Pro plus coaxial dropout on 24/192

Andrew C

I purchased the wiim pro plus a few days ago it was initially connected to my amp a Rotel ra5 and works no problems, out of curiosity I connected it via coaxial cable a Vandamme 75ohm into a cambridge dacmagic 100.
All seemed to work OK until I tried a 24/192 file from Qobuz then it intermittently drops the sound it plays clearly without distortion but then stops and starts again. I have tried changing the settings to a lower setting 24/96 and it plays fine. The wiim test tone also drops in the same fashion on the higher resolution.
I am a thinking it could be the cable at fault but don't have another digital cable to try. Can anyone recommend a cable they use that works? I am in the UK was looking at the chord cline as I use their rca cables to conect to amp.
Thanks in advance for any help

Thanks for replying.
I have connected it via optical cable and it works fine I have also used one of the wiim rca cables to connect the coax but still get the same dropouts on 24/192 files but not on lower res. So not a wifi fault must be either cable or some issue with the wiim coaxial output.

Last edited:
Have you tried playing through a different DAC? Also have you successfully played 24/192 content through it's coax input before from a different (non WiiM) source? Just to confirm that it isn't the cause of the issue...
Many people have successfully used the (analog) RCA cable included in the box for this, though - I'm pretty sure. So atm it seems like it could be your WiiM or your DAC 🤔
If you are looking for a decent coax cable in the UK check out the supra range, can also recommend oyaide models (might not be available many places in the Uk), inakustik and oehlbach.

Unfortunately don't have another dac to try only acquired this one a week ago secondhand so don't know much about it Unfortunately. I can't workout this out, the wiim says my wifi signal is very good can't use wired conection as router in a different room. When I connect via optical cable everything works perfectly so dac is capable and wiim is putting out 24/192 res, problem only with coaxial output at hi resolution if I drop to 24/96 it works flawlessly so suggests cable is OK and if I connect one of the Chord rca cables to the coax I get the same issue again suggesting not a cable issue.
I have read another thread on this forum with very similar issues but not been able to find an answer I have raised a ticket with wiim their first answer was to set the fixed
Resolution to 24/96 but that kind of defeats the whole point, so have raised it again.
I hope its not a issue with the wiim as I am really impressed with the unit overall and it would be disappointing to have to return it. Had a Yamaha wxad-10 before this and to be honest the Wiim is in a different league.
Thanks for the cable suggestions I will check out what's available locally.

Sorry should have said earlier yes I have tried both conections on dacmagic and both produce the same dropout problem on 24/192 but work fine at 24/96.

I was just experimenting but if there is a fault I would prefer to find out now when I can still get it sorted, than later when the warranty has run out. Unfortunately I am the sort of person who can't let something be until I find out what is wrong probably a little OCD.
Done a comparison with the wiim through rca direct to amp and through optical to cambridge dac and then to amp on first impressions I was coming down infavour of the dacmagic, it sounded warmer but maybe a little less detailed. Vocals seemed more distinct. I will have to try for a longer listen but got distracted by the problem with coax output.

Just had a second short listen and you may be right Cowboy Junkies, Decoration day on qobuz. Symbol seemed less splashy through the wiims dac but will definitely need to have another longer session hopefully this evening accompanied by a good malt whiskey.

A quick bit of Googling implies that others have had the same issue with the dacmagic coax input.
I'd stick with either optical or pro plus analog out.

A quick bit of Googling implies that others have had the same issue with the dacmagic coax input.
I'd stick with either optical or pro plus analog out.
Additionally optical gives you electrical isolation which in your case can only be better. I see no reason to prefer coax if your DAC works at 192 with optical.

Back