Stream from Synology NAS

Nickul

I cannot get my Wiim pro App to find my Synology Media server.

The media server is up and running on my network, Windows media player automatically loads all my music on my PC. I can see on the NAS WUI the device list and there are four or so devices connected. My Wiim IP is not one of them.

But when I go to the App ( Android) click "Home Music Share" nadaa nothing, its just endlessly searches and picks nothing up.

I've followed the the Synology help page,

any ideas?

I cannot get my Wiim pro App to find my Synology Media server.

The media server is up and running on my network, Windows media player automatically loads all my music on my PC. I can see on the NAS WUI the device list and there are four or so devices connected. My Wiim IP is not one of them.

But when I go to the App ( Android) click "Home Music Share" nadaa nothing, its just endlessly searches and picks nothing up.

I've followed the the Synology help page,

any ideas?
No direct help, sorry, but maybe try another app, like bubbleupnp, to see if that can find it.
If not, it's more likely a network / setup issue than the wiim app.

OK thanks, I'd not seen that thread having done a fair few searches on this. I'd had reduced my SSDP down to 60 seconds but I've not ticked any of the audio conversions.

I've also got a hunch. For the last few weeks its been connected to my Devices network not the network with my NAS. So yesterday wanting to test the home music share source I changed networks. So I'm wondering if its not dealt with this as intended.
My magic bullet which I've not had time to try yet is to connect via an ethernet cable.

I'll see if that makes a difference.

OK thanks, I'd not seen that thread having done a fair few searches on this. I'd had reduced my SSDP down to 60 seconds but I've not ticked any of the audio conversions.

I've also got a hunch. For the last few weeks its been connected to my Devices network not the network with my NAS. So yesterday wanting to test the home music share source I changed networks. So I'm wondering if its not dealt with this as intended.
My magic bullet which I've not had time to try yet is to connect via an ethernet cable.

I'll see if that makes a difference.
UPnP broadcast does not straddle subnets. If the two networks have different subnets then the WiiM won’t be able to see your NAS.
This is by design

UPnP broadcast does not straddle subnets. If the two networks have different subnets then the WiiM won’t be able to see your NAS.
This is by design

What words in my post led you to believe that I'm expecting UPnP to straddle a seperate broadcast domain ??? Perhaps I could have made it clearer but I thought it was obvious I changed subnets to the one with my NAS before I begun searching for my media server...

Anywho,
I've connected via an ethernet cable, (on the same network as my NAS), and its not helped.

What words in my post led you to believe that I'm expecting UPnP to straddle a seperate broadcast domain ??? Perhaps I could have made it clearer but I thought it was obvious I changed subnets to the one with my NAS before I begun searching for my media server...

Anywho,
I've connected via an ethernet cable, (on the same network as my NAS), and its not helped.
Sorry.
The words that said on my device network and not the one with my NAS.

NB. Obviously you know that upnp does not straddle subnets but there will be many people who are new to streaming and won’t.

Please keep comments courteous and respectful - if @d6jg has misread your post, then I’m sure he’ll explain why he thought that.

d6jg - ok no worries.
I've got four seperate subnets, Main, IOT Devices, Guest and Work all seperated out for obvious reasons !

I employ port based VLAN & tagging , and my NAS, (220+) both ethernet ports are bonded together, Network address is 192.168.60.0. not that any of this should make any difference... I just trying to rack my brains....

aahah, Wiim pro has now appeared in the devices list on the NAS... That is since checking the check box, "Enable Audio Conversion".

But the app is still not picking up the source....

d6jg - ok no worries.
I've got four seperate subnets, Main, IOT Devices, Guest and Work all seperated out for obvious reasons !

I employ port based VLAN & tagging , and my NAS, (220+) both ethernet ports are bonded together, Network address is 192.168.60.0. not that any of this should make any difference... I just trying to rack my brains....
So the NAS and WiiM are now both cabled on Main presumably. UPnP is a weird protocol so if other devices can successfully communicate with the Synology media server then I’d start by rebooting the WiiM. Then the router. I’m unsure how frequently the discovery algorithms kick in. Does the WiiM app do any caching does anyone know?

Edit
And is the phone? with WiiM app also on Main?

Yes all three now on main, 192.168.60.0 , phone, Wiim and NAS
Give it some time and the NAS may appear.

I use LMS which doesn’t use UPnP at all and native devices can be told the server IP if discovery isn’t going to work. Unfortunately WiiM haven’t provided any way of stipulating the server address in their implementation of Squeezelite so I can’t use a WiiM except on the same subnet as my LMS server.

To be fair to WiiM Joe Average doesn’t know Jack about VLANs, VPNs or similar so the use case isn’t catered for.

Yesterday I lost contact with my Synology NAS
. I had changed nothing but since a Wiim Pro update there had been issues that resulted in losing touch with NAS. Nothing but nothing helped but reading on the forums reducing the SSDP in the media server restored the link instantly. It was at 820. I'd never touched this so can't say if a change had resulted in the spurious loss of contact but setting it to 160 seems to have worked. See what happens as time goes on. I've no idea what all this is about but well worth a try if you got problems

Back