Home music share not showing all music

Mr Ee

Major Contributor
Hi all,

When I choose Home Music Share from within Wiim Home app I don't see all the music that I know is on my nas.
Everything seems to be missing from partway through "S", alphabetically, even "Browse Folders" doesn't show folders after S.
I do see all the music / files when browsing from a Bluesound Node, but I think that performs its own indexing and doesn't use the media server part of my share.

It's quite possible this is not a wiim issue, as I get the same issue browsing from a Heos Link, leading me to think it's more ikely an issue with the not so great default modem, and its inbuilt media server, my internet provider supplied, as the HDD is just plugged into that.
Wondering if I've hit a limit, such as 10,000 files, which would put me somewhere within S.
Having said that, I would expect functionality called Browse Folders to actually do that...

Suggestions?
Maybe buy a 'proper' NAS...?

Hello, is there somebody here? Im having the same problem, and i would like to understand why you think the problemis in the nas. Iamusing a usb hd connected tomy router as a nas. Using other app i can see and play everything, router see all my folders, but wiimi not.it stops at J letter. If the fault were the nas, other apps would see the same,isnt it?
What other app? How is it accessing the files?
For example, when my hdd was plugged directly into my router I could use, for example, windows explorer and see everything. i.e. it was just acting as an external hdd.
When I used a bluesound node it was also just like an external hdd, as the node connects using SMB.
However, when I tried to access those same files via the modem's media server, no app at all could see past 10,000 items, which was into "S" for me. It was a limitation of the media server implementation in the modem.

Hi Simbn, thanks for answering. Im using a ipad air3 to run wiimi app. Usb disk is connected directly to my tplink archer ax-55 and shared with samba protocol. In tplink web page, i can choose what directory to share and i can see all the flac folders are present and selected. On wiim i go in browse/my music at home/mediaName/browse folders then i scroll list, but it stops to ‘J…..’.
If i go to my music instead, and then choose folders, its the same. If i go to all music, it list songs in alfabethical order but i cant find Zero7 albums, and so on.
If i use another app i purchased from apple store, called MusicStreamer, i can see everything. So i use MusicStreamer to send music to wiim app and finally to my active loudspeakers, but its hard, this way, knowing about the effective signals im sending to my loudspeakers, because the chain pass through 2 software…..
If router nas were fault, it wouldnt work with other application i think….

Hi Simbn, thanks for answering. Im using a ipad air3 to run wiimi app. Usb disk is connected directly to my tplink archer ax-55 and shared with samba protocol. In tplink web page, i can choose what directory to share and i can see all the flac folders are present and selected. On wiim i go in browse/my music at home/mediaName/browse folders then i scroll list, but it stops to ‘J…..’.
If i go to my music instead, and then choose folders, its the same. If i go to all music, it list songs in alfabethical order but i cant find Zero7 albums, and so on.
If i use another app i purchased from apple store, called MusicStreamer, i can see everything. So i use MusicStreamer to send music to wiim app and finally to my active loudspeakers, but its hard, this way, knowing about the effective signals im sending to my loudspeakers, because the chain pass through 2 software…..
If router nas were fault, it wouldnt work with other application i think….

Via samba is not the same as via the media server your tplink archer exposes.
I had a tplink archer.
How many files would you say you have up to "J"?

I have more than 1500 folders with about 10 files for each. J is more or less after the middle point, so i think we are around 800 folders and maybe more than 8000-10000 files counting info, jpeg, pdf, cover and so on

Given the WiiM app doesn't browse samba shares you must be using the internal media server which I believe is MiniDLNA.

I've never heard of MusicStreamer but it looks like it might be accessing your music through the samba share, so could you install mconnect and see if that also stops at J? If it does then it's a limitation of the router/MiniDLNA combination.

I have more than 1500 folders with about 10 files for each. J is more or less after the middle point, so i think we are around 800 folders and maybe more than 8000-10000 files counting info, jpeg, pdf, cover and so on
Then I'd be almost certain you've hit the 10,000 file limit for the archer media server, like I did.
I've not heard of music streamer either, but unless you are streaming via airplay, I'd expect the files to be going directly to the wiim, i.e. no loss due to the 'chain' you mentioned.

Well, even mconnect do exactly the same.
MusicStreamer connect with wiim in airplay 2, so its not what i want.
I unset samba,ftp and secure server on tplink, but all seems to continue to working…😯
Even if i have half of my collection. I bought archer just because has a usb port, and because fritzbox was too expensive ….but quality has a cost.

What i still don’t understand is why MusicStreamer can access all the folders . Again, if tplink would have a media server limitation, this should be true for every app going to read the usb disk. Isnt it?

Well, even mconnect do exactly the same.
Do you mean that mconnect shows the same as the WiiM app? If that's the case then it's not a problem with the WiiM app.
Even if i have half of my collection. I bought archer just because has a usb port, and because fritzbox was too expensive ….but quality has a cost.
If you know a little Linux (or comfortable following instructions) you'd be much better off buying a Raspberry Pi 4.
What i still don’t understand is why MusicStreamer can access all the folders.
Assuming that your answer to my first question is that the mconnect and WiiM app have the same limitation, then it's because MusicStreamer is accessing the files through a fileshare and indexing the files itself, whereas mconnect and the WiiM app don't work that way, in UPnP it's the media servers responsibility to index the files, the app just displays what it's told to by the media server, and it appears to be a limitation of the media server in this instance that's limiting you to ~10000 tracks.

What i still don’t understand is why MusicStreamer can access all the folders . Again, if tplink would have a media server limitation, this should be true for every app going to read the usb disk. Isnt it?
For every app accessing the files via the Archer's media server, yes.
For apps accessing the hdd directly, no.

I've not used mconnect so don't know if it allows you to access files via SMB.

If you have an android device then you could try the bubbleupnp app.
This does support SMB acces, and you can cast 'directly' to the wiim.

Thanks to both for your answers. Now its clear to me. Its a pity wiim cant access directly to hdd as MusicStreamer do, because this one, read hdd but then has to use airplay 2 to connect to wiim or bypassing it ,to my active loudspeakers. Anyway, i read that airplay 2 has graeat improvments over airplay 1, but my goal were to read directly my flacs through wiim and give them in output via aux to my loudspeakers. I have already a raspy4 with moode in another home, its connected to a topping 50 external dac and a onkyo amplifier, but wanted to have a minimal and less expensive hifi set in this smaller home, and thought this would have been a nice solution. I was wrong, i didnt consider archer media server limitation. Well now i know why it doesnt work. Thanks so much for your kind explanations

Back