Hires music through wiim vs through DAC

Jozinic

Hi All, am hoping that those smarter than me can assist and explain this to me like I’m a 5 year old.

My first foray into hires music once I took delivery of my wiim pro plus a few weeks back, and also new owner of a new to me DAC (TeddyPardo Teddy DAC). Hires music is sitting on a laptop in another room, playing to the wiim via Roon.

Firstly the wiim pro plus is such a cool piece of kit, unseated my Mitchel & Johnson streamer just on Spotify quality alone in a matter of minutes.

Anyway to the point or question rather…
My Wiim pro plus is connected to my amp via line out, and also I the DAC via coaxial (I did also run through optical & issue is the same)

I play through the same 6 songs, firstly with the Wiim set to line out directly into the amp.
And the outcome is as follows:

Wiim - Line out directly to amp:
Spotify: 320kbps, 16 bits, 44.1khz - plays fine
Roon:
44.1khz, 16 bits - gogo penguin plays fine
176.4khz, 24 bits - tsuyoshi Yamamoto- plays fine - source dsd64
44.1khz, 24bits - manu katche plays fine
88.2khz, 24bits - manu katche plays fine
96khz, 24 bits - manu katche plays fine

When I then set the Wiim to coaxial output into the DAC, I get the same results across all but 1 (they all play except the dsd file). The DAC hires light comes on, (so telling me it’s aging hires) but no sound plays

Spotify: 320kbps, 16 bits, 44.1khz - plays fine
Roon:
44.1khz, 16 bits - gogo penguin plays fine
176.4khz, 24 bits - tsuyoshi Yamamoto- shows playing on Roon, shows playing on wiim, no sound playing - source dsd64 - hi res light comes on - no sound playing
44.1khz, 24bits - manu katche plays fine
88.2khz, 24bits - manu katche plays fine
96khz, 24 bits - manu katche plays fine

Here’s a screen grab from Roon playing g the particular track via the DAC
IMG_3012.png

Here same track screen grab from wiim app (again showing it’s playing, but no sound plays)

IMG_3013.png

And for reference when playing the same track directly to the wiiM it plays with sound no problem

IMG_3004.png

Anyone have any ideas?

Before I did the above test on the same 6 tracks, I was fiddling with the audio output settings for coaxial & Optical on the wiim app, I changed it to the maximum sample rate & bit depth (24/192) when asked to play the test sound I did and heard the sound then selected okay and then whenever I played a DSD file it does the above, shows as playing in both Roon & the wiim app, but there’s no sound (& the DAC says it’s playing hires”

If it helps I did also then try change back to different sample rate or bit depth and when asking to play the test sound I then didn’t hear any test sound at all

You seem not to be alone:

As per the above link, when you hit that issue, submit a ticket thru the feedback section in the WiiM Home app so WiiM can inspect your device log for clues.

So the issue is actually with the DAC not able to play 176.4khz which the wiim pro plus was able to downsample.
Having forced roon to sam 176.4 at 88.2 it’s now playing and all sorted

Back