How do I play Apple Music?

Jimhinckley1954

I don’t care if it’s only AAC or CD quality… I just want to be able to play my Apple Music through the WiiM Pro Plus so I can control it through my iPad. If I wantAple lossless I can play it through my Microsoft Surface Pro via USB, but then I have to keep going back to it to change songs, volume etc… for ease of use or parties I’d like to just be able to play Apple Music through the WiiM. How do I do this… I click Browse and it shows Amazon, Tidal, Qubuz etc. but no Apple 🤷‍♂️

Apple Music isn’t natively supported so you need to use airplay from the device running the Apple Music app, but it only delivers AAC.

I don’t care if it’s only AAC or CD quality… I just want to be able to play my Apple Music through the WiiM Pro Plus so I can control it through my iPad. If I wantAple lossless I can play it through my Microsoft Surface Pro via USB, but then I have to keep going back to it to change songs, volume etc… for ease of use or parties I’d like to just be able to play Apple Music through the WiiM. How do I do this… I click Browse and it shows Amazon, Tidal, Qubuz etc. but no Apple 🤷‍♂️
Apple don’t allow integration with 3rd parties unless they decide it’s worth it for them, only a selective few devices can Sonos and a few expensive cars. You need to use airplay as described above which will be lossy aac.

Apple don’t allow integration with 3rd parties unless they decide it’s worth it for them, only a selective few devices can Sonos and a few expensive cars. You need to use airplay as described above which will be lossy aac.
And this thread would suggest that even from Tesla and Sonos, it’s still only AAC

Thread 'Please add Apple music as a streaming service to the WiiM app.'
https://forum.wiimhome.com/threads/...-as-a-streaming-service-to-the-wiim-app.1892/

And this thread would suggest that even from Tesla and Sonos, it’s still only AAC

Thread 'Please add Apple music as a streaming service to the WiiM app.'
https://forum.wiimhome.com/threads/...-as-a-streaming-service-to-the-wiim-app.1892/
It is indeed only their own apps allow it. So Android audio devices with it the Apple Music app can achieve hires, which means it’s Eversolo, Fiio for non DAPs and Fiio, Hiby, Shanling and iBasso for DAPs not sure A&K have whitelisted the AM app for use on their kit. Or it’s iOS iPads phones with a dac attached.

For iPads with USB-C it works with all the dongles and DACs I've tried. And that are quite a lot. No idea how and if it will work with the coming iPhone 15 as first iPhone with USB-C, but it would not make any sense if the phone would be different to the tablet. But its Apple and they have sometimes decisions which makes no sense at first view.
There are DACs for Lightning, but I didn't try one.
Of course all this is meant for wired headphones, not for home stereo.

And if one is fine with CD quality "only" on his iPad the cheap 19 € wired USB-C Earpods from Apple are worth a try and sound surprisingly adult. They also work with Android, but as UAPP tells me 24/48 is the summit.

Apple Music isn’t natively supported so you need to use airplay from the device running the Apple Music app, but it only delivers AAC.

I have a WiiM Pro and have used it as an Airplay destination for quite some time.

However recently I was surprised to discover that - much like a HomePod - you can actually stream Apple Music directly to the WiiM Pro. It's not that apparent - you have to either:

1. Create a scene in the Home app with the WiiM Pro to play music from your Apple Music library (including Apple Radio stations).
2. From the iOS (or MacOS) music app, click 'Control Other Speakers', choose the WiiM Pro, and then return to your library to select music to play.

The music will then play, even if your iOS device is turned off.

I have a WiiM Pro and have used it as an Airplay destination for quite some time.

However recently I was surprised to discover that - much like a HomePod - you can actually stream Apple Music directly to the WiiM Pro. It's not that apparent - you have to either:

1. Create a scene in the Home app with the WiiM Pro to play music from your Apple Music library (including Apple Radio stations).
2. From the iOS (or MacOS) music app, click 'Control Other Speakers', choose the WiiM Pro, and then return to your library to select music to play.

Or you can use Siri https://faq.wiimhome.com/support/so...-using-siri-to-play-music-on-your-wiim-device

Cool, works. But limited to AAC, too. Thanks!

It’s still a lossy aac stream though yes?

Could you explain that in a little more detail please?
Sure. There are two ways to stream music directly from Apple Music to the WiiM Pro. With both of these methods, the music is not streaming from your iOS or MacOS device (you can test this by turning them off). My assumption is that the WiiM Pro device is streaming the music directly from Apple's own cloud services.

Here are the two methods:

1) From the Home app. Tap on the WiiM Pro speaker, and the speaker controls will initially come up (play/prev track/next track). However after a few seconds a selection of playlists from your Apple Music library should appear. It's a bit buggy - they sometimes appear and sometimes don't, or will appear and then disappear. But if they do show up, you can tap a playlist and it will start playing directly from the WiiM Pro device.

2) From the iOS or MacOS Music app. Tap on the AirPlay icon and tap 'Control Other Speakers & TVs'. Select the WiiM Pro device, and you'll be returned to the main Apple Music navigation, but you're now selecting music to play directly on the WiiM Pro device. This is not the same as selecting the WiiM Pro as an AirPlay destination for your phone. This user interface is not at all intuitive or obvious, but it works. You can then return to controlling music on your phone by following the same steps and selecting your phone as the device to control.

Apple is *so close* to having this nailed. They just need to make either/both of the options above a little more reliable and intuitive.

Sure. There are two ways to stream music directly from Apple Music to the WiiM Pro. With both of these methods, the music is not streaming from your iOS or MacOS device (you can test this by turning them off). My assumption is that the WiiM Pro device is streaming the music directly from Apple's own cloud services.

Here are the two methods:

1) From the Home app. Tap on the WiiM Pro speaker, and the speaker controls will initially come up (play/prev track/next track). However after a few seconds a selection of playlists from your Apple Music library should appear. It's a bit buggy - they sometimes appear and sometimes don't, or will appear and then disappear. But if they do show up, you can tap a playlist and it will start playing directly from the WiiM Pro device.

2) From the iOS or MacOS Music app. Tap on the AirPlay icon and tap 'Control Other Speakers & TVs'. Select the WiiM Pro device, and you'll be returned to the main Apple Music navigation, but you're now selecting music to play directly on the WiiM Pro device. This is not the same as selecting the WiiM Pro as an AirPlay destination for your phone. This user interface is not at all intuitive or obvious, but it works. You can then return to controlling music on your phone by following the same steps and selecting your phone as the device to control.

Apple is *so close* to having this nailed. They just need to make either/both of the options above a little more reliable and intuitive.
What you are describing is AirPlay. It runs out of your Apple device. If you shut it down the stream will stop. And it is compressed AAC.

What you are describing is AirPlay. It runs out of your Apple device. If you shut it down the stream will stop. And it is compressed AAC.
Incorrect. As I described above, it continues streaming even if my device is turned off.

Incorrect. As I described above, it continues streaming even if my device is turned off.

I followed your instructions. I get Aurplay. Please post detailed screenshots.

In any case you are describing a hands-off cast pipeline like Chromecast, which Apple does support.

I followed your instructions. I get Aurplay. Please post detailed screenshots.

In any case you are describing a hands-off cast pipeline like Chromecast, which Apple does support.
It confused me too so I googled a bit and it appears what’s being described is Handoff, usually to a HomePod. This Reddit page has screenshots but I don’t get the “control other speakers” option under the airplay list on my IPad. I wonder if it needs a HomePod device visible on the network before it does? Anyway, I can’t reproduce what”s being described.

Last edited:
No idea if I understood correct the issue. Tried it for curiosity.
In iPad settings "Handoff" activated, then the options are

IMG_3012.jpeg

WiiM app after choosing the Pro

IMG_3011.jpeg

Switching off the iPad stops the music.

Last edited:
Back