Firmware 4.8.522753

Updated here in Oregon about 20 minutes ago, was probably available somewhat earlier this morning. As usual, I then have to reboot the WiiM Pro so that clients will find it. Additionally, it gave me the choice of updating or postponing. My WiiM Pro has not been giving me any issues whatsoever, so the only time I need to reboot is when these firmware updates arrive.

I haven't entered my Spotify credentials for good reason it seems :p

Happy to see frequent updates!
You think it’s good… but a mature product needs to stabilize. Bug fixes are inevitable but they may only affect some, therefore updates should not be pushed, they should be opt-in. If I am happy with my device’s performance I may not want an update, as I know updates can break other things.

It's a tricky tradeoff...

We all want (I think!) for improvements to be made in both the app and the firmware, yet naturally when we have something that meets our specific needs we don't want updates that may break our happy state.

One problem caused by these frequent updates to both is that there are many combinations of app and firmware versions that any particular user could have if updates were not "encouraged". (aka forced.)

I imagine that some app updates require a minimum firmware version, and likely vice versa.
Trying to support such a broad spread of app/firmware versions would be tricky, and further complicate the internal testing wiim would need to undertake.
There have already been comments regarding the eftectivness of such testing, and I imagine that testing is likely to be restricted to just the last couple of app/firmware versions as Wiim know that's what everyone must be on.

I do think that not being forced to update would be nice, but I also think that if you want to raise a support request to wiim then you probably should be on the latest versions.

This forum gives quite a lot of support to users - just imagine if we were giving sound advice to someone who said it wasn't working, and then we found out they were 2 app versions and 4 firmware versions behind.

Last edited:
It's a tricky tradeoff...

We all want (I think!) for improvements to be made in both the app and the firmware, yet naturally when we have something that meets our specific needs we don't want updates that may break our happy state.

One problem caused by these frequent updates to both is that there are many combinations of app and firmware versions that any particular user could have if updates were not "encouraged". (aka forced.)

I imagine that some app updates require a minimum firmware version, and likely vice versa.
Trying to support such a broad spread of app/firmware versions would be tricky, and further complicate the internal testing wiim would need to undertake.
There have already been comments regarding the eftectivness of such testing, and I imagine that testing is likely to be restricted to just the last couple of app/firmware versions as Wiim know that's what everyone must be on.

I do think that not being forced to update would be nice, but I also think that if you want to raise a support request to wiim then you probably should be on the latest versions.

This forum gives quite a lot of support to users - just imagine if we were giving sound advice to someone who said it wasn't working, and then we found out they were 2 app versions and 4 firmware versions behind.
But... we could have the chance to revert to previous FW if, for someone, something went wrong with the new one ;)

Firmware can also render bug fixes. It's important to both user and seller to keep up the feature list and firmware updates , otherwise the product is a brick and unsaleable. I really like the DSP. Still want a better PC interface, and both PC and android versions to remember the wifi network .

For a better PC interface, if possible install the Android WiiM Home app under the Windows Subsystem for Android.

For a better PC interface, if possible install the Android WiiM Home app under the Windows Subsystem for Android.
If I want to use Android, I can use my tablet. Not interested in using a subsystem like Bluestack, etc. - they have their own bugs. Windows is widely used ,supports a plethora of hardware,and is a first- party OS.

If I want to use Android, I can use my tablet. Not interested in using a subsystem like Bluestack, etc. - they have their own bugs. Windows is widely used ,supports a plethora of hardware,and is a first- party OS.
I’m aware of all that, thank you, I was merely suggesting a potential solution. I don’t see WiiM enhancing their Windows app in the short term to be anything approaching their mobile apps, but if you’re prepared to wait until they do, you may then have a native app that meets your needs.

Back