Google Voice Assistant

aguromano

I bought 2 WiiM pro, since it claimed to be Google Voice Assistant compatible, but it was my surprise to learn that you cannot ask WiiM Pro "Hey Google", you need to do it thru another device (like Google Nest mini, for example). Strange thing it does work for Alexa, so I wanted to ask, is this somehow in the roadmap to be added or not? If not I think the advertisement is wrong. I am in the process of returning my 2 WiiM pro. Thanks!

I bought 2 WiiM pro, since it claimed to be Google Voice Assistant compatible, but it was my surprise to learn that you cannot ask WiiM Pro "Hey Google", you need to do it thru another device (like Google Nest mini, for example). Strange thing it does work for Alexa, so I wanted to ask, is this somehow in the roadmap to be added or not? If not I think the advertisement is wrong. I am in the process of returning my 2 WiiM pro. Thanks!
The voice assistant is not built-in. Alexa is also listed as "Work with Alexa".
----
Works with Voice
Ask Alexa, Siri or Google Voice to control your WiiM Pro to play music, listen to news, or your favorite podcast with voice assistants in your phone, HomePod, Echo or Google Home devices.Automate WiiM Pro with other smart home devices by creating routines in the Alexa App, Apple Home or Google Home App.

thanks Wilmer, that means is not something in the roadmap because is more a hardware than software limitation?

thanks Wilmer, that means is not something in the roadmap because is more a hardware than software limitation?
Yes.
I don't think the WiiM pro update will have a voice assistant (At least, I have never seen such a product before).

I bought it on Amazon, and is tricky because it actually clearly states that for Alexa there is NO built-in required, thats why my surprise when I unboxed and noticed it was not working for Google Voice Assistant
  • Upgrade Your Listening Experience - Use the remote with your voice to search and control via Alexa (No extra Alexa built-in device needed). To play or pause, skip song, control volume, mute audio, and launch your preset favorite song, radio station, podcast with one tap. The four preset buttons can also be customized for other device control actions.

I bought it on Amazon, and is tricky because it actually clearly states that for Alexa there is NO built-in required, thats why my surprise when I unboxed and noticed it was not working for Google Voice Assistant

The WiiM Remote supports Alexa and can be controlled with voice buttons. It works via Bluetooth, but is not built-in.

You can use Google Assistant on your phone to control the WiiM.

What is stopping Wiim making their devices comply with 'works with Google'?

I too was confused when I first got a Pro. I think it should be made clearer that the voice assistants only work when casting to the Wiim. Pretty disappointed.

What is stopping Wiim making their devices comply with 'works with Google'?

I too was confused when I first got a Pro. I think it should be made clearer that the voice assistants only work when casting to the Wiim. Pretty disappointed.
Use of Alexa on the WiiM remote isn’t casting to the WiiM, it’s like talking to an echo using an echo voice remote. WiiM devices themselves don’t have a mic for voice control.

Guess you could submit a feature request to ask WiiM to allow their remote to optionally support Google voice control as well.

Use of Alexa on the WiiM remote isn’t casting to the WiiM, it’s like talking to an echo using an echo voice remote. WiiM devices themselves don’t have a mic for voice control.

Guess you could submit a feature request to ask WiiM to allow their remote to optionally support Google voice control as well.
I can turn on a wi-fi light bulb which doesn't have a mic. Even if it only supports play and resume that would be better than nothing.

I replaced a Pixel tablet (USB connected to DAC) with the Wiim because I wanted to be able to choose my music from my phone, which works great but I really miss just asking Google to pause the music or play the next track.

I can turn on a wi-fi light bulb which doesn't have a mic. Even if it only supports play and resume that would be better than nothing.

I replaced a Pixel tablet (USB connected to DAC) with the Wiim because I wanted to be able to choose my music from my phone, which works great but I really miss just asking Google to pause the music or play the next track.
Have you set up your Pro and tried Google assistant as per this faq entry?

PS. I guess you might need to start the stream by voice to be able to stop/skip - or maybe not, I’m not a Google user

Have you set up your Pro and tried Google assistant as per this faq entry?

PS. I guess you might need to start the stream by voice to be able to stop/skip - or maybe not, I’m not a Google user
I don't want to cast from my phone, I want to run Amazon music on the Wiim and control it from my phone, which I can do but to pause the music when the Wiim app isn't running I need to find the remote.

I can see the Wiim device in Google home and I can even adjust the volume but nothing else.

I don't want to cast from my phone, I want to run Amazon music on the Wiim and control it from my phone, which I can do but to pause the music when the Wiim app isn't running I need to find the remote.

I can see the Wiim device in Google home and I can even adjust the volume but nothing else.
You can't play Amazon music on Google home directly.

If your phone is Android, use AlexaCast in the Amazon music app. You can then use the Google Assistant on your phone to play or stop the music.

You can't play Amazon music on Google home directly.

If your phone is Android, use AlexaCast in the Amazon music app. You can then use the Google Assistant on your phone to play or stop the music.
I don't want to cast from my phone, I only use the phone to run the Wiim app.

I understand that what I want isn't currently possible.

Not sure I understand the difference really.
If you are happy to use the wiim app on your phone to play from Amazon, then why not happy to use the Amazon app on your phone to play from Amazon?

"I don't want to cast from my phone" - but that is effectively what you are doing by using the wiim app.

Not sure I understand the difference really.
If you are happy to use the wiim app on your phone to play from Amazon, then why not happy to use the Amazon app on your phone to play from Amazon?

"I don't want to cast from my phone" - but that is effectively what you are doing by using the wiim app.
No it isn't.

The Wiim app acts like a remote control for the Wiim Pro, once it's playing you can close the app and it continues to play. If you cast from a phone, the casting app is sending the stream to the Pro, closing the app terminates the connection and then the music stops.

If you play Amazon Music from within the WiiM Home app, then Google Assistant doesn't know about that. It cannot pause, play, stop.

If you play Amazon Music from the Amazon Music app and choose the Google Cast protocol with the WiiM as the target for streaming, then the Google Home app will show what's been streamed and Google Assistant will recognize your voice commands, e.g. for play, pause stop.

This is not casting from your phone. The WiiM will get it's stream straight from Amazon. You can shut down your phone and the music continues.

As has been said before, WiiM doesn't have a built-in voice assistant. It does support 3rd party voice assistants in the right environment.

Ok, seems we just had a terminology misunderstanding!
e.g. when I cast Netflix from my tablet to my chromecast it's not going via my tablet.
Neither does Amazon music from the amazon app to a wiim.
Nor spotify.
Nor tidal.
Nor....

;)

So, recommend you try using the amazon app on your phone to 'cast' to the wiim to see if it provides an acceptable solution.

Back