Wiim pro plus coax dropouts

steadyshot

Major Contributor
I have constant signal dropouts with Wiim pro plus and coaxial connection. Audio is cutting out intermittently and continuously resulting in a corrupted signal.

I have factory reseted Wiim pro plus and my roksan attessa integrated .

Made sure the connections were firm in both sides .

Tried both coaxial inputs .

The cable is new qed coaxial performance .

No eq 100% volume fixed 100 volume limit . 24/192 setting .

I did not have problems using it as a dac and with optical out .

I am going crazy please help

Ticket : 493796 @WiiM Support

Last edited:
I'm sending back the Pro. I've changed the max resolution on the Coax to 24/96. I'll wait for a firmware fix. Maybe I'll go for the Ultra when it comes out next year. So I'm done hear unless I find a fix, at that point I'll come back and share.

is this a problem on the Pro with Toslink as well? I've been having airplay dropouts constantly and it's not network related. I first noticed it with coax so I switched to toslink and it's happening there as well

Support has been useless and ignoring what I tell them, and I havent bothered making a thread yet, someone linked me here

I had all these problems and tried a bunch of cables…until I tried a 50‘ Ethernet cable to the router, which fixed everything. It was the WiFi. WiiM software does not trap for WiFi errors and the connection showed “pretty good”.

CDs played fine over coax which was the clue.

i ended up lowering my shelf a few notches and the WiFi then worked fine, just something in the signal path interfering.

I am waiting from a local technician to replace the pcb on my amp with one with different ground topology that may help. Hopefully in the next few days I will report if the intermittent audio problem through coax only connection is solved without needing the connection of rcas. I know @onlyoneme supports that the issue is a floating connection because on my amp's side the coax input is galvanically isolated while on the wiim's side is not. But still there are other users with galv isol coax inputs that dont have this weird issue.

Last edited:
I confirm that coax only connection without the help of rcas plays flawlessly after monitor audio replaced free of charge the pcb with upgraded ones . It actually replaced 2 pcbs. I also see a silver metallic cover inside the grills probably more shielding… who knows !

is this a problem on the Pro with Toslink as well? I've been having airplay dropouts constantly and it's not network related. I first noticed it with coax so I switched to toslink and it's happening there as well

Support has been useless and ignoring what I tell them, and I havent bothered making a thread yet, someone linked me here
I'm having audio drop outs via Toslink and Coax outputs on my Pro connected to SMSL C200. This is via Toslink in from a MiniDisc player, which is flawless straight into the SMSL.

Also happening via Ethernet and WiFi inputs from Plexamp via Chromecast, but only at 192/24 output (on either Toslink or coax outs - works fine if reduced to 96/24).

Tried all manner of cables and about ready to give up on it as a bad job - seemed to cheap to be true.

Reactions: Mat
Tried all manner of cables and about ready to give up on it as a bad job - seemed to cheap to be true.
Yup, I was never able to get it working consistently. Support stopped replying to the ticket like the last time I had issues with the Mini.

I gave up and got rid of the Wiim Pro, and looked on the used market for a different brand. :/

Yup, I was never able to get it working consistently. Support stopped replying to the ticket like the last time I had issues with the Mini.

I gave up and got rid of the Wiim Pro, and looked on the used market for a different brand. :/
WiiM have replied today asking if it affects both my devices - I've confirmed it does so it's clearly not just a one off duff unit.

Any suggestions on other brands?

WiiM have replied today asking if it affects both my devices - I've confirmed it does so it's clearly not just a one off duff unit.

Any suggestions on other brands?
I’d suggest you wait till WiiM complete their investigation of your ticket, and if you’re asking for advice on other brands to replace your WiiM Pro, asking publicly on a WiiM sponsored forum is perhaps not the best place ;)

I’d suggest you wait till WiiM complete their investigation of your ticket, and if you’re asking for advice on other brands to replace your WiiM Pro, asking publicly on a WiiM sponsored forum is perhaps not the best place ;)
Fair enough, was coming from a point of view that there's not much to compete with the Pro price wise so genuinely interested if there was anything.

Anyhow, I may have stumbled into a fix. The DAC I'm connecting to has a variable DPLL setting. Whilst I've fiddled with this out of curiosity before, its never done anything (may have been when listening to Spotify that wasn't affected). Read up a bit on it today and altered the setting and it seems to have cleared the audio drops. Is it jitter or some other clock type issue?

Anyway increasing the level up has seemingly sorted it. I guess the I got different results from Toslinks of the WiiM and the Minidisc as one is noisier/more sensitive than another, with the WiiM seemingly introducing more. Will test more tomorrow - do I need to close the ticket down if it is sorted?

Fair enough, was coming from a point of view that there's not much to compete with the Pro price wise so genuinely interested if there was anything.

Anyhow, I may have stumbled into a fix. The DAC I'm connecting to has a variable DPLL setting. Whilst I've fiddled with this out of curiosity before, its never done anything (may have been when listening to Spotify that wasn't affected). Read up a bit on it today and altered the setting and it seems to have cleared the audio drops. Is it jitter or some other clock type issue?

Anyway increasing the level up has seemingly sorted it. I guess the I got different results from Toslinks of the WiiM and the Minidisc as one is noisier/more sensitive than another, with the WiiM seemingly introducing more. Will test more tomorrow - do I need to close the ticket down if it is sorted?
I’d leave it open for now until you’re doubly sure. Hope your fix has managed to resolve it

I have had the same issue as you have. Unfortunately my DAC doesn't have DPLL setting to adjust. I wonder if the Wiim unit itself could incorporate a DPLL setting to solve this issue.
Edit: I have just read that this problem can occur if the digital signal is "dirty". Apparently for sound quality it is better to have the DPLL setting as low as possible. In this case, I'm hoping for good performance from the Ultra when it comes out.

Last edited:
I have had the same issue as you have. Unfortunately my DAC doesn't have DPLL setting to adjust. I wonder if the Wiim unit itself could incorporate a DPLL setting to solve this issue.
Edit: I have just read that this problem can occur if the digital signal is "dirty". Apparently for sound quality it is better to have the DPLL setting as low as possible. In this case, I'm hoping for good performance from the Ultra when it comes out.
Yes that's my understanding too. Funny thing is I barely had a drop out connecting the MiniDisc player directly to the DAC, but looping through the Pro (for ease of source selection, EQ) introduced the drop outs.

Adjusting the DPLL has also seemingly sorted the issue I was having with Chromecast/Plexamp to the Pro too, as it dropped at anything above 96/24 - no idea why it was fine at 96 and below. I'm also not sure if the DAC had a default value that I've mistakenly altered and introduced the issue.

I just need to trial and find the lowest DPLL setting I can get away with now. But agreed, it does seem an area WiiM could look to improve or provide a setting for if it is a dirty signal being sent.

It's not "dirty", it can be good enough for the particular transmitter-receiver combination in terms of the signal amplitude or waveform shape, or not, instead. Having higher PLL bandwidth on the receiver side usually helps to establish and maintain a stable digital connection, and it might also reduce an internal clock jitter, but there is also a trade-off due to the reduced effectiveness of the incoming jitter suppression, where the narrower BW is preferred. It's a compromise.

I Have the same problem, dropouts with coaxial digital rca cable between Wiim Pro Plus and Quad Vena 2 play. Random lagging the sound, very bad. Only on coaxial digital, nothing is help with other cable or other power supply. But if i push the rca cable between the streamer and amp the better a little bit rarely do it.

Back