Long album titles on Home Music Shares not shown completely

MrSoul4470

Major Contributor
Unfortunately WiiM doesn't react on tickets from inside their app anymore, so I try it here:

As the thread title says, long album titles on Home Music Shares are not shown completely, which makes it really hard often to distinguish different album version. The album title is just cut off at the end of the line instead of continuing in another line.

You might say, this is a rare problem, but I have to say it is not. I have quite a large collection and often various releases of the same album. It is a problem I face basically every day.

The Foobar2000 app is a good example of how to make it better. I have added 2 screenshots of the view in the WiiM app compared to how it looks in Foobar2000.

I would really appreciate if WiiM concentrated on making the app how it is work flawlessly, instead of adding new features all the time.

Screenshot_20240324_115158_WiiM Home.jpg

Screenshot_20240324_115233_foobar2000.jpg

Have you submitted a ticket for this then? WiiM won't necessarily respond if they feel they have all the information they need but they'll take note of the request

your file names are to big, personally I use track and title for my file names and if I want to sort for year I sort by year, but all to there own
👍
View attachment 5823
My album names are as long as necessary. How would I differentiate between different releases if it's not in the album title? If you only have one release then your solution might do. And there simple are albums with insanely long names.

And you see that other apps have absolutely no issues handling long album names. Artificially shortening album names is a no-go. They are what they are and a music app has to be able to handle them. You see my example and it tells more than words could. Should I name them all the same and then guess which one I want to listen to?

And BTW, we are not talking about file names, but file tagging. Your tagging of those Beatles albums is simply not complete.

Last edited:
Have you submitted a ticket for this then? WiiM won't necessarily respond if they feel they have all the information they need but they'll take note of the request
I have submitted a ticket long ago and even added info later on, but never get a reaction from WiiM.

Last edited:
That’s fine if you want to organise your collection just using file names, and my album names are not artificially lengthened like yours, I have all the information I need to as you say in the tags and I can sort and view if I need 👍 like I said each to there own 👍
Again, those are tags and not filenames. And there is nothing artificially lengthened. The release name is necessary to tell different releases apart. Without the release name in the album name, how would I know which is which? My collection is huge with a couple of thousand albums. Many of them with different releases.

But whatever the reason is, a music app has to be able to handle album names, no matter how long they are. Foobar2000 and many others don't have a problem with it.

Either way you need to organise your tags properly, if you think that 1967: sgt.pepper’s lonely heart band (etc etc etc) is a correct album name with in the tag that fine 👍 there are fields in the tags I use for that info
But you don't see other tags in the album view of those music apps. You see the artist name and album name. What is it good for to use other tags that are not shown? I have to be able to tell releases apart in the app.

It might not be in the filename, but e.g. "1967: " is still something you added to the album title (when it's clearly not part of the real album title. It's a workaround for bad sorting options inside the apps.

There are e.g. tags for "year" and "originalyear". So, in a 2009 remaster should be tagged year=2009 and originalyear=1967, in theory. Trouble is, almost no player will let you choose between them for sorting, let alone conveniently. Stuff like "50th Anniversary Limited Edition", which you abbreviated heavily ;), won't fit that pattern, of course. The comments tag would fit, but usually isn't available for display.

Edit:
Too late ...

Nope. The year is not in the album title. It is in the Tag. Don't forget it's highly dependent on the server software you use. And those 4 extra digits are hardly the cause of the problem that the app simply cuts off album names.

The comment Tag is not visible in the WiiM app. I start to wonder if the people replying here really use it.

Let's make it simple: No matter how long album names are, they always should be displayed completely. I know enough albums with insanely long names. Cutting the name is not acceptable. We don't have to discuss file tagging. You are saying yourself that the comment Tag is usually not available for display. So basically you can forget it and need to find a workaround.

abbreviated to fit foobar because even foobar has its limitations
I'm not sure it does 😀

Screenshot_20240324-155138~2.png

The album titles are generated by the media server from a number of tags e.g.
%originaldate% - %album% "(from the boxset'" %boxtiitle% "')' '[' %remasterdate% ' Remaster]'

I think the bookmarking stars in the WiiM app might be going at some point so that'll free up a bit more space.

The album titles definitely need to wrap, both in album and track view.

Last edited:
I really don't understand how people can object to something that doesn't disadvantage them. If you could choose between truncated album names and untruncated album names, which would you choose? Isn't that what it is about? Why the need to discuss? Long album names do exist and my screenshots were just examples. So unless you want yours mutilated by the WiiM app there is no need to contradict. And the WiiM app treats track titles the same way. Thanks.

Nobody voted this request down so far, it's just a discussion going on. People could well be convinced following this talk.

Thanks. It's just don't get why Sham's insisting it's not necessary and basically my fault and anyway, no one needs it. It's like I would go to the room-EQ thread and tell people what nonsense it is, just because I don't need it. Such a behavior feels a lot like Kindergarten to me and it's very frustrating In the end we all want our WiiMs to work as perfect as possible.

I really don't understand how people can object to something that doesn't disadvantage them. If you could choose between truncated album names and untruncated album names, which would you choose? Isn't that what it is about? Why the need to discuss? Long album names do exist and my screenshots were just examples. So unless you want yours mutilated by the WiiM app there is no need to contradict. And the WiiM app treats track titles the same way. Thanks.
I must admit I tend to agree and have been surprised where this thread went. To me it’s an understandable feature request and talk of incorrect tagging etc was largely not relevant and missing the point. I guess all that needs said has been said - I hope WiiM take your request on board and implement the ability to see all metadata, maybe by scrolling longer titles or overflowing on to multiple lines.

Back