Panel, Indexing Service, Indexed Folder, Music, do you get a display like mine in the screenshot where it shows my music folder has been indexed?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-12 142949.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-12 142949.png
    843.9 KB · Views: 3
Hi, I have Wiim pro, it is great, I cast spotify.

For NAS play, I have Synology. I am able to play from Synology iphone App, DS Audio, then cast DLAN to Wiim pro to play, it sounds great!

But when I use Wiim Home iphone App, under My library -> Home Music Share. I can see my Synology NAS and other local network share folders. but when I click in, the folders inside are Empty, I am unable to access and Explorer the folders and files (FLAC, WAV) and play directly from Wiim Home App.

My 7-year-old OPPO UDP-203 can access Synology and other Network share folder audios and play them directly, but why Wiim home App cannot?

Are there any additional settings required? kindly advise me step by step, if you know how.

Thank you.
This may not be relevant to Synology NAS, but I frequently have to reindex (Media Indexing under Storage on the router) the files on the storage device connected to my Synology router. Until that is done, DLNA clients will not recognize them. Any SRM updates and probably cycling the NAS will require a reindex if that it is an option on the NAS. Hope this helps.

This may not be relevant to Synology NAS, but I frequently have to reindex (Media Indexing under Storage on the router) the files on the storage device connected to my Synology router. Until that is done, DLNA clients will not recognize them. Any SRM updates and probably cycling the NAS will require a reindex if that it is an option on the NAS. Hope this helps.
Is Synology DLNA Server switched ON?

Yes, Media Server needs to be running, but the Media Indexing of the Storage needs to occur before Media Server can recognize the files to publish via DLNA.

I have no access to my Windows 10. PC Media Server from my IPhone 13 using WiiMs HMS button-Unless! I turn off my VPN-then it all works fine. It also works if I leave the VPN on and turn on Airplane Mode on my IPhone??? Is there data being sent out over the mobile network when trying to access the media server and getting some reply back from the network it doesn’t like? Not sure how that theory fits in with turning the VPN off. Using an alternative VPN gives no joy either although using Bitdefender’s Web Protection it all works fine as you can’t use BD VPN with that at the same time by design. I’ve downloaded Plex which I think is great. If I turn its DNLA setting on I can see my PC server on the WiiM HMS button so long as the VPN is deactivated. I can see my PC MS using Plex or things like VLC etc- as a standalone App with the VPN ON! I read a comment talking about different protocols regarding how they access PC MS so maybe that’s why? I noticed Plex seems to me to access the PC System where as WiiM needs to see files actually in the Windows Media Player. So I do have the option to use Plex/Other Apps direct and then played through WiiM -or on WiiM direct if I just use BD WP for some protection but it would be good if WiiM can crack that one for their HMS button as it just makes things a little bit easier.

I don’t think you fully understand what a VPN on a phone does. What you are describing is entirely as expected.

The VPN diverts ALL network traffic down the encrypted tunnel to a remote server. That remote server has no access back to your PC.

If however you ran the VPN connection on your router then things would work as you want.

I don’t think you fully understand what a VPN on a phone does. What you are describing is entirely as expected.

The VPN diverts ALL network traffic down the encrypted tunnel to a remote server. That remote server has no access back to your PC.

If however you ran the VPN connection on your router then things would work as you want.
Thank you for your reply. Can you explain then how I can access my media sever with the VPN on if I use VLC/Plex from my IPhone?

Not to be contradictory but I can access my PC media server from my iPhone directly by using most media server Apps with the VPN on, so long as I don’t try the Home Music Share button in WiiM with the VPN on. As I said before it does work if I go into Airplane Mode which keeps my Wi-Fi on but not the mobile network?

Last edited:

Unfortunately I have a SKY Router and they don’t allow VPN on it. 🙁. PIA VPN and I’m sure others allow LAN access on Wireguard.

Last edited:
Back