Hooking Wiim Pro to AVR

This is exactly what I expect is the case so there's no point running analog from (any) Wiim to the AVR. The other (minor) issue is my AVR has no trigger in and I'm not sure if feeding a signal from the WiiM to either Digital or Analog inputs will wake up the AVR. I need to test this at some point but need to wait until I get my Ultra 😉🤞
Using a WiiM with an AVR is always going to have this sort of issue.

Just FYI there are quite a few modern DAC/Amps that can detect signal over Digital circuits and auto-on as a result but I haven't seem any with an Analog equivalent. You need an old fashioned trigger input for this.

I'm running a WiiM Pro over Coax to a Topping MX3 and in celing B&W speakers in my kitchen for this reason. SQ isn't the highest priority here.

The issue is the analog input chain on an AVR. It typically goes like this.

Analog -> ADC -> DSP -> DAC -> Amp -> Speakers

Add a WiiM in front

WiiM DAC -> Analog -> ADC -> DSP -> DAC -> Amp -> Speakers
OR
WiiM -> Optical/Coax -> DSP -> DAC -> Amp -> Speakers

Even if your Pure Direct or whatever disables any DSP it can be converting from Analog to Digital and back to Analog if you use the WiiM's onboard DAC which normally you would want to do as it is usually better than the one in your AVR.
Agreed. That's how the WiiM Amp works, too. But in any case the term "bypass the internal DAC" is not quite appropriate. The internal DAC will always be used for digital inputs. For analog inputs there's more that needed to be bypassed than just the DAC ...

Back